How old are you guys?

U

uncle2frodo

I was wondering what the average age of CPA members is. Does anyone know how to find this out. I have been reading some posts, and I am starting to get the idea that I am one of the oldest members of the group at only 23. Also, I am beginning to doubt if I should continue calling myself a Magic player since very little that I read makes much sense to me. I don't know anything about most of the cards in the game, other than the few that I own. I don't even know much about them, unless I have the card in my hand. Is there anyone else out there who is on the same level as me? Simply a casual player of a game that is made up of little cardboard pieces with writing and pictures on them. I would love to correspond with someone similar to me. There are many other things in life besides Magic, that is all. I know, I know, this is a website for Magic players, but it would be nice for people such as myself to make posts in a way that we can understand them. Sorry if it sounds as though I am whining, but I guess that is what I am doing.

R

rkoelsch

I would hardly consider yourself the old man of the website. At the risk of being ostracize as ancient I am 47.
There are some tournament level players here but for the most part it appears to be for the casual player, the theme deck maker, the multiplayer participant. There are discussion on the storyline, and made up cards. What players would like to see in future expansions. There is even an off topic forum where most any subject is discussed.
What were you looking for? I find this is a good forum. I check out the casual decks, Rules questions and trading post. i stay out of the battle arena and off topic area. I have come here for Magic discussion. Well good luck.

G

Griffith_se

I don't really want to say how old I am, but I can say the the age range here is about 13 to 40+ with an average of about 16.
Most of the people here can look at Your decklist, and tell what Your level of play is, and give advice accordingly.
If You were to go to one of those other M:tG Web sites and post a Newbie deck You would be flamed, but not here.
If You want to learn how to build better decks (without getting flamed for Your effort) then your in the right place.
Besides, there are regulars here that hardly ever post in the deck area.
As far as not knowing the cards. A lot of the time I don't know what a card does, so thats why I have these two sites bookmarked. Mtgnews Library and Crystal Keep Card rulings

Hope this helps.

Have fun playing M:tG, its a game, its supposed to be fun.:D

M

Mikeymike

You make a tricky request. It really depends on what you want to get out of the CPA. Everyone of us was a newbie and/or unexperienced player at one point in time, and I would say that if you want help in becoming a better player, you won't find a better place than here. There are many cool people here who would answer any questions you have about the game, using better cards, or devising new play strategies.

In terms of off topic stuff, rkoelsch made a good point about the off-topic section. A lot of the subjects in there are pointless (no offense guys, especially since I've contributed to more than a few of those ;)) but there are many interesting little discussions hidden in there. Music tastes, favorite movies, political issues, so on so forth.

As pretty much everyone else was at some point, I used to be a player with the mind set "the bigger the creatures in the deck the better it is". Growing out of that stage has made me love the game for what it truly was meant to be, a battle of the minds. Granted, I don't have as much money as I could, but the more I learn about the game, the more I enjoy it.

If you do want to become a better player, the internet isn't the next step you want to take. You need to play in a group with better players than you are so you can learn by watching and experiencing. Go to your local gaming store and get familiar with the regulars, or better yet, ask the store owner if its OK if you make up a little flyer for a play group you'd like to start. Watch out for the tourney players though, they take the casual (and many times the fun) out of Magic.

Hope this helps

H

Hawaiian mage

I'm 14.

That's all I have to say.

Now I feel really small for not writeing a 2 page post.

T

theorgg

I'll allow you to speculate about my age--and I'd like to make an ajustment on the avarage "age" level-age meaning maturity.

Taken as that, the avarage age would be around twenty four due to most of the younger posters having more maturity than the avarage, like,yknow sixxxteen yr. oldz, like, mmkay, dudez?

This place is great for people who arn't serious. get icq and get in touch with me. I'll play formats that you wouldn't ever think of using, such as two portal 3 starters(all the cards) plus fifteen of each land.

F

Fire Slinger

Feel free to check out Magiccampus.com. They have alot of articles for newbies and intermediate players.

Killer Joe

theorgg: Who cares how old you are , because of your maturity level I could careless if you were 8. What you did with that interview tells me that you are highly intelligent and a real "Go-Getter". (btw: that really was an awesome interview). But hey, I'll take the bait, you are either 17 or 27. How's that?
Griffith_se: Your posts are always mature and well thought out, you're probably in your late 20's/early 30's.
Yellowjacket: singing-I am 16 going on 17....j/k (38 yrs. old)

A

Almindhra

I enjoy the CPA for the people...I don't write a lot on Magic ( ok, not at all, sorry guys ) because, ah, I can't explain it...Anyways...I love the Off Topic area...I just love message boards...

I'm 18 and entering college this fall...And Yellowjacket, you be old, yo

M

Mundungu

It is the only site that speaks as much about cards than about magic itself ..

If you like Magic .. welcome ... if you want to know more I am sure you will learn plenty here..

make good use of the deck forum & rules-regulation forum
and if that's too fancy, welcome on the off topic .

A

Apollo

I'm 15, though I'd like to think I don't sound that way (except in the Battle Arena).

Orgg, I'd guess upper teens, early twenties. Hmmm. 18?

Griffith, well, I have no clue. 25?

Anyway, if you're confused about the cards, check the links above. If you're confused about anything else, just ask. We'd be glad to help you out.

C

Cateran Overlord

And I try not to sound immature, though I can't tell if I come off as such.

E

ErinPuff

I'm 14, though I've heard that I act older, at least online. It's probably my proper use of capitals and punctuation, not to mention the extra effort I go to to type those two extra letters in "you".

I

Istanbul

Depending on what you mean by 'old', I'm either 7, 13, 24, 65, or dead. :)

M

manchot_13

i'm 16, although i won't claim to be overtly mature, for maturity truely is realizing that you don't have to be mature all the time...

G

garfobo

Im 14, WOW there are some old people on this site, id like to know how old Ed is!