I am looking for new variants.

B

beebleboy

I currently run a website devoted to magic variants and eventually I am going to make a book about it. I currenly have 144 different variants listed with a few more on the way. I am looking for any variants that I do not have posted. They can be something you made up, something someone showed you, something you play at your local shop, or something you have read somewhere. If you don't know all the rules for it, just post what you know and maybe someone else will know about it. Or if you play one of the below differently then what I have posted. No idea is to dumb. If you know any, please post below, PM me or email me at magicvariants@yahoo.com.Listed below are all the variants I have listed on the site:

I am currently also looking for anyone to make up rules on how to play magic like other card games. For example:

Pokemon
Warhammer 40k (the card game)
Magi Nation
Warlords
and so on....

Thanks in advance,
Beebleboy (bob)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Sorry to say that I can't think of any that you haven't already named, but I may say that this is a very nice source. When starting casual games, I will refer to your lists to find new ways to play.

Ransac, cpa trash man

J

Jigglypuff

Here's one from Anthony Alongi from back when he was with starcitygames.com:

"FORMAT #5: EMPEROR WITH MOLE. Okay, I haven't worked out all the details of this, but I THINK it would work in any Emperor game with at least three players to each side. (I suspect it would work better if you had five or seven to a team.) The original emperor idea is unattributed, but the "Mole" twist is mine.

You start with a typical Emperor format (quick primer for the uninitiated: odd-numbered-man teams, teammates sit adjacent to each other, object is to kill the opposing emperor who sits in the middle of a team, you have limited range for attack/spells). Doesn't matter horribly if you move creatures or not, what the range is, or any of that. (I think it will work out to be slightly more fun if you allow creatures to move from one teammate to another, and if you keep range limited to one for all players.)

You play the game normally, with the following twist. At the beginning of the game, randomly, anonymously, and secretly assign a "Mole" to each team. (My suggested method: Make two piles of traditional playing cards, one of red cards and one of black cards. The number of cards in each pile is equal to the number of players on each team. Make sure there is exactly one Jack in each pile. Randomly assign the black cards to one team and the red cards to the other team, all face down. NO ONE LOOKS AT THEIR CARD.) It is key that the mole NOT be aware of his or her own status. I suppose you could have players peek to see if they're it, but they'll play in a way that will reveal themselves to good players...better to keep the Mole in the dark, too.

So you play your Emperor game, la la la, isn't life delicious, until one Emperor is reduced to ten life. (Optional rule: if combat damage, a spell, or an ability would reduce an Emperor's life to less than ten, and the opposite team's Mole has not been revealed, then that Emperor resets her life to ten life as a result of that damage, spell, or ability. All other damage, spells, or abilities on the stack then fizzle... that prevents the winning team from piling on multiple Bolts or some such wet-blanketness.)

At that point, as a triggered ability (so this may happen in the midst of a stack), all players on the OTHER team (the team that has driven their enemy Emperor to ten life) reveal their cards. The player who has the Jack (in my example) is the Mole, and is immediately in alliance with the opposite team. All permanents the Mole controls at the time of the switch stay with the Mole and his new team.

The idea here is to give a flagging team a second chance, by adding to their ranks. Don't worry, of course the other Mole is waiting to be triggered as well.

Here comes the fun part. There are two things that can go horribly wrong:

1) The Mole can be a player who has already died, or

2) The Mole can be the opposing Emperor herself.

In the first case - a dead Mole, or as I shall dub the situation, "Roadkill" - I think a simple reshuffle and immediate reassignment of the Mole role ought to do the trick. Just keep randomly assigning until the Mole is someone who's alive.

A bit more complex situation arises when the Emperor is the Mole for the other team. Here's what I suggest: take the two players to her immediate left and right. Whoever has the highest life total is the new Emperor for the mole-ridden team. A dire situation, to be sure. But great fun!

It should be quite possible to end up with two broken teams before long, with both Moles revealing themselves to be deep within opposing territory and wreaking havoc.

I think I will propose this to my group soon; but I will wait until we can manage a five-on-five."

(- Steve -)

W

WickedBoy6

Here's a few Magic Variants I've played with my friends against. Many of these have to do with multiplayer Magic, but there's some good variants for one-on-one duels as well. Most of these, you may have seen before:

Blitz
During your draw step, draw from your library until your hand contains exactly 7 cards.

Blood Magic
At the end of each player's first turn, instead of the normal discard step, each player may discard from one to four cards. Next turn, players draw as many cards as they discarded last turn. Players still may only hold 7 cards in hand.

Dual Library
Players begin with two libraries; one consisiting of all land cards (basic or otherwise), the other contains all spells (creatures, sorceries, etc.). Players draw their initial hand in any combination from the two libraries, and can draw from either during their draw step or in any combination due to a game effect like Browbeat or Howling Mine.

Eureka!
Before the first turn begins, proceeding in turn order, each player may choose an permanent in their hand and put that card into play without paying it's casting cost (lands can be laid down, as well, with no limit). Continue until each player in turn has declined to put a card into play. Play continues normally.

Eureka! Blitz
WARNING! This variant is not for everyone! Instead of an initial hand, players draw 15 cards each. Before the first turn begins, proceeding in turn order, each player may choose an permanent in their hand and put that card into play without paying it's casting cost (lands can be laid down, as well, with no limit). Continue until each player in turn has declined to put a card into play. During a player's draw step, draw from your library until your hand contains exactly 7 cards. Players do not discard for having over 7 cards in hand.

Musical Magic
Start a normal multiplayer game. Every ten minutes (your time may vary), whoever's the active player finishes his or her turn, then rolls a six-sided dice. Each player then moves that number of seats clockwise around the table, then play resumes. When the game winds down to two decks left, those players finish the game.

One or the Other
During your draw step, draw two cards and bury one of them.

Prismatic Hybrid
Any point of colored mana can be paid for by two mana of an allied color. (Quicksilver Dragon could be cast by paying 4UU [normal cost], or with 4BBU [substituting BB for one U], or with 4WWWW [substituting WW for each U], etc.)

Terminator
Creature damage is permanent. Use counters to indicate current toughness.

The Quick Game at Lunch
Fastbond and Howling Mine are in play before the game starts. They cannot be target or destroyed in any way. If you wish, substitute Mana Flare for Fastbond.

Two-Headed Giants
Two teams of two sit together and players alternate in an X pattern. Each team has one life point total which starts at 40, thouhgh they do not share mana. Anything which affects either player's life is taken from this total. When a player is attacking, his teammate may not attack with creatures, but may send creatures to defend an attack, and instants and fast effects from any player can be played. Cards which say "you" will only affect one team member. Cards which say "opponent" will only affect one of your opponents. Cards which affect both players in a duel affect all players.

World of Antausia
Before beginning a duel, roll a ten-sided dice to determine the "realm" the duel takes place in. The "realms" cannot be targeted or destroyed in any way.

On a roll of 1, the realm is "The Caverns of Martuk". Treat this realm as a Howling Mine (all players draw one additional card during their draw step).
On a roll of 2, the realm is "The Fertile Lands of Saulvinia". Treat this realm as a Mana Flare (all lands tapped for mana produces one more of the appropriate color mana per land).
On a roll of 3, the realm is "Mandrake's Mountain". Treat this realm as a Meekstone (creatures with power greater than 2 do not untap during their controller's untap phase).
On a roll of 4, the realm is "The Fortified Open Lands". Treat this realm as a Castle (all untapped creatures gain +0/+1).
On a roll of 5, the realm is "The Great City of Bosconius". Treat this realm as a Celestial Prism (any player may change two mana of any color into one mana of any color. Only two mana can be changed in this fasion by a player during that player's turn).
On a roll of 6, the realm is "The Wastes of Farreach". Treat this realm as a Kismet (all creatures, lands, and artifacts come into play tapped. Those permanents that normally come into play tapped must spend an additional turn tapped).
On a roll of 7, the realm is "The Power Pools of Bledingard". Treat this realm as a Mightstone (all attacking creatures gain +1/+0 until the end of the turn).
On a roll of 8, the realm is "Icedale". Treat this realm as a Winter Orb (each player may only untap one land during his or her untap phase).
On a roll of 9, the realm is "The Antausian Vortex". No effect happens initially. After the first cycle of players, reroll to see what the new realm in effect is. This realm remains until another cycle is completed, at which time another roll is made. If "Antausian Vortex" is rolled during these rolls, there is no effect for that cycle.
On a roll of 10, roll the die again twice (ignoring rolls of 9 or 10) to select two realms of Antausia to be in effect for the duel.

Resident Evil
Play a normal multiplayer game until there are only three players left. When the next player loses all of his life points, he becomes a "Resident Evil". That person's life points are now 0 and continues to play the game as normal, though he or she cannot be targeted by spells or effects, nor can that person be attacked. If a "Resident Evil" kills one of the remaining "living" players,he or she returns to the duel at the same life points as the other "living" player, and the player that was destroyed by the "Resident Evil" now becomes the "Resident Evil" him/herself. The duel can only end when one "living" player destroys the other "living" player, and that player wins the duel.

Duel Magic(Based on Yu-Gi-Oh's Duel Monster's game)
All creatures have haste and trample.
Ignore all non-mana creature tap abilities and effects that tap creatures.
All creatures have morph 0 and can be played face down as long as that creature is the only one played this turn.
Any creature with a casting cost of 4 or less may be played for free, as long as it is the only creature you play that turn.
Any creature with cc 5 or 6 has "Sacrifice a creature" as an alternate cost, but you can only play that creature if you choose that cost.
Any creature with cc 7 or 8 has "Sac 2 creatures" as an alternate cost, with the same rules as 5-6.
You may remove up to 5 of any total of artifacts, instants, enchantments and sorceries from the game face down during your turn. If you do, you may play one of those for free.
Only one global enchantment may be in play at a time.
Instants must be RFG'ed face down.
At the end of any turn in which a creature didn't attack, it gains "whenever this creature blocks, all creatures it blocks lose trample." Both the trample loss and the ability wear off at the start of your next turn.