I need to know the name of this artifact

Killer Joe

It's an artifact that has your opponent discard their library into their graveyard equal to the power or toughness of a creature you sacrificed.

N

Nightstalkers

That card goes great in a show and tell deck. Even if the creature in your hand is crap, you can always swing the next turn, then if your opponent has something to say about it you just chuck the critter to punish your opponent for trying to get rid of it.

L

Lythand

Let me post my alter of dimentia deck. I play it a lot in Multiplayers.

4 Altars of Dimentia
4 Volraths shapshifter
4 Unstable shapeshifter
4 Clones
4 Controle magic
4 Leviathan
4 reigns of power
4 Capsize
4 Propaganda
4 Lifeline
4 Karmic Guide

The Karmic guide will give you an infinite combo, and a lot of people don't like them. And yes its over 60, its a multiplayer deck. If you wanna play one on one with it, you need to tweak it some.

L

Lythand

Oversoul said:
Kind of hard to cast all that stuff with no manabase... :rolleyes:
:yawn: Well I think you can kinda figure out what mana to put in there..

K

Killerbob

"The Karmic guide will give you an infinite combo"

Sorry, but theres no infinite combo. Even in casual you have to use current errata -if not you will face a lot of problems.

Karmic Guide
3WW (5), Creature - Spirit 2/2
Flying; protection from black; echo (At the beginning of your next upkeep after this permanent comes under your control, sacrifice it unless you pay its mana cost.)
When Karmic Guide comes into play, if you played it from your hand, return target creature card from your graveyard to play.

Now you have to play it from your hand. But it probably didnt work anyway, since lifeline only resolves one time each turn. I´m not sure what your combo is, so I cant be more specific.

L

Limited

Before errata, you could sacrifice a Karmic Guide to <whatever> and then play a second one, returning it to play. But, before the first one comes back, you sacrifice the second one to <whatever> so that they keep bringing each other back to play..

Fortunately, this obvious abuse has been handled by the spiffy Magic Rules Team. :)

L

Lythand

BLASPHOMY! That rots. I never knew it got errated. And yes as limited stated, thats how I used the combo.

K

Killerbob

So you didnt really use the lifeline. I understand better then :)

As Limited stated, the combo is obvious. I dont understand how Wizards can print a card like this and miss the combo. Maybe they do it on purpose, because mistakes like that keeps the game alive. I dont know.

The combo have some things in common with the combo in my new vampire themedeck:

Soul Collector + Pandemonium + some sac-thing. Probably Altar of Dementia or Blasting Station. Or Soul Collector + 3 Pandemoniums :)

Pandemonium works nicely with vampires. Finding an infinite combo was just too good to be true :)

L

Lythand

The lifeline was just to keep the Mill process going everyturn. Even when it wasnt my turn I was milling people thanks to lifeline.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Killerbob said:
As Limited stated, the combo is obvious. I dont understand how Wizards can print a card like this and miss the combo. Maybe they do it on purpose, because mistakes like that keeps the game alive. I dont know.
Well, since it's from Urza's Block, it probably fell into the same category as the "untap lands" spells. And if Wizards was doing their "two year ahead planning" design thing, it would have only been in '96, when Magic was still early...

K

Killerbob

Early yes, but not too early to think in comboes. I dont know anything about their planning, but two years before Urza was Miragetime. This was the time for Pros-Bloom and Turbostasis. Magic was advanced at that point. It should be possible to see this combo.
When Urza was printed we had played gravediggers for a year.
"If I have two gravediggers, this is nice, if I can play them for free, it is broken."
"We give you: Karmic Guide!".
I dont believe that they couldnt see it, and I find it hard to believe that they cant change anything a year before print. They do it on purpose, or they are extremely incompetent. There are other examples of cards which everybody should be able to see needed errata. I also think that they should have been able to see that affinity was broken in type 2. Maybe they did. But affinity created a lot of hype.
Hype = money. If nothing was broken, people wouldnt be that interrested in buying cards.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt it. There were combos with the "untap lands" cards which they didn't see, so Karmic Guide got overlooked as well.

It's all easy to see in hindsight but without knowing who was there and what exactly they were doing, it's hard to make a call. Yeah, you can go one way and say they were "incompetent" or you can give them the benefit of the doubt and say it slipped through.

What would be more telling would be seeing how many broken combos they DID find in development and didn't let through.

And I think Aaron Forsythe explained about Affinity somewhere... remember, there's only x amount of members on the testing team and thousands of Magic players out in the real world. It just stands to reason that it's easier for the latter group to find combos or use cards in ways not thought of by the team.

D

DarthFerret

Plus it is easy for wording on cards to be misinterpreted. We all know (or at least most should) that the original wording on Time Walk was : Opponent Loses His Next Turn.

Someone (although not very bright) assumed that this meant that thier opponent Lost the game, on thier next turn.

L

Limited

Ah, misinterpreting cards :)

"Do you have a Book Burning?"
"Err. no. Why?"
"You get six damage and put the top six cards from your library in your graveyard unless you have Book Burning"

(Book Burning)

J

Jigglypuff

You know, I never figured out how people managed to mis-interpret that card. It's really obvious if you, oh I don't know, read the whole damn card. There is no comma or any other punctuation marks following the "has Book Burning" part, so I don't understand how anyone with enough brains to play Magic could possibly interpret that as a separate phrase.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Never heard of the Book Burning misinterpretation... but I think that and the Time Walk (and Time Vault, and the original Rukh Egg, and the Wall of Boom deck, and the Waylay controversy) are all cases of people trying to find loopholes in the wording of cards and/or the rules so they can have a "leg up" on the competition. Sometimes it's valid, sometimes not...