How about a new Tag...

B

BigBlue

Card - If you put a Magic cardname in the tag, it'd take you to crystalkeep's page for the card... or some other place where you could get the 411 on a card quickly...

J

Jigglypuff

Over at mtgnews.com, they have a tag that shows you a card window complete with picture, rules text, Oracle text, and SideBoard ads :)rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) from magicthegathering.com. If you enclose the card name with the tag [card][/card], it'll create the link in the message.

(- Steve -)

N

Nightstalkers

no customizable little pictures of ourselves!

Burn down the news.com for that develish design

B

BigBlue

For ease.... I have discovered one quick and dirty way to do it...

I have a formula set up in excel which takes card foo and puts it into the following formula:

="" & foo & ""

I take the end result an paste it into my post.

so, a card tag could do the same.... just taking the name of the card and putting it in place of foo.

One caveat, pronunciation marks and foreign chars don't always get translated 100% correctly.

N

Nightstalkers

Sounds like a good idea... as long as you don't post our pictures everywhere.

O

orgg

[card] [/card] function?

Ed, Mise Tings.com's forums have a special little tag that will open one of magicthegathering.com's card boxes in a window to view.

How difficult would it be to get that function for the CPA?

N

Nightstalkers

Hey Ed, when you figure it out, show some love over here as well as some knowledge.

It could prove interesting for me to learn :rolleyes:

T

train

NS - do you need some love shown your way?...

"Okay Jailhouse Bubba - he's all yours!...":p

M

Mikeymike

Don't mind me, just bumping an old idea.

I'm not sure how to do it with the MTG Preview Generator, because the link names are all constructed with a SETNAME + CARDNAME query. I'm sure it could be done, it'd just be a lot bigger pain in the butt.

That said, if you were to use the simple JPEG addresses it would probably be a lot easier to pull off.

Let's say you set a [CARD] tag, it can pull from this link:

http://www.wizards.com/global/images/magic/general/CARDNAME.jpg

It appears that spaces, hyphens, and special characters would need to be replaced with underscores for the name to work properly, but that "general" directory does appear to contain every card ever printed.

Maybe you click on the CARD tag and it brings up a prompt box similar to the URL tag? But instead of having a link & name box it just consists of a name box.

I have no idea whether or not this would be legal without WotC's consent.

N

Nightstalkers

Why not just do like Magic Traders does? They have a card link that'll take you to the gatherer lookup of the card with a second field with the lookup of the current value according to their pricelist.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure how a card tag would be implemented here, but I think it's probably part of the vBB code, much like using bold or italics or quotes. This site is using an older version of vBB but it's not my call to upgrade and I don't know if the latest version DOES have card tags.

I just don't know enough about it, but I can say Ed is probably the only one who can do something about it. :)