If I go down, then I'm taking all of you with me

R

Rakarth

It's been a while since I put a deck list on here.

I've begun to play a lot more regularly and although I play one v one, the group I play with prefer to play multiplayer, and none of this silly 2HG or Emperor :p we play proper Chaos mulitplayer free-for-alls.

This does change how you think about deck construction and here's one of a few I'll be posting for your criticism and comments.

It's been christened as the screw everyone deck, and the thinking behind it is load the deck with as many spells as I can that hurt everyone or everyone's creatures at the same time. I don't want to show favor so I want to attack everyone at the same time. Unfortunately, while immensely good fun to play, the deck is problematic in that I tend to die quickly from my own efforts. I need a way to stay alive while getting everyone's attention at the same time :D

Here's the list.

1 Sulfurous Springs
4 Rakdos Carnarium
4 Swamp
4 Mountain
3 Ur-Golem's Eye
4 Rakdos Signet
1 Izzet Signet
1 Orhov Signet
1 Leaden Myr
1 Manamorphose

3 Grave Peril
2 Bond of Agony
1 Smallpox
3 Delirium Skeins
1 Sizzle
1 Pyroclasm
1 Inferno
1 Wildfire
1 Skullcage
1 Rivalry
1 Winter Orb
3 Coalhauler Swine
1 Gibbering Descent
1 Ebony Owl Netsuke
2 Flame-Kin War Scout
2 Blockbuster
2 Sadistic Augermage
2 Magnivore
1 Dragon's Claw
2 Urborg Syphon-Mage
4 Vampiric Link

Ok so the deck looks very scattered and unfocused which is why I'm asking for a bit of help :)

A few cards work really well together. Chief among which are Rivarly, Winter Orb and Having my mana come from signets and very few lands. Skullcage and the Ebony Owl Netsuke are good together or on there own cause they will catch people with the wrong hand size at some point.

Coalhauler Swine is a great deterrent and can often take the focus away because anyone who insists on attacking me will also be hurting everyone else when I block :) Vampiric Link on Coalhauler works wonders but people aren't that stupid to let it stay on there for long.

What should stay in and what has to go, bearing in mind that the deck wasn't concieved to be really that good. The chance of winning would be nice that's all hehe ;) Should there be more solid spells that hurt everyone or morer stuff like Sulfurous Blast and Rain of Embers that just pings everyone else? There's also the possibility f Stronghold Rats or Poisonbelly Ogre, maybe Crack The Earth?

Any and all help is appreciated :D

Rakarth

R

Rakarth

Both good :D

Pox might be a bit difficult to include with it being triple black but syphon soul is great one shot life gain. Thanks

R

Rakarth

Grave Pact hmmmm.... I like this :D

As for why red is in there, it's because I find red more fun to play with. Black is good but I find that just killing something is a bit boring :p I suppose this is contrary to me asking for help then disregarding it but red has become a favorite of mine. I prefer the aggresive nature of the red cards to the falt out denial of the black.

Another reason which has just come to mind is that in my play group there are a few people playing creature less decks which often negate the use of Grave Peril, Flame-Kin War Scout etc but they aren't immune to me laying down Coalhauler Swine, Vampiric Link and the pinging with Rain of Embers or Inferno/Wildfire.

I guess I can't see black winning the game for me, at least not in the way I want to play if that makes any sense?

Rakarth

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Rakarth said:
I prefer the aggresive nature of the red cards to the falt out denial of the black.

I guess I can't see black winning the game for me, at least not in the way I want to play if that makes any sense?
If you have the mana to make it work, a splash is worth it most of the time. Both colors have a high colored mana requirement. I don't see your list starting with "4 badlands, 4 bloodstained mire", so I'm not sure if this deck can handle it. At least not the 1BBB for grave pact. Besides, while Grave pact is a great card, you need a deck that works with it.

I'd like to help, but I'm not sure what you want with this deck. I guess "deal damage to everyone", plus "don't die in the process". Equals "mono red control" plus "black splash for fun and profit"? Sounds like a decent deck to me.

So:

4x Aether flash

This is imho the card you want. You don't want to die, so make sure you don't die to creatures. Thus:

4x Earthquake (or Starstorm!)/pyroclasm

Or both of them. I'd like any deck to start with 4x pyroclasm, and I dislike everyone who's playing creatures with a toughness higher than 2. I rarely play Zoo anymore, but I think I'll cut red from my Survival deck and rebuild my Stormbind deck. It's the only deck I've had together since, well, Ice age, and when I took it apart I almost stopped playing. There HAS to be a connection here... Anyway, back to the deck.

Now, secret tech:

1-4x Repercussion

OK, 4x might overdo it. Throw in some black tutors and you can go down to 2. Combo's nicely with:

1-4x Kindle the carnage

Now, I think you've just killed about every creature on the board. At this point you have to decide if you still want to play with creatures or not. But just to make sure:

1-4x Everlasting torment. Wither kills everything. Eventually... besides, life gain sucks.

However, you still need to win yourself.

4x Bottle gnomes. Yes yes, life gain sucks, but you don't want to die before you win. You can sack the gnomes before Repercussion damage/trigger resolves.

More creatures? I'm not sure. The one requirement is that they won't kill you, so they need pro: red. And they have to be red, or black (or artifact). Hmmm...

This one fits the theme:

1x Subterranean spirit. Heh. Brings back memories.

That's about it. You could try Akroma's memorial. If you get something in play, Sword of fire and ice works. You could go with indestructible creatures (Stuffy doll fits the theme), but you'd still get repercussion damage yourself.

I'm not sure you really want or need creatures. You surely don't have to attack. If you don't want to attack, what about Ensnaring bridge/Grafted skullcap? That'll keep you safe.

More damage on a stick:

1x Bloodfire collossus. You can sack it before damage as well.

My signature card:

4x Varchild's war-riders

OK, I admit, I worked towards this. I'll turn any deck into a VWR deck ;) But think about it:

-survives Aether flash: check
-makes a lot of tokens for your opponent: check
-do survivor tokens die from Aether flash: check
-does Repercussion+Aether flash make your opponents cry when you give them tokens: check

See? Best. Card. Ever.

Throw in Dingus staff, soul net, whatever. Corpse dance for the Bottle gnomes and Collossus. Pyrohemia. Or if you dip more into black, Pestilence, Hunted Wumpass, Crypt rats. Don't forget to bring a Shivan gorge.

And to finish:

1x Last laugh.

B

BigBlue

Shabbaman... I like that... I had/have one similar... (Never thought of the War Riders! Very cool) I run a Red splashed w/ White version...

It uses Land Tax w/ Seismic Assault + Repercussion...

Other cards for this type of deck...

Caltrops - great w/ Repercussion...
Powerstone Minefield - (White, but does 2 to attackers instead of 1... name may be wrong from memory)
Beasts of Bogarden - Pro Red... if you splash White, you can even use Purelace to give them a White Land... :) )

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Powerstone minefield and Caltrops are great, but not good enough: you don't want your opponent to have a choice in what to do with the tokens. If they don't attack or block, they don't get repercussion damage. My deck runs Leyline of the void and Tainted Aether.

Tainted Aether, that's what you run if you want everyone to hate you. Burning sands does something similar, but Tainted Aether is pure evil. You could build a deck around that card, it's that good.

Another option is Night of soul's betrayal (or something similar, like Ascendant evincar or Engineered plague). What you're looking for with Tainted Aether is a state based effect, because your opponent can't respond to it. It won't work with repercussion/aether flash though.

B

BigBlue

Don't get me wrong... I have Aether Flash too... it's for multiplayer... the Seismic assault gives me another win condition in case they go creatureless... I try to run it w/ at most 4 lands in play... every other land becomes a shock. It could probably also use Manabarbs/power surge to get other decktypes.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Power surge, the card that should've been reprinted in Prophecy... Anyway, Land tax and Seismic assault, that's one of the first decks with real synergy (other than islands+counterspell) I ever played against. Really strong. Instead of land tax you could play Life from the loam as well. And Devastating dreams, which is red, and very good. The deck is creatureless?

While you're at it, Terravore and Countryside crusher, and you have a viable legacy deck.

But that would take the deck into other colors than black and red.

The Poisonbelly ogre Rakarth mentions is also nice with token creators btw. Add 4 Hunted dragons to above list. That card has brilliant flavor text btw.

One card I found that might solve your life loss problems in the appropriate colors is Circle of affliction. Dross harvester is another one, but that might not get you in a winning position.

I forgot to mention the following merits of VWR:
-gives tokens to otherwise creatureless players
-it's a better two drop on the second turn than Tarmogoyf, because it's most likely bigger
-it has trample (and Tarmogoyf doesn't)
-it has better art than Tarmogoyf (but then again, what card doesn't?)
-but the best of all: it has rampage.

Not that I've encountered anyone that would actually block, or anyone who still remembers what rampage is, but if anyone would block, you could shout (in true Unreal style)

R A M P A G E ! ! !

I know, pretty awesome.