In light of Spiderman's comments...

D

Dune Echo

I am once again bringing up my "I'll create a deck" series. Basically, for those of you that don't know, anyone suggests a card and I will incorporate it into a deck and attempt to break it. This is not unlike Anthony Alongi's contests except I'm creating the deck and therefore YOU OWE ME the card! ;) J/K. Anyway, just post a card and maybe some possible ideas for a deck on what type of deck it is and I'll make a deck for you and post it in this section. Also, anyone wanting to provide ideas towards a card, feel free. The final results will be posted in the Articles section of this website.

P.S. In regards to Spiderman's comments, anyone that wants to post an article, please do! Please focus on the casual though. Anthony Scott's "Voodoo" article was appropriate I think in that it funny and a rant. There was nothing "techy" about it, nothing "tournament quality," and it was just fun. Someone even posted feedback to it in sympathy. Write stuff and we'll put it up!

Z

Zadok001

Greater Good! Do Greater Good! Oh, wait, nevermind, that's my job.

"Someone once told me Greater Good was broken 'cause of me. I'm so proud."

C

Captain Caveman

I'm not exactly sure what your looking
for but how about building a casual deck
around one of these:

Pyromancy
Booby Trap
Storage Matrix
Equipoise
Grafted Skullcap
Mana Cache
Monkey Cage
or
Umbilicus

I don't have any good ideas but I'll try
to come up with something myself and post
it tomorrow.
Thanx,
Caveman

D

Duel

Break Claws of Gix. I wanna see that card broke.

"I once told someone that Greater Good was broken because of him. He seemed so proud."

D

Dune Echo

Caveman, that's exactly what I wanted. Thanks. I'll be working on decks for these cards and I'll be posting an article for that ASAP!

G

Gryphonclaw

All right dune, here's a challenge
A non-casual all counterspell deck.

Here's the restrictions:
No summon/creature cards.
Each card must have the words "counter" and "spell" on it, with the purpose of countering a spell.

Plus monkey cage, I like monkey cage, but haven't figured a really good use for it.

And a squirrel deck, I've made a few of these, I'd like your take on it. It must include liege of the hollows.

Oh! and Bloodhound.

And those pack hunt creatures, like howling wolf etc.

And.....
And....
:D

S

Spaceman Spiff

Um, ok

I want to see someone break damping engine
or atleast make some sorta chaos deck with it

anyway, see ya guys later

Spaceman Spiff, the one thats not from Calvin And Hobbes

Z

Zadok001

Well, here's a start on the Packer critters: Spontaneous Generation. That, plus some basic mana acceleration, light spell shaping, and defense? Here's a general idea decklist, basically in the style of the best M:tG player I've ever known. It's meant for multi-player, btw...

X Pariah
X Martyrdom
4 Spontaneous Generation
4 Howling Wolf
4 Skyshroud Sentinel
4 Nesting Wurm
X Thran Foundry
X Dawnstrider
X Disenchant/Creeping Mold/Desert Twister
1 Overrun
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Fyndhorn Elves

Get the idea? Control, with a twist. If you really make it like afore-mentioned great player would, Saproling Burst, Tragic Poet, and various other removals would be important.

"It's all about the 'spark.'"

D

Duel

Try this, for breaking booby trap.

4x rootwater mystic
4x tinker
4x Booby trap
4x soothsaying
4x impulse
4x mana vault
4x grim monolith
4x junk diver (I finally can use it!)
4x portent
4x counterspell
4x saprazzan skerry
16x islands

D

Dune Echo

Gryphonclaw, can the deck have anything else besides counterspells in it and Monkey Cage? You need another win scenario besides Monkey Cage if your opponent is playing creatureless.

G

Gizmo

There seems to be some real interest in this idea - perhaps we should formalise it and make it like a weekly/fortnightly competition thing for the whole of the CPA?
Thoughts?

G

Gryphonclaw

Wups, I was a bit unclear.

I meant counterspell deck, and as a separate deck idea, a deck based around monkey cage.

Although it's an interesting idea....

As for the alternative win, we're talking non-casual, so running him out of cards by forcing him to draw one per turn is totally legitimate.
Not that I'd ever play this deck, just wondering if it was feasible.

D

Dune Echo

I don't think it is. If you run a total counterspell deck (you would have to include Misdirection), if even one thing slips by you, you've lost. It is possible to have a deck with nothing but counterspells, it's not feasible for a win. It'd be a helluva lot of fun in casual though for annoying everyone else! 8D

D

Duel

Counterspell decks need the big free creatures, archivists w/ forbid, and arcane laboratory.

K

King of Cheese

I've been thinking for a while about a deck using a minimal amount of permanents and then using complex automaton and damping engine because you have so few permanents. Depletion lands are obvious as well as tinker (you don't gain a permanent when you tinker). Any other ideas Dune?

D

Duel

KingofCheese: Umbilicus, Eldamari's vinyard, and creature/lands

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Duel: Was your post that is right after mine above meant as a reply to me? Because if it was, I don't get it... if it wasn't, fugeddaboudit...

D

Dune Echo

I don't think it was Spiderman.

King of Cheese: Hmmm, Damping Engine and Complex Automaton have a lot of synegy. That's a good idea. Why don't you make a deck around that idea with the suggestions you and others have put in above?