Hunting Grounds...

T

train

I have an idea for a viable Hunting Grounds 5-color new type 2 deck, but how do I protect the hunting grounds without counters???

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I missed the "type 2" part.

I guess I have no idea what it's the latest blocks really to offer any good suggestions; else I would have also said that guy who brings back enchantments as a CIP :)

T

train

There just may be a weenie like that - I'll have to look...

Thanks, O Webbed-One!:cool:

T

train

See I knew there was a weenie out there that loved me!!!!

Thanks Rkoelsch - I don't have to look it up now - just have to find some!!!...:D

N

Nightstalkers

But remember that you need threshold to use the effect of HG

T

train

Threshold is pretty simple with land fetching and madness... it's implemented in the deck... Thanks for the reminder though...;)

N

NorrYtt

How about a Type II Enchantress deck w/ Verduran Enchantress and Yavimaya Enchantress. Enchantress is best as W/G.

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Verduran Enchantress
4 Yavimaya Enchantress
2 Auramancer
2 Nomad Mythmaker

4 Living Wish

4 Elephant Guide
4 Enchantress's Presence
4 Kirtar's Desire
4 Pariah

1 Astral Slide
2 Hunting Grounds
2 Worship

Umm...nevermind. That deck doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

T

train

That seems pretty viable...

I'd personally put in Tuskers though...

N

Nightstalkers

W\G\U deck that counters, puts out critters, and shells out the life gain?

what a world

have a joyous holiday!!! Mu-ha ha ha ha ha :D

T

train

I tested a deck similar to norrytt's idea and it worked well... bu tthe deck is weak vs. blue/mono black...

I'm working on things like the anurid scavenger which would get the elephant guides back... and other things...

R

Rooser

I came up with a deck to quickly abuse Hunting Grounds. It doesn't address all of your issues, but if it goes off as quickly as I'd want it to, it might not matter. Of course, I'm missing some of the cards for this, but......

Land (24):
Wooded Foothills x4
Windswept Heath x4
Riftstone Portal x4
Mountain x6
Plains x4
Forest x2

Spells (16):
Tremble x4
Hunting Grounds x4
Book Burning x4
Browbeat x4

Creatures (20):
Ernham Djinn x4
Phantom Nishoba x4
Silver Serraph x4
Anurid Brushhopper x4
Krosan Groundshaker x4

You can tremble away a Riftstone Portal on turn two to smooth out your mana and disrupt their mana curve. If you got the right mana then Book Burning yourself on turn two for quick threshold, (or easy damage). They can only take so many Book Burnings and Browbeats before they have to start letting you get away with it, (Most people will just let you Book Burning anyway). Anyway, if you're lucky you'll get threshold on turn 2 or 3, and then drop the hunting grounds the turn after that, holding your hand of fatties. I included the Groundshakers because they can give themselves and your Brushhoppers trample, if you're needing it. Also, the Serraphs fly, if you need that sort of evasion. If you get out the hunting grounds early and they decide to just not play any spells then you can easily start dropping Brushhoppers and Djinns the old fashioned way to put pressure on them anyway. Also, Brushhoppers can help you get threshold if you need it, plus they can survive most removal.

Anyway, I know this is a different angle than what you were going for, but I thought I'd share my idea.

T

train

For some reason I just think Krosan Tuskers are a must...

Nice deck though!...

R

Rooser

Yeah, change out the 4 Krosan Groundshakers for 4 Krosan Tuskers, because they can help you move through your deck faster if you don't got the pieces yet, plus they're still 6/5 meatsticks when you drop them to hunting grounds.

T

train

I was actually glad to show a sealed tourney how both sides of the Tusker worked... Drawing or Beating???

That's when I was sold on theri ability... and if you run them with genesis - you draw 2 times a turn!!!>..

R

Rooser

Yeah, genesis would be a good idea too. The strength of Hunting Grounds is its uncounterability, and that can be said of Genesis too. If they have mass removal I can just build my hand back up and wait for them to play something......

And yes, the Tusker's dual function makes it one of the strongest commons in Onslaught, perhaps even the strongest. In fact, if it weren't for all the crazy crap green got in Odyssey block, I'd say the Tusker was one of the best green commons in a while. It's the best deck thinning since Yavimaya Elder, which was the best deck thinning since Land Tax, making the Tusker an easy #3 all time...but I guess this sentiment is going a little off topic, eh?

T

train

Probably not... in it's ability to thin the deck as efficiently possible right now - it allows the hunting grounds ot pull me into more spells/creatures... and that's always good...

The only more efficient creature cycler than genesis that I can think of is lifeline...;)

R

Rooser

On THAT note, I'd point out that Genesis has one big advantage over Lifeline and that's that it's function as a card in graveyard makes it much harder to deal with than any permanent. Plus Genesis can give you back the creatures that got countered, which is why the card can work over both black AND blue. Of course, on the spot creature regurgamitationism can't do better than Lifeline, but I just wanted to put in my two cents about Genesis since you brought it up.