Here's your new world for ya...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it will have much of an impact, unless a later block tries to tie in the Mirrodin world with the rest. I think this is more "localized" for a block, like Homelands was.

T

train

That's where I get confused... New world - or same place - just different people and scenery... Like spidey said - if they tie it in somehow it may get really weird...

"kind of like going to Portugal..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's a new world, like Rath was to Dominaria (all those examples they give in the article) as opposed to the same "world" but different place, like Ice Age or Fallen Empires was set.

T

train

So it's a Magic Universe and not just world...

They've expanded on the original idea of a world with many continents...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think they did that a while back with Homelands; it was a different world that was blocked from Dominaria via a "shield"...

N

Notepad

So what...its another world. OOOOOH! :eek:

We've seen all sorts of other worlds before. This one has all the same stuff (five colors)...but things are just...METAL now. WOW!!! :eek:

Sucks!!!!!!!!

*rant reminder*

T

train

Well... to add to your rant reminder...

this other world is apparently what conjured up these new card abilities...

just a point for you...

Oh - and throw in a kick about why they have made a card that bans islands.:D

N

Notepad

They always make new mechanics. There is always an excuse for them. These mechanics are not unique to the world to Mirrodin. With enough PRing, or a little bit of story team work, these all could be fit in as the perfect thing for Rath, or Homelands, or whathaveyou. There is nothing "new and exciting" about this block except that its metal.

Shucks...now I spent a bit of my rant.

Thanks for helping me flesh out an idea though, train. May my article come soon.

T

train

These mechanics are not unique to the world to Mirrodin.
here's where i have a good example... and I'll define something first - a Mechanics - in my definition - include new abilities of permanents or abilities of cards... flashback is not an ability of a permanent, but is of a card. Threshold is an ability on a permanent and spell. Ones on spells only would be buyback or kicker...

I consider these all mechanics...

So in an instance where something was dependent on a "world" -there is flanking... Mirage block was the only one to use it so far, and it will probably stay that way...

So that is an instance where I see it as being dependent on the "world", in Mirage's case a continent.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Technically, all mechanics/abilities can be on one world, Dominaria. You just hokey around with the storyline a bit. But the premise of the multiverse has pretty much been there since day three, if not one, so I have no problem with them thinking up another "world" to introduce new mechanics/abilities. It's just part of the story of Magic.

T

train

But the premise of the multiverse has pretty much been there since day three, if not one,
Just wondering... Do you remember a reference to another world in Alpha/Beta/Unlimited?... Or would you be basing it on the fact that Garfield pictured expansions as stand-alones?...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Probably a combination of both, but more because Ice Age was envisioned to replace M:TG (as it was viewed as just the name of the first set of cards, not the all-encompassing card game we know today).

If not then, then definitely by Homelands, which was only in 95, roughly 1 year and a half away from the start of Magic.

However, there was a comic in an early Duelist that showed a planeswalker arriving on a new world, so presumably the concept of planeswalking and other worlds already existed (this was like issue 2-5, probably around 2-3 really).

N

Nightstalkers

The idea of planeswalking was set up when they formed the universe and the overall explanation for M:TG.

The only thing thats changed from the original storyline is the new crap since Odyssey. Oooh! We're planeswalking again!

M

mythosx

OK so with all the ranting going on. Whats the bottom line?

you want a new story arc? or continue the old one? I thought this last arc was a new world. or was it just a continent? You want to follow urzas adventures or you want other planes walkers showcased? what the general consensus? whats wrong with developing a new world?

N

Notepad

The multiverse was always in place, since the very beginning. Early game descriptions said the game was a duel between two wizards, with the losing wizard having to leave to another universe as he/she has been kicked out by the winning wizard.

I agree with Spidey's statements that mechanics can fit anywhere, which is why I think this whole "Mirrodin brings in super new tech!!!" PR on WotC's behalf is lame.

Excellent to beef up the idea, but they messed up by presenting it as something totally new.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it doesn't much matter to me in regards to the storyline - it could be a new world or on Dominaria, I just play with the cards.

T

train

Well, it doesn't much matter to me in regards to the storyline - it could be a new world or on Dominaria, I just play with the cards
Darn tootin - that's about how i feel on foils - and Why I trade them like they were commons...:D

Though I do think the storyline is important, it is a "game"...

M

mythosx

This is a bit off topic. but I do agree with you. Any one who plays an all foil deck should should get a life.

T

train

Any one who plays an all foil deck should should get a life.
I give them enough respect to note that they are insane - but that's about it!...;)

And they do draw a fair price when sold or traded correctly...