ICQ List and Chat Room

S

superguy

Even though I haven't been in casualplayers for long, I like it, and I started noticing some things that I believe should be added. One of the most important things is ICQ active list, so that it's easier for members to find each other, whether they want to simply talk or play Apprentice. Also, a chat room would improve this site a lot, and I'm not talking about 10- look at Dojo, come there anytime, nobody ever in their chat rooms. One chat room, at least for now, would really help for users without ICQ to communicate. Respond, tell me what you think, and who we can contact with these requests.

Ferret

Staff member
I've always thought using ICQ is a great idea - unfortunately, I don't have an internet connection at home, so if anyone wants to get ahold of me they have to email or post here to get my attention...

-ferret

"...lost in the void..."

Z

Zadok001

What about using mIRC? I think most of us have it, since we've dl-ed Apprentice. Not sure if it costs anything to set up a room, Mike and MotL made one a while back. What about making one purely for the CPA?

I'd like to use ICQ too, my # is 45763600. Warning, though. I don't usually take the time to leave away messages, so sometimes I'm not gonna answer. :) My 'puter stays on, usually 'cause it's rendering some god-awful long animation in Blender, but I'm no where around. So, if I don't answer, chances are I'm _not_ ignoring you, I'm just far, far away.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
UIN: 1637790
Nick: Ed Sullivan (ironic, eh?)

Anyway, Chuck should actually be setting up a chat room. (*cough**cough*)

And sometime this weekend I'll write an ICQ hack -- so it'll display when you're online, etc.

-mike

S

superguy

No doubts about it- mIRC is good, but ICQ active list would surely make members feel more "at home" and knowing that everyone there is from casualplayers. It's also a great way to send everyone in the list a message, about a trade, a deck idead, or anything else. Now the chatroom is just a so much better way for people to communicate here. If we only make one, at least for now, we won't have the same problem dojo has. We can then expand from there, knowing that people will actually go to the rooms, to talk whatever they want to talk about. I believe that we can get a single chat room from(for example) http://www.paralogic.com for free. And we can expand from there, as we get more people to talk about different issues.

C

ChasDen

Hello All,

Already done:

http://www.magic-singles.com/chat/cpalounge.html

This is a basic chat room that will handle up to 20 people at a time. This is straight out of the box as they say, because I have had no time to mess around with customizing it or playing with the features yet. It is a real-time java chat room and may take a minute to load. Take a look and let me know if this is the kind of thing we could use. If so I will spend some time setting it up.

BTW we are licensed to run up to 10 rooms simultaneously for up to 200 people at once.

Enjoy

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Cool. Thanks, Chuck! :D

The Chatroom is a great idea. ICQ is too. I like ICQ because I can log into it and then go ahead and do other stuff. If someone sends me a message while I'm on it lets me know, so I can respond, without making me watch it continuously, and you can post messages to be answered later, kinda' like e-mail. They've even got a Magic active list, though it's usually not very active when I'm online late at night! Maybe we could start a CPA active list?

BTW, my ICQ# is 60577320.

TomB
CPA Member

S

superguy

Hi Everyone,
First of all I would like to say thanks to Chuck for his efforts in making the chatroom work. It is very appreciated. Now, the ICQ active list was what I was talking about all along. SImply log in to ICQ, check who's online, then simply send them a message, either to that person or to everyone. Its a great way to contact people, its easy, and you can post news there too. Example: I need help with a deck. I send a message to everyone who's online, or just simply post it on Active list news. Whoever reads it, and think they have to help, can come to the chat or just send me suggestions. It would be really easy, and I would like to know what the leader of CPA thinks about it. Also, can you put the link to the chatroom?

W

Wizard2000

Using IRC as a meeting place would be a good idea. I use IRC all the time. Maybe we could all join a channel on Dalnet? I will start going into a channel called #mtg_cpa If anyone wants to join in feel free.