Help the CPA design the ULTIMATE Casual Card!

C

Cateran Emperor

Despite Gizmo's protests (see topic in General Forum), I say we design the card anyway just in case one of us does ever win! So let's get started!

Part 1: Color(s)
Part 2: Card Type
Part 3: General Ideas.

I say we vote on the first two parts now. I'd vote for a Green/Red/Black creature or enchantment.

Now remember, we're trying for hte Ultimate Casual Card, not the Ultimately powerful tourney card and whatnot. Multiplayer and player interaction are key here, so try and keep those in mind.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly DOES the "ultimate casual card" have? What are its goals? To be multiplayer? To affect all players? I think it needs a little more direction... ;)

N

nodnarb24

I say it should be an artifact so you can put it into any deck.

N

Nyx

I like the idea of it going into any deck. An interesting variant of the Alloy Golem could give a starting point. The alloy golem lets you chose its color as it resolves, what if we make it a 5 cc spell with the color(s) of all mana spent when casting it. Thus colorless leaves it colorless, all else makes in mono or dual colored. Color is resolved at the time of declaring it, thus spells like Elemental Blast and so forth are able to react to it.

T

Taysir

Will of the Masters
R
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses a creature he or she controls. Each player may bid life for control of that creature. The player whose turn it is begins the bidding at 0. In turn order, each player may top the high bid. Bidding ends if the high bid stands. The highest bidder may destroy the chosen creature. Repeat this process for each creature controlled by the player whose turn it is. The player whose turn it is draws a card for each creature he or she controls destroyed this way.
"Everything is negotiable."

Like it? Then root for Ben Rubin in the Invitational this year; this is his card.

L

Landkiller

It should be a good Multiplayer card.

I think Multiplayer is the most casual format.

C

Cateran Emperor

Like I said Spidey, that's what we're gonna decide.

I'm reconsidering my idea, I think I'd like another 5 color card. Sliver Queen is one of the coolest casulat cards, mainly because of all the theme decks built around her. Coalition victory is obviously a casual card, so let's try to upstage Wizards with an even better one. Who's up for a gold Enchantment with an insane set of abilities?

L

Landkiller

OMG!!!

The most casual ability any card can ever ever have

X : Does something. Any player may do this.

That is the bomb ability. Interactivity is fun.
So, do we want a gold enchantment with five different abilities

R : Does something.
W : etc.
etc. for all colors.
Any player may play any ability of ~this~

That's what I'm thinking.

D

Deadman

Landkiller, I like you're idea a lot.
But I'd prefer it to be an artifact that has all that.
That way it can be played in any deck, just like Nodnarb said.
BTW: Nodnarb, would you're name happened to be derived from Brandon, Nevinyrral's disk style?

N

nodnarb24

Deadman: yes it is.

Here's my idea:
The Ultimate Casual Card(name under development) 5
Artifact

1WW: Prevent 2 damage to any creature or player. Any player may use this ability.
1UU: Return target permanent to it's owners had. Any player may use this ability.
1RR: Deal 2 damge to any creature or player. Any player may use this ability.
1GG: Target crature gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Any player may use this ability.
1BB: Destroy target non-black, non-artifact creature. Any player may use this ability.

C

Cateran Emperor

I'd still rather it be a 5 color enchantment. Atrifacts tend to be too easy to get into play. The abilities are right on target though IMHO.

D

DÛke

...if it is an enchantment; I think it should have "...any player may play this ability". It's for "interaction", see?

M

MrXarvox

Here's my take on the subject:

Jack-of-all-trades 5
Summon Mercenary
Jack-of-all-trades is the color or colors of all mana used to cast it.
Jack-of-all-trades cannot be the target of its own abilities.
Any player may play any of the following abilities:
R: deal 1 damage to any target.
G: target creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
W: prevent 1 damage to any target.
U: target creature gains flying until end of turn.
B: deal 1 damage to target creature and the player of this ability gains 1 life.
0/5
"I've got the connections. I can do anything, for the right price."

L

Landkiller

Orb of Dominiaria, as a title for the artifact version.

Although, I think the black ability is too strong in comparison to the others....hmmm...that means power up the others!!

As for the Jack of All trades, I like it, but it shouldn't be a Mercenary. That makes it lean toward black, the card should be color-friendly for everyone.

For a creature type -- Wanderer

H

Hawaiian mage

I like Nodnarbs card best so far.

Add a Chaos Orb ability and you've got your winner. :)

Really, have it be like "10:Toss this card into the air. If it flips over at least once, destroy all permenants it touches. Any player may play this ability."

With that, you can try that in reponse to someone trying to destroy something of yours. Where at the same time your makeing everyone turn against you for destorying it. And destroying other stuff top just fan the flames.

Instead of "Orb of Dominaria", it should be "Dominarian Orb." I think it sounds better. :)

H

Hawaiian mage

I just thought of something else.

The black part should be "Target Creature get's -2/-2 untill end of turn" instead of destroy target creature. And the blue one should return a permenant "unless the defending player pays 3"

Just some ideas for extra interactivity. :)

N

nodnarb24

I did think that the black part was too powerful, I like H-mage's idea of the -2/-2 thing. I like the name "Dominarian Orb," for an artifact, but if we change it to an enchantment I would like it to be "Prismatic convergence" since it mixes all colors together.

H

Hawaiian mage

It should be an Artifact. The way it is now, it could almost be a 0 casting cost card. But 5 works well.

Z

Zadok001

My take on interaction is a bit different, I'm afraid... I've also powered up the card a bit, to make it possibly playable in Type 2:

Orb of Dominaria
Legendary Artifact
Orb of Dominaria cannot be the target of spells.
UU: Counter target activated ability unless a player pays 2.
BB: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature unless a player pays 2.
RR: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player unless a player pays 2.
GG: Target creature gets +2/+2 unless a player pays 2.
WW: Target permanent gets Protection from a color of your choice or artifacts until end of turn unless a player pays 2.
Any player may use Orb of Dominaria's abilities.

The blue one seems obvious to me. Allowing it to bounce things makes it a bit too controlling, and I'm trying to limit the control aspects of my version. The Black may be underpowered, I would consider changing it to a 2 point life drain or something... I like the 'Rhystic' esque effect on each ability. I think that adds something, as it allows players to make the choice between using the Orb or countering the next player's use of it. It also gives the card a 'controlled' feel, allowing it to have effects that seem slightly too good, yet remain balanced.

I think the White ability is the most interesting. :) It's a quasi-counter for the other abilites, and may be overpowered... Not sure.

Anyways, continue on your merry ways, I'll go away now...