Important

D

Duel

Yeah, I know, I'm as sorry as you are. God, it feels good to have an "off topic" forum.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's nice. I heard a rumor today, that David Lee Roth is re-joining Van Halen.

Again.

Any truth to it, ya' think?

TomB
CPA Member

C

Chaos Turtle

Who cares? He sucks. Van Halen has sucked for years now.

Killer Joe

As true as that may be (that they're not good anymore), their legacy is awesome. The drum lick intro of "Hot for Teachers" is one of the best 4-way hand coordination licks in modern rock history. In his "day", Eddie Van Halen was thee most sought after and affluent guitaists among his peers. It might interest you to know that it was Eddie who wanted the band to progress and have a more "pop" appeal to the group while David Lee Roth wanted to stay a grungy (a word not from that era) type road touring rock band.
When Sammy Hagar joined the group in late 1985, the band needed an image boost since the sales of the album (no CD's then) "1984" were way down. Their audiance started calling them "Van-Hagar".
BTW: Maybe I DO like this idea.

C

Chaos Turtle

I certainly didn't mean to imply that Van Halen has always sucked! ;)
I actually did like the first Van Hagar effort (God, I'm remembering high school, I will punish you for this...) but since then...
I never liked David Lee Roth much on his own, although I did like "Yankee Rose." The "California Girls" thing was just too ubiquitous to tolerate. Speaking of overplayed music, anyone remember the metoric rise and even-faster fall of the great Austrian rap/rocker, Falco? :cool: HAHAHA!
I loved "Rock Me Amadeus" does that make me a freak?

I like this area, too, it's nice to be able to talk about non-Magic stuff from time to time... shows we're not obsessed.

Killer Joe

"Falco": a 1/1 white flying creature w/Protection from red (Visions)?

Whoa, don't get me started on "One-Hit-Wonders" from the 80's.

Remember "In a Big Country" from the group of the same name?
-or-
"Forever Young" by Alphaville?
-or-
"Some like it Hot" by Power Station?

oh yeah, my brother is a professional DJ (since the early 80's).

What was the name of the group that recorded "Life in a Northern Town"?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Love the 80's music! Have many a CD with "Greatest Hits of the 80's Vol. XX".

Didn't Van Halen's album "1984" have "Jump" on it? If so, wasn't it a good-selling album?

I have no idea myself...

Killer Joe

"1984" was so powerful that it did soar in sales, but like anything else that is good (Visions) people want more of it and David Lee Roth knew it. His problem was that HE Wasn't the reason that VH was so sucessful, it was that the group started to appeal to a wider audience that liked the suedo-pop-rock bands new sound amd in turn wanted more.
David left, the sales started to slow down and Eddie and crew were stuck with no front man. (Iiiiiiiiii ain't got noboooooooody).

Now who out there is a Rush fan?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I thought and why I was confused by Yellowjacket's statement. Maybe he meant sales of the album AFTER 1984.

I like just a couple of Rush songs, Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, and Free Will? but to be honest I haven't listened to ALL of their stuff so I don't know.

T

theorgg

<holds match and fallen tree up to arse>
Frrrt!

<Holds up flaming torch and screams"I got a little blac book wif me poems in">

PINK FLOYD
Is the best band from the 80's.

even if they broke up in '83!

best band ever...

A

arhar

Yee-haaaaaw!! 80s RULE!!!!!!!!!1

Rush is freaking awesome even now.. Spirit of the Radio KICKS ASS!!! And Forever Young? Oh man, memories.. memories.. What about "Rock You like a Hurricane"??! Scorpions man!! I went to their concert in 97. And hair-metal? Love it!!! "18 and life is over.. 18 and life..." What about Metallica, Sepultura and Slayer as they just started? Sorry my furry friend, but PF were much better in the 70s (IMHO) although Learning to Fly was an awesome song. What about Genesis? Invisible Touch, Land of Confusion.... Man I love those songs!!! "Here in my car, I feel safest of all... DUM-DUM Tainted love.. aaah.. Tainted Love..... CEMETARY GATES MAN!!! And what about - King Diamond?!??! 80s was the best decade for music, ever!!! Fudge 70s and it's disco!! Fudge 90s and it's trance and rap (sorry, my opinions, if I offended anyone) Fudge 60's and its stupid deaths of overdosing.... 80s RULE!!!!!!

..... now can you belive i'm not even 19 yet?
=)))

rant - end.

Killer Joe

arhar:
DuranDuran
Thompson Twins
Men at Work
Dream Academy
A-Ha
Pet Shop Boys
ABC
Go West
Big Country
Twisted Sister
Katrina and the Waves
White Snake
Def Lepard
.....got a woody yet?

A

arhar

......speaking like Beavis and Butthead...

BOOING-BOOING-BOOING-BOOING-BOOING-BOOING-BOOING-BOOING-BOOING-BOOING-BOOING-BOOING-BOOING-BOOING!!!!!!

:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yellowjacket, what about:

Go-Gos
Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Bangles
Toni Basil
<somebody> and the Dixie Riders
Rick Astley
Run DMC (face it, they brought rap into mainstream)
Cars
Rick Springfield
Dead or Alive
Poison
Huey Lewis and the News
Billy Idol