I'm kinda new to magic and I just started playing Counterspell, Question!!

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by XDanish, Aug 7, 2000.

1. XDanish Sadistic Wizard

Say my opponent has out a Concordant Crossroads(which gives everything haste). He brings out a Birds of Paradise, taps the Bird, brings out a Llanowar Elf, taps the Elf....and so on. Say I counter the BoP, what happens to all the elf's?
  2. Jaws10387 Hiding

TAG GUARD
    if you countered the BoP then all of the elves would stay in his hand
  3. Y The Alien Deity

They would never come into play. If you countered the original spell, the BoP never comes into play for him to tap.
  4. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Remember, just because the creatures have haste does not mean that they can be played as instants.
  5. Erbrich New Member

Technically, you are supposed to counter the BoP before it resolves. If the opponent has played it and then taps it to play the elf, it is really too late and the opponent doesn't have to allow you to counter--PROVIDED that the opponent announced that the Birds were on the stack and gave you the opportunity to respond.

Erb
  6. Gizmo Composite: 1860

Countermagic only works when the spell is being cast.

It doesn`t go straight from his hand to play, it goes via what is known as 'the stack' (of spells waiting to happen, basically).
    Your opponent annoucnes that he will cast the BoPs, but he then HAS to give you an opportunity to use a counterspell in response. If the BoPs are countered, they never hti play so he can never tap them for mana.