Help me Build A CPA Green deck

A

Academy Man

After seeing the Bost deck Come to life, I decided the CPA should try to help me build a Green deck because I recently got 24 Apac Forests and I want to use them in a mono green deck, I figure it could use living wish as a tool box type card and Rofellos to accelerate into good stuff. I want it to have a bit of a old "Fires" feel to it using saproling burst and blastoderm. All ideas are encouraged and welcome, thanks.

R

Reverend Love

What colors are you looking to add?

Combo or just super synergy?

M

Mikeymike

Are you hoping to go heavy green, artifact green, or green splash?

Keep in mind, if you use forest-based dual lands you can A) still get Rofellos advancement and B) use 'Forest fetchers' like Wood Elves, Skyshroud Claim, and Nature's Lore.

If you want to use a Toolbox style build, I'd definitely recommend at least one splash color.

This ought to be fun, I'm looking forward to this.

R

Rooser

Here's my mono-green stompy. Extended legal, and extremely good. This might not be what you are quite looking for, but I think it's a good starting point. This is one of the best mono-green aggro decks one can build, IMO:

Land -
16 Forest
4 Tranquil Thicket

One Spots -
4 Llanowar Elves
3 Rancor

Two Spots -
4 Wall of Blossoms
4 River Boa

Three Spots -
4 Yavimaya Elder
4 Call of the Herd
4 Krosan Tusker

Four Spots -
4 Ravenous Baloth
4 Phantom Centaur

Five Spots -
3 Beast Attack
2 Centaur Glade

This build is extremely efficient - You keep a full hand as you beat down. The threats are many, but serious enough that you don't have to overdeploy in order to win quickly. Obviously if I was really serious about this deck it would have a sideboard to answer fliers and artifacts and stuff. As you want to incorporate Living Wish, I think you will be prepared to deal with these weaknesses anyway.

Still this is a good frame to work around.

Cards in this decklist that you probably want to consider carefully are:

Wall of Blossoms - For a utility based green deck, these are invaluable. They don't cost you a card and they can block most early stompy.

Yavimaya Elder - Make sure you got the timing issues worked out. This is flat out one of the best utility creatures ever printed. 3:1 card advantage and can often take a small creature down with him.

Krosan Tusker - This actually gives Yavimaya Elder a run for its money. The cycling part is essentially a draw two, but in green, and for only 3 mana. Blue often doesn't have it that good. Further, don't write off the idea of hard-casting these guys. Sure a 6/5 for 7 isn't worth playing in itself, but the fact that your draw two can optionally become a fatty, and at a reasonable price, is exceptional. Don't underestimate this guy's late-game potential as a win condition.

Beast Attack - Oh my god is this an excellent card in mono-green. Instant-sped castability is one of the most underrated creature abilities in the game. Cast this at the end of your opponents turn and watch 'em squirm. Either it's a 4/4 attacker they weren't ready to deal with that round, or it's one of the best counter-fodder cards in the game because it taps out their resources on their turn - and can just be recast on your next turn anyway. Even in non-control match-ups, this card provides a solid, solid offensive threat. The tempo swing that instant speed creatures can provide is amazing, either as surprise blockers, or surprise attackers after, say, a WOG. The only thing that has kept Beast Attack away from the tourney scene is the three green in its cost - but that don't bother your deck one bit, now does it?

Call of the Herd - In mono-green, Beast Attack is the better card, but Call is more aggressively costed and still provides 2 creatures for one card.

Centaur Glade - It's a bit much to try to rely on this card heavily, but in some match-ups, and especially in multiplayer, the ability to spend no cards in order to make a creature is a beautiful thing.

Anyway, that's my 5 cents so far.

T

train

I'd modify rooser's deck in one wya -

Hurricanes - Base Deck...

It's great for Direct damage, and you'll have the mana anyway...

Maybe even storm seeker for that surprise effect...

as for the fires build...

The saproling burst would be a great effect - my advice to start for fast mana - Elvish spirit guides, and sol ring...

N

NorrYtt

Krosan Tusker has nothin' on Yavimaya Elder in a single or double color deck.

Monogreen is kinda my area of expertise.

You could make a 'Forest-happy' deck like Rofellos implies. My Green Control deck is something like:

20 Forest
4 Rishadan Port

4 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
4 Yavimaya Elder
4 Uktabie Wildcats
2 Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

4 Skyshroud Claim
2 Creeping Mold
4 Plow Under
3 Stunted Growth

4 Powder Keg
2 Temporal Aperture
2 Smokestack
1 Centaur Glade

A second turn Rofellos that lives makes the deck about 3 times more powerful than usual. The massive disruption simply comes out too fast.

Uktabie Wildcats are ginormous and Kamahl makes them trample. Kamahl also kills your opponent with your apac Forests. Kamahl also blows up your opponent's lands with Powder Keg. Keg kills any weenie swarms. Plow Under, Stunted Growth, and Smokestack are crippling.

At one point I had Gaea's Touch and Gaea's Bounty for the mana engine but I think Skyshroud Claim is just way better.

R

Rooser

Um, when somebody says A gives B a run for its money, that means they still think B is the better choice, right? I said Yavimaya Elder was still the better choice.

Anyway, yes, train, Hurricanes are great for green stompy too. I just didn't make room for them.

So, yes, consider Hurricane, Academy Man!

K

Killerbob

If you want to make it play like fires, you need concordant crossroads.
Then you need some acceleration (birds, llanowar elves, fyndhorn elves, rofellos etc), and some big creatures. Weatherseed treefolk is nice too. its big, it tramples, and it will be back!

What green misses is the direct damage. To get proper direct damage you have to add some artifacts. Cursed scroll and aeolipile are possible.

N

NorrYtt

Yavimaya Elder is my favorite creature. Weatherseed Treefolk is my favorite big creature. Beast Attack is my favorite Odyssey card for all the reasons you mentioned: speed, wrecks control, card-advantage, combat math, creature removal, and the damn blue mages won't touch it hooray! That's just my kind of card.

I'm saying Yavimaya Elder >> Krosan Tusker. There are some niches that Tusker fits into, like Type II, Beasts, a strange U/g control deck where Tusker replaces Inspiration, W/G/r Slide, or even Oath of Druids + Dragon Parts. Actually, Yavimaya Elder isn't so bad with Oath of Druids, but Tusker is better. For most of my green decks, Yavimaya Elder is better. He's just exactly right in green. The one-two drops accel, the 3 drops utility, and the 4+ drops the bomb.

A nearer comparison is Yavimaya Elder > Solemn Simulacrum.

T

train

the only reason the elder comes out spiffier is he gives you a blocker - but in the long run - costs you more to use...

Either way - I run the tusker, and the elder... and simulacrum...;) :D

R

Rooser

Yeah, Norytt, I agree, Yavimaya Elder is better than Kroisan Tusker. I never said otherwise.

But Krosan Tusker is still really good and there's no reason not to run both.

A

Academy Man

sorry I disapeared, I had finals last week, but I'll try to give you the version of the deck that I'm running right now some time this week.

T

train

That would be cool...

and, just curious... finals "last week"...:)

A

Academy Man

ya, my school is weird, we have 2 weeks of school and finals week after winter break, so we have more time to "study", at school right now, post later.

T

train

That is weird... what's weirder - it's here in the US and not a foreign school schedule...

Do you all do those Tri-Mesters?...

A

Academy Man

2 semesters, we start school the day after labor day and get out the second week of june, still working on deck. I'll post later.

R

Rooser

It's not that weird at the university level, but it's becoming more uncommon. ASU did that until just a few years ago.