Inquest

L

Lady Re

Inquest is (to me) kinda the "Mad Magazine" of the Magic world--it is lots of fun to read. They seem to have thier "facts" straight when there is a fact filled artical. (don't laugh too hard) :) And their price guides are often quite inflated, or too late or even just wrong. (Like calling an uncommon a rare and the like...) Plus, unlike Scrye (my favorite all around and all times) they DO NOT list every card in a set with a price. This makes trying to find out what rarity a card is very hard...

But for strictly FUN, it is probably the best of them out there... (IMHO)

C

Cateran Overlord

Tag Guard

Granted, it's very silly and almost never serious, but it's all we have. The alternative is Topdeck, which is not even remotely a replacement for Duelist, and is crap overall. I won't even buy it the once every four issues for a magic booster of the new set and the insert, I'd just buy a Fat Pack (very good stuff ;) ). As a whole though, yes you can trust IQ's information. You can also find a good way to waste an hour or two laughing your head off.

A

Almindhra

I really enjoy InQuest...The latest issue is great...And it talks about comp games and fantasy movies...And other great ccgs (Wheel of Time)...And its really funny...I buy Top Deck too...I'm kind of into Pokemon...And it might pick up WoT

A

Apollo

Okay, it's a funny magazine. But don't trust it's prices. They are all over the place. And it'll sometimes have reports that aren't true, but neglect to mention that they aren't true (I believe they said Cursed Scroll was banned a couple months ago). Buy Inquest if you want to laugh for a while. Buy TopDeck if you want trustworty info.

Apollo

M

Multani

Tag Guard

The Issue I bought had something to do with Mike Long...
as in he completely denies cheating, and make smart comebacks at people (like the CPA) that accuses him of cheating.
Also it's got a Nemesis Playing Guide, Magic X cards, and other stuff.
\

L

Lady Re

Greetings Multani and all our fellow CPA-ers,

Really, I feel Scrye's the best all around, with alot more coverage for Magic than Top Deck (unless you're just buying it for the free booster...Magic related of course) It has alot more articles, columns and information on Magic and conventions then Top Deck, I'd say almost double the amount in Top deck.

Top Deck has alot of Pokemon stuff taking up the majority of it's pages, as it is the "official" publication of Wizards of the Coast, and their top selling CCG is Pokemon, so you really can't expect them to do otherwise... :(

Also, I find that most gaming stores use Scrye for their pricing of cards, using the low or median price on average, and adjusting their prices if they do at all.

And again, Scrye has ALL the cards from each set listed along with prices, so it helps you for both prices and for simply organizing your collection. (I'm still organizing, 'cuz I'd rather PLAY!!) :D

I still think Scrye beats out all others in all things. So that's my 2(hundred) cents... :p

T

theorgg

Me thoughts:

Duelist--This was the one and only best magazine. no two-ways here... $2.99-5.99, depending on timeframe, o.k. price

Inquest-- Good for entertainment value and humour. I love this magazine, but youCANNOT trust their ratings. theese guys are professional GAMEERS, not Magic players. untill Thawing glaciers was seen in just about every deck, they had it given a * or ** rating depending on the issue.
otherwise, cut out the prices and card ratings, it's the best now. $5.99--o.k...

Topdeck--the $#*!!% newcomer. O.k., but only when the issue is focused on Magic. comes with a booster. thats a good thing. $7.99--WTF??????

Scrye--the original. the worse. the best price guide, however. the articals are, as Turtle would put it, pap of poo.

sic semper,

M

Multani

Tag Guard

The only thing good in Scrye is the price guide, true.
Scrye primary focus is a price guide magazine. They only need the price guide to be good. The Player's guide sucks!
They Hunted Wumpus was a GGG 6/6 common! As I later found out, it was 3G 6/6 uncommon.
Oh well. :D

C

Cateran Overlord

SCRYE'S STILL AROUND? Damn, I had no idea, not that I particularly care. to put it quickly:

TopDeck:Buy for info from WotC, do not buy this for ANY other reason!!! It's pure crap (I will NOT mention "This Deck's a Pile", here for I cannot do it without cursing my head off :mad: )

InQuest:Buy this for humor, it's the funniest magazine out there, but the ratings are WAY off (and I mean WAY off, as in manlands at ***) Also, the price guide is off the wall.

Scrye:Always buy this for the price guide, no other reason. Damn, I thought this vanished.

Duelist:Buy this if you can go back in time and want an excellent magazine, i.e. what TopDeck fails to be.