Howling Mine/Oposition

T

Turtlewax Joe

This is a FRIGGN' good combo! Has enybody used this? 'Cause it rocks! If I came up with this idea first you heard it from me.. If not sorry for wasting your time.........
(honestly have no clue if this was previously thought of)

Thanx, T.J.

Z

Zadok001

Opposition + Static Orb is often considered satanic, as well...

I

Istanbul

How is Howling Mine / Opposition a combo? Mine gives them more permanents for you to try to tap, and even if you DO find enough creatures...

L

Lotus Mox

you can tap the mine before they draw to negate their extra cards :)

T

Turtlewax Joe

Here's the combo........

don't attack with 1 of your creatures
at the end of combat tap a creature to tap the mine
they don't draw a card because the mine is tapped
you untap and draw 2 cards instead of 1!

Has this been used before?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'd probably wait until their upkeep before tapping the Mine. That way you wait until the last possible moment to see what he might do.

T

Turtlewax Joe

good idea......can u tap the mine/creature opposition as an instant or fast effects?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Any ability on a permanent, unless otherwise stated, is an "instant" (or done at "instant" speed).

G

Gryphonclaw

Howling mines, ashnods transmogrant, transmogrifying licid, and KILL SWITCH!!

Finally a use for that card.

just untap the switch each turn, that allows your mine to untap, then on your opponents upkeep, throw the switch.

U

Ura

Weren't people doing the same "trick" for ages with things like Relic Barrier and Icy Manipulators?
Although they usually did it with Winter Orbs and they're evil kin I'm pretty sure mines got thrown in the mix too.

T

theorgg

Icy was the most popular for "Turning off" the items that turned off...

G

Gryphonclaw

Okay, now I gotta know, any artifacts that would work well when turned off and on, I just have to make a deck with kill switches.

Ones that I am already aware of: (Though I'm not sure that they'd all work with the new tapping artifacts leaves them on system, I know there was errata of some sort, but not sure what it covered.)

Winter Orb
Howling Mine
Transmogrifying Licid
Meekstone

Any others?

U

Ura

Gryphon: I think static orb does as well or whatever it was called. The evil Rath cycle super-orb thingy.

L

Lotus Mox

I think I had to say this already 2 times :( :
Kill Switch + Static Orb does NOT work, cause Static Orb wouldn't untap if you tap it with the Switch and thus would give your opponent a turn to untap all things, same with Winter Orb and Howling Mine.

of course Kill Switch + Ashnod's Transmogrant/Transmogrifying Licid is a cool combo, permanently tapping creatures :) .

Here's a (I hope complete) list of all artifacts which still get shut down when they are tapped:

Static Orb
Winter Orb
Howling Mine
Storage Matrix