How much have you paid for a card?

B

bgbowerman

Everybody:

What is the most cash (including s&h) that you have paid for a single card?

This question came up after I read Jon Wingate's article, 'Why ebay prices and Card Values don't Match'. You can read it at http://www.starcityccg.com/news/Magic/000808wingate.html

In the article, he says to use ebay for inexpensive cards, but for more valuable cards, he says to trade, without regard to ebay prices. I was just curious as to everyone elses' limit for 'inexpensive' cards, compared to mine.

My personal limit is $1.00 per card. Yes, that means I don't have the P9. The only Masticore I have I pulled from a pack. No, it's not available for trade :)

I have also posted this on MOTL; I'll let you know if any differences are apparent.

Thanx for reading,
Ben g. Bowerman

N

nodnarb24

Tag guard

The most i have spent on a single card is $15 for a hammer of boggarden in a card store. Now i buy my cards on ebay and i won't pay more than $3.00 on a single card.

H

Hetemti

$5 for a Sol Ring, but I'm just now getting into the singles market.
Until now I was buying boosters just for card pool and trade fodder, but after buying $60 worth and getting $15 worth of rares and the most vile, useless commons and uncommons to come down the pike, I decided singles and boxes of good sets are the way to go.

BTW. Anyone want a bunch of assorted commons? I've a bunch of 4th ed...

M

Multani

I usually don't spend more than $6 on 1 card.
I perfer to trade.

F

Fire Slinger

The most I have ever paid for one card is $26. It was a Foil Deranged Hermit. Now my limit is $10, but depending on the rarity of the card in my area, I might go up to $20.

I

Istanbul

About four or five years ago, I set a limit for myself, hard-and-fast. I noticed that moxes and the Lotus were starting to go for a lot, and realized that I had a chance of becoming one of those guys that blows a hundred bucks on a piece of cardboard.

"Self," I told myself, "No more than $10 on one card. Ever."

No, I don't have Power 9. What I DO have is very close to one copy of every Magic card ever printed. (1/20th of an Alpha set, 1/3 of a Beta set, 1/2 of an Unlimited set, 1/2 of an Arabian Nights set, and one card away from a Legends set...and I have every other set.)

I will NOT become a money player, for that way lies damnation.

A

arhar

When I just started to play Magic, I spent $20 on Island of Wak Wak!!!!! Such an awesome card. But to this day I don't regret it, cause I traded it for Berserk and Drop of Honey.

A

Almindhra

At Origins, my friend bought a foiled Masticore for $40...My boyfriend took advantage of the situation and traded him a bunch of white ( *cough, hack, cough*; uh, shitty ) cards...

I don't buy the cards...Sometimes I give money to my bf and he buys them...Our Magic cards are like a collective pool...lol...Hes so kind...Anyways...The most he has spent on a card was $60 for a beta forcefield ( normally $130 )...I think he bought it from Troll and Toad...

M

Mr_Pestilence

$250 for an absolutely perfect Unlimited Black Lotus - money very well spent!

Seriously, I play it (in a sleeve, of course) in a casual Type I deck, and whenever it hits the table, I get oohs, aahs, and "is that real?!?".

It's not a game-breaking card, and really only useful if its in your opening hand, but it does allow you to have some awesome first turns.

H

Hellion

Hmmmm....if i can remember correctly.....

I spent $8 for a Mirage Hammer of Bogardan, $9 for a Visions Vampirc Tutor and $28 for 2 Covetous Dragons and 2 Two-Headed Dragons......

Money well spent I guess.....

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
That would be a burnt Mox Jet for $95. At the time, good ones were going for $130 - $140, so I figured I got a good deal. I also once traded for a Mox Ruby, and I acquired my NM Mox Pearl for $77 and a whole lot of trade bait.

This, of course, was going on several years ago, when I'd hoped Type 2 play would slowly fade away, and Type 1 would become popular once more.:(

They're still cool to own though, and I occasionally run into someone who'll play T1 with me. That's usually pretty fun.:D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The most I've spent (I think) is $20 for a Library of Alexandria back in '94 or '95, but I can't remember the shipping. I was trying to figure out what was in Zak Dolan's championship deck and build it.

R

rkoelsch

But at the time I thought that was way too much to pay for a piece of cardboard it was 1995. I don't really regret not buying it as I never was very serious collector. The most I paid is $9 cash for a Fork and $12 store credit for a Kjeldoran Outpost.

D

Django

400 swedish kronor on a Beta Berserk. That's 35 dollars I think.

T

The Undertaker

One time, after selling some stock (not for this reason), I purchased the following:

$185 Beta Time Walk
$75 Unlimited Timetwister
$100 Unlimited Black Lotus (poor condition)

That is the most I spent at one time....a close second when I bought Mox Jet, Emerald, Pearl for $300.

I kick myself now because I remember when I was first starting, right before Dark, I could have got all those cards for less then $15 a piece. If I knew then what I know now.

T

theorgg

$8 for a Zuran Orb.

When there's no IA packs to be seen, and you just started paying attention the december of homelands...

well, lets say that he discounted it $4.

I've still got it, too!

M

Mundungu

60 $ for an off placed (I mean it wasnt in any magic categories or had nowhere the name magic, even in the decription - just mox pearl) Mox pearl on Ebay last year, VG condition and around 80 for a NM Mox Jet (same situation).

I am happy they were not mint mint, as I love playing with them ...

I

Inyatha

$3.29 for a Lin-Sivvi, Defiant Hero. As I recall, it also came with 3 other uncommons and 11 commons. ^_^

K

K1

$30 for a nether void.

I like to buy collections though, not singles.