Greater Good rules!

Z

Zadok001

Well, I suppose I should eventually explain why, exactly, I sign my messages "Greater Good fanatic." So, here we go again.

Greater Good doesn't suck. It is NOT a crap rare. Why? Because it is extreme card advantage.

The Deck:

4 Greater Good (YAH! ALL HAIL!)
4 Weatherseed Treefolk (Comes back when you sac it to Greater Good...)
4 Rancor (Again, comes back when saced)
4 Endless Wurm (Perfect economy. 5 mana for 6 cards with a Greater Good)
3 Multani (Questionable. I need an idea for something to replace this guy.)
4 Alter of Dementia (The kill card)
4 Lawnmowers
4 Priest of Titainia (Those are _some_ expensive critters)
2 Rofellos (Mo' Mana!)
2 Abundance (I have a bad habit of decking myself)
1 Fecundity
2 Seeker of Skybreak
19 Forest
2 Gaea's Cradle

This deck has two paths to victory: Charge, smash, and crush with the fatties and Rancor, or the better option: milling. The Alter allows you to repeatedly sac a triple Rancored Weatherseed over and over until you opponent's graveyard looks like a stack of trading cards and their library is nowhere to be seen.

Anyway, just thought I show everyone what this deck really is...

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I have an idea. I always thought that Sneak Attack would have real good synergy with Greater Good. Why not splash red for that? If 5 mana for 6 cards is good, 1 mana for 6 cards is better!

TomB
CPA Member
"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor

Z

Zadok001

*Head lights up like small fireball*

*Considers several new possible decklists*

*Starts counting cash to buy Sneak Attacks*

Does anyone have Sneak Attacks for trade?

B

Baron Sengir

I got one. What cards do you have? E-mail me at maraxus25@hotmail.com and we can work something out.

I remain
The Baron
Trading Madman

D

Dune Echo

"Little Tricks"
Colors: White/Green
Created by: Kirsin Koch
Description/Theme: Nothing but cantrips
Source: Personal
Tournament Format: Classic Restricted

White:
4 Abeyance

Blue:
4 Arcane Denial
4 Dismiss
4 Disrupt
2 Interdict

Green:
4 Arctic Wolves
4 Gaea's Blessing
4 Multani's Acolyte
4 Wall of Blossoms

Artifacts:
1 Ivory Tower
4 Urza's Bauble

Lands:
5 Forest
4 Island
4 Savannah
4 Tropical Island
4 Tundra

Sideboard:
4 Burnout
4 Gravebind
4 Headstone
2 Interdict

This is a totally thematic deck I was fooling around with the other day. The whole deck is nothing but cantrips. So, you pretty much always have a full hand no matter what. Recycle your graveyard with Gaea's Blessing and counter your opponent's stuff with Arcane Denial, Interdict, Disrupt, and Abeyance. Yeah, this deck is pricey, but that is easily remedied by putting in all basic lands and things should still work out. Use your creatures for beatdown. Don't be afraid not to pay echo or upkeep costs or sacrifice them during combat. You can always recycle your creatures later.

Also, Striped Bears is a cantrip for those who want more creatures. And in regards to the sideboard, it's all cantrips too and I did the best I could with what I had to work with. Every card is designed to work against a color, so it's fairly limited, I apologize. And remember, that Interdict works against Null Brooch, Cursed Scroll, Masticore, etc.

If anyone can put this deck together and play it, let me know about it's performance. Are there any improvements that can be made while keeping it thematic? Thanks.

P.S. For some reason, the subject title isn't showing up when I was posted this deck. So, I posted it here and hopefully you all will see it. Sorry about posting it three times! Can anyone figure out why that happened? I know I put in a subject, I even tried different names!

Z

Zadok001

'Dis forum, it be broke. I just tried to post your deck to see if it would work for me, but no such luck. :-( Oh, well. I tried.

On the topic of your deck.

What about Recycle? It doesn't directly fit the theme, not being a cantrip itself, but it makes everything else a bonus cantrip, which could be kinda cool... I tried a deck like this a few weeks ago, but could never find an effective creature to defend myself from my cutthrought opponents.

Artic Wolves were my eventually solution, but even they couldn't defend quite well enough. As a result, I dropped some of the theme in favor of old-fashioned walls. Wall of Roots and Wall of Diffusion made it in as my blocker choices... Anyway, just a thought.

D

Dune Echo

I actually considered other cards for the deck, and Recycle was one of them. However, it's hard to cast quickly at 4GG and I would have to add in Spellbook or Library of Leng to handle it's restrictions. So, I just went for an all-out cantrip deck with one notable exception. It's meant as a fun deck only really. I don't think it would win much. But if it did, that would be cool, wouldn't it?

But hey, if anyone comes up with a version that keeps the theme strongly but makes it on the whole, stronger, post it. I'd like to see! I would like to see more creatures in it too.

T

TheVert

Here is a suggestion for merely a tweaked version of yours. I still fear the deck is in risk of being locked down by solid counter deck, and lacks much in the way of middle game.

60 card Deck

2 Reclaim
1 Divining Top
1 Junkyo Bell
1 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
4 Greater Good
4 Altar of Dementia
2 Endless Wurm
1 Symbiotic Wurm
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Weatherseed Treefolk
1 Repopulate
2 Crucible of Worlds
4 Rancor
1 Reincarnation
2 Blanchwood Armor
1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emmissary
1 Basking Rootwalla
1 Arrogant Wurm
2 Library of Leng
2 Gaea's Cradle
19 Forests

I can put Leng and Crucible in play, and then when I have to discard, I can put them back on the top of my deck and discard lands. Then I can use crucible to play lands from graveyard and if I get Lost but Seeking in, I can play them 3 at a time. Arrogant Wurm and Basking Rootwalla give you decent cheap creatures, especially with their madness cost. Symbiotic Wurm is a 7/7 who gives you 7 1/1's if you sac him, and 4 cards. Those work together with the Junkyo Bell, which lets you give a creature +x/+x where that is the number of creatures you have. Then you can attack/sac or just sac. Rofellos gives alot of mana. Top lets you get Greater Good in a little faster, because you need it pretty quickly.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Behold: a master thread necromancer is among us. His very first post is necromancy on a thread that had last been active in 1999.

TheVert, I bow before your dark powers.

O

orgg

This thread brought me false hope and a tear to my eye.

I miss every single poster that posted on this thread... except TomB. He's still around, thankfully.

*e-mails Baron Sengir's old e-mail hoping to contact the Original Founder of the CPA.

T

TheVert

Guess I never really noticed how old the thread was. I just googled in Greater Good, because I was trying to figure out the best way to build a deck around it, and I found this thread and the "Greater Good/Altar of Dementia" combo idea and wanted to run by a variant of the original deck that I might consider. Never noticed how old it was. Sorry for drudging up archaic posts, but oh well, maybe I gave some of the older guys a blast from the past.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
TheVert said:
Sorry for drudging up archaic posts, but oh well, maybe I gave some of the older guys a blast from the past.
Don't worry about it. Speaking for myself, it's nice to see posts from 1999: in small doses (and it's been a while since the last one).

And I hereby induct you into the CPATNT (Casual Players Alliance Thread Necromancy Team).

So yeah, back on topic...

A lot of the technology you're using is, as you undoubtedly realize now that it has been brought to your attention that this thread is a blast from the past, new enough that it didn't exist back then. If I were to retool this deck using modern technology (it seems weird that so much about this game has changed since 1999), I would exploit Madness. More Madness! You already have some choice Madness cards, but I'd go overboard. I don't think it would be the ultimate use of Greater Good or anything, but it would probably be one of the most annoying ones for your opponent.

G

Gizmo

You surely realise that one of the leading Type-II decks is a Greater Good deck based around the Goryo's Vengeance and the Kamigawa Dragons etc?

Went 6-0 at Worlds.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I hadn't known Greater Good was reprinted and I hadn't known what Goryo's Vengeance is either. I'm not really up to date on things these days...

G

Gizmo

It's basically Shallow Grave/Greater Good. You 'Shallow Grave' out the Yosei, attack for 5, sac it to GG and draw 5 into your deck for another 'Shallow Grave'/Reclaim/Recollect and the Yosie's ability basically shuts down your opponents turn.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

T

TheVert

Another one I was tinkering with was a Greater Good/Doubling Season Deck. This version would be legal (for a month or two, anyway)

2 Kashi-Tribe Elite
3 Greater Good
2 Naturalize
4 Reclaim
1 Junkyo Bell
1 Bringer of the Green Dawn
2 Orochi Leafcaller
1 Sakura Tribe Elder
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Orochi Sustainers
2 Seshiro, The Anointed
2 Sachi, Daughter of Seshiro
1 Orochi Eggwatcher/Broodmistress
4 Doubling Season
4 Orochi Hatchery
1 Scion of the Wild
2 Jugan, The Rising Star
20 forests

The Doubling Season/Hatchey combo is absolutely killer, and then the snakes lay bonuses all over each other. It's got alot of cheap mana sources, which become big mana with Sachi. The Bringer gives you a 3/3 every turn, or 2 3/3s with one doubling season, 4 with 2, etc. Broodmistress lets you pump up snakes you get through by sac'ing the blocked ones. Junkyo Bell gives you a big bonus to some 1/1 who you can then sac for cards. Kashi-Tribe Elites give your legend snakes some cover. The Scion of the Wild will become big with all the tokens I can produce. With 1 Doubling Season, you sac Jugan to get 10 +1/+1 counters. Only big problem this deck seems to have is absolutely zero sky support outside Jugan. Also, I fear decking myself from overdraws. Any suggestions?

Melkor

Of course, the best part of any Greater Good deck is intoning with a serious voice, that the creature was sacrificed for the greater good.