How many decks do you guys have?

Q

Quill

I've been wondering how many decks the average Magic player keeps around. I have 3 "semi competitive" decks and a couple of decks that I know are really bad and still need work. I have about 4 partial decks that I still need cards to complete (mostly theme) I figure you guys that have been around for so long must have bunches..or do you just play and take decks apart often?

Quill

M

Mr_Pestilence

I usually keep one Type I deck, a couple of "competitive" Type II decks, and a whole lot of fun/theme/experimental decks. And at least 1 Pestilence deck.

On the whole, I have 10-12 decks, which is how many fit easily into my bag, along with dice, counters, etc.

C

Child of Gaea

I for one have 16 decks with only 3 of them being really good... The other 13 are all for complete casual play and usually get scrapped every couple months or so when I get new ideas for those cards...

Child

Killer Joe

Not counting all the pre-constructed decks I own (25), I keep a very hot and heavy T2 deck on hand (lately it's been my Con-Troll, yeah, I know it sucks but it works for me), at least one very tuned multi-player (G/R)and a couple of experimental decks like my TradeRouteGeddon Deck and my theraputic Necro-weenie (I don't play Black alot)with Parallax Dementia as its hero. I also have 5 mono-colored decks (one of each color) on standby just in case I come across someone who's new to M:TG and needs a deck to start with.
So, that's 4 regular decks I keep around and 30 some odd others in the waiting. Oh yeah, I have all 5 of the Portal II Second Age Pre-cons too.

M

Mordecai

I've got one deck I really focus on tuning. I've got another deck that I try tuning, my multiplayer Elf-Thunder deck. I've got a few fun black decks (Suicide Black, Pestilence Black, and Discard Black). I've got a few other interesting decks that sit on the back burner (White Wildfire, R/G Ultimate LD, White Weenie, Sucky Red, Sucky Blue). I've got a deck I'm building for my brother. That's 11 decks I think.

A

arhar

Let's see.. I have my T2 Rebels deck which been kicking some ass lately, T2 Bargain deck (not the Bargain everyone's playing, the totally original deck that I designed myself (as well as all my other decks too - I guess if a person doesn't design his or her decks, that person can't be called casual)), my multiplayer decks - 120 cards Green (hehe), Blue, White Angels, my T1 Stupid BURRRRRN (40 Burn cards and 20 lands, oops, 32 Burn cards - 4 Ball Lightings and 4 Mogg Fanatics... yeah, 40 Burn cards that is ;)) Black Dance-of-the-Dead Collosus of Sardia-Infernal Spawn of Evil deck... right now, that's it. I guess, 7 decks.

Z

Zadok001

I carry anywhere from 3 to 5, plus whatever other decks I have under construction at home (6 right now... Construction takes more time and effort than actually having the deck, I'll build a deck for weeks and play it for three days before deconstruction.) Right now, I have my Clear the Land/Prosperity combo deck, a 5cG thing, a red Light 'em up Like a Torch deck for duels, a Stampy varient, and a Fish deck that kicks butt.

I have different decks on me depending on a variety of factors, my mood, the current metagame people are playing, etc... If I'm mad, I play Wildfire and get ganged up on after the first game. And when I realize that the Freshmen at my school have never seen the Greater Good/Alter of Dementia combo at work, I bring that in and get it 'informally banned,' in the words of Duel because it wins too much. If I'm really tired, I'll play beatdown and not think, if I got plenty of sleep (yeah, right, when was the last time THAT happened?), I'll play D5C and make each game take more than two hours. Etc, etc, etc.

Btw, I'm obsessed with 5 color lands and basic set painlands. If anyone has any for trade... :)

"What do you mean, 'informally banned?'"

E

enderfall

Well i don't play type II and i have 7 decks. I have 3 good decks that i work on and trade for, blue/white control, black weenie, and a white/green power deck. Then the other decks are just fun decks full of commons and uncommons like my poison counter deck( my favorite).

If i could make more competitive decks without depleting my trading pool, believe me i would. One can never have too many decks!

D

Dune Echo

I've got a few here and there in the wings. Right now, I have an 11 Land Green deck, my Mono-Brown deck, several preconstructed decks, a few of the Championship decks, and 2 or 3 all-commons decks. Not many as some others, but there still all fun for me whenever I finally get to play.

D

Duel

Time for me to show my obsessive side. I have about 15 decks at any one time. About eight of them are playable (the others have all the land taken out so I can use it in other decks) and about five are decent. BTW I play with my partial decks, it tells me whether or not the additions are necceary, or if they should be replacements instead. Sure, it means I have a worse average than a first-turn telepathy in a seven player game, but it's so much fun to bring out seven decks, face down, and let my opponent choose one at random, so neither of us have any idea which deck I'm playing.

T

theorgg

well, My deckbox holds about thirty decks.

and there's the out of date decks.
and the "dead" decks(erratta)
and "tournament winners"
and "good sealeds"
and P.R. decks that were good.
and and and one day at band camp... :)

I'd say about fifty or sixty. if not more that I've lost...

some can be found at http://www.brainburst.com/freesite/orggscave/decks.html

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I have 2 type 1's, 2 1.5's, 3 Extended decks, 3 T2's, and at least a dozen others in various states of disrepair.

Oh, and I agree with arhar. Casual players may occasionally play decks similar to the ones designed by others, but as a group I think we prefer to play our own designs. It's all a part of it, right?

TomB
CPA Member

A

Apollo

I personally have about 10 decks and another 10-15 that are in pretty bad shape because I yanked 20 cards out when a cool deck idea spontaneoously gained control of me. Decks are usually destroyed after about 2 weeks because I get bored with them, unless it's some weird combo deck whose cards I'll never want to use anywhere else.

Apollo
In desperate need of a tagline

G

galtwish

I try to keep 2 T2 decks, very competative, on hand. I used to have 1.5 decks, but I didn't have any duallands, and with the "new" format, I didn't want to get those or Thawing Glaciers. I keep at least half a dozen casual decks on hand; usually 1 really good one to compete against other good decks, 2-3 duel worthy but generally 3-5 player game decks, and a couple pretty weak decks that are just fun to play, and decent loaner decks for team games. I find it best to have varying levels of deck strength so you can always play an appropriate deck against anyone, from 10 year old Timmy to your local pros.

G

Gryphonclaw

Depends on what you qualify as a deck.

I usually have about 8 or 9 'active' decks, that is decks that I can shuffle and play.

I often have about 2 or 3 decks sitting around with no land in them, and about the same number with land but a bunch of vital cards removed.

In addition to this I have collections of cards, with no land or vital spells, but I keep the necessary cards for a number of creature themes and related cards, such as minotaurs and dijerido [I think you mean Didgeridoo --Dune Echo], (is that spelled right?) goblins with the kings and warrens, and so forth.

The number of decks a player has is usually dependent on 2 things, carrying capacity and collection capacity.

[Edited by Dune Echo (03-17-2000 at 03:38 PM).]

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Wow, there's a glitch. :)

Dune edited Gryphonclaw's message and Gryphonclaw's name was orange, had 434 posts, and was a CPA founder. hmm.. I'll have to fix that. :D

-mike

G

Gryphonclaw

Wooohooo!! :D
Now that I am a founder what are my priveledges?
Can I delete users and topics and abuse my power?

----JOKE----

T

theorgg

HEY, DUNE, EDIT ME! EDIT MEHE!!!

CRANUM MIHI TRADIT UNLESS YOU EDIT ME!

:)

[He ya' go, Orgg. :) Not quite as many as Dune can get you, post-wise, though... --Zadok001]

[Edited by Zadok001 (03-17-2000 at 09:09 PM).]

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
<font size="2" color="#FF6000">* Zadok001 is about to change Orgg and Gryphonclaw's status to 'CPA Underling'</font>

[I wonder if I can reduce the number of posts Ed has... :) --Zadok001]

-mike

[Edited by Zadok001 (03-18-2000 at 12:30 PM).]