Help with a Contest

N

Notepad

There's a dream card contest at the local store (or most local, since its about 50 miles away). One entry per person. From what I hear, people are making real stupid things. I wanted to make something real fun, so I looked up my Dream Card Set archives. I saw a lot of fun stuff, but I settled on touching up my version of Greater Werewolf from the Homelands Redux series.

So, what I've done is here:

Ravenous Werewolf
4B
Creature--Wolf Minion
At end of combat, gain control of all creatures that were dealt combat damage by Ravenous Werewolf. Any creature you gain control of in this way becomes a copy of Ravenous Werewolf. (These effects do not end at at end of turn.)
If you see one, there are probably a dozen more hiding somewhere near.
2/4

The card has to use the most recent rules templating, which I think I have here. Any comments, suggestions, rules clarifications I need to know? Basically, it combines the rules templates of The Wretched with Clone. Any suggestions for the flavor text? Any comments or suggested changes concerning the name?

As for the card itself, I rather like the card. It goes great with new equipment, both the Lure one and stuff like Bonesplitter (oh, so the wolfie dies, I still get your critters and can equip it).

One thing I'm wondering about is if it should say "This effect doesn't end..." or if I should leave it as I have it, "These effects do not end..." I also wonder if there needs to be reminder text on you getting the creatures even though the werewolf itself dies.

N

Notepad

I copied the basilisj template for wording, which altered how it looks. But, here is the finished image I submitted (yes, that is my artwork there)

(actually, this is a reduced size file-about 70%, so its a little clunky on the text appearance)

Attachments

N

Notepad

Is what a shell? The artwork is of a backlit werewolf. The expansion symbol is a wolf claw, but the resolution on this image is bad.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Okay, for some reason the expansion symbol looks like a seashell. I'm guessing it's just the resolution and all that...

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Originally posted by SeFRo
I copied the basilisj template for wording, which altered how it looks. But, here is the finished image I submitted (yes, that is my artwork there)

(actually, this is a reduced size file-about 70%, so its a little clunky on the text appearance)
That card's function is incredible! It's as good at the Wretched, maybe a bit better.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's more durable in combat than The Wretched, since it can die blocking something and then make that creature into a copy of itself and all that...

Pretty cool, I think...

N

Notepad

I wish like hell this thing were in print. :D

It is definitely much more durable in that it can die and still take things over. The principle disadvantage, though, is you never get a copy of Visara or Verdant Force, but just another silly 2/4 wolf that an opponent will probably let through rather than block.

Though, with a Taunting Mask (right name?) and a Bonesplitter, you can take over quite a bit of stuff over and over, since the wolf will die and you'd just re-equip the new recruits. :D

N

Notepad

Collection Connection
Prundale, CA

A hole in the wall type place, but they have friggen awesome prices! :D The owner refuses to sell packs at more than $3 each, even non-Magic games. Only place I can get my Vs. cards for a decent price. :D :D :D

N

Notepad

MD5 block packs are the only ones she has. But hey, paying three bucks for a pack is sure as hell nice. :D

Its nice to have a shop that still has values, even if the shop owner is a pathelogical liar!

True story--she actually claims she's been playing Magic for 20 years. When asked how that's possible on an 11-year-old game, she says she playtested it a decade before it came out. She even says she got certified by WotC, pointing to some typed-up piece of paper that may as well be a restraining order.

She also cuts down each and every customer once they leave the store. "Oh that guy is stupider than a..." you might hear if you're around when another guy leaves.

Yet, three bucks a pack is nice.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, when I used to buy boosters they only costed $2.15...

But yeah, I suppose they do cost more than $3.00 normally now...

D

Doombringer

Usually $5.00 where I am, and thats without taxes, although this one shop owner must have done some serious calculation, because when you add taxes to his booster prices, the amount is exactly $5.

I think that card is broken, with lure, you could take out their Darksteel collussus and still have your wolf to do it again. or give it lotsa power and lure all their creatures into becoming your private dog show. Is the contest simply to make a cool card, or to make it remotely playable too?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Kjeldoran Frostbeast/Basalt Golem and some others, such as Rampage creatures have been used with Lure in the past, but it was never quite "broken." This pushes the limits further, true, but I think it's still safe...

I

Istanbul

You can not kill this creature in combat.

Or rather, you can, but you just give your opponent more ammo.

I would call this card just the wrong side of broken as it is.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
First strike, protection from black, any creature with power of four or greater and toughness of two or less, Altar of Dementia or similar effects...

And if you attack with it, they'll just let it through and hit you back harder...

It's a blocker, basically. It's still subject to creature removal (or direct damage spells for that matter) in all forms save Dark Banishing type stuff.

It combos well with Lure or similar cards, but Illusions of Grandeur combos well with Donate. I would consider that more broken than this creature...

It's good, certainly, but broken might be going too far...

N

Notepad

Giant Cockroach, Dross Crocodile, Lizard/Viashino Warrior...

So many crappy answers to this thing that give nothing back to the opponent.

Flametongue Kavu...

And one really nice answer to two of these things. :D