Graveyard/hand/card memory kinda question

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Sammy Dead-O, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Sammy Dead-O wasting away again

This is a question that came up yesterday at the shop. I'm hoping someone can tell me the correct answer and give a little insight into what cards remember when zone changes take place.

Player A got a Crosis, the Purger into his graveyard. He attempted to Zombify it.

Player B responded to the Zombify by using his Shieldmage Advocate to return the Crosis to Player A's hand.

Player A immediately discarded the Crosis again using his Fledgling Imp.

The Zombify now tried to resolve. Did it still recognize the Crosis it originally targetted, putting it into play? Or did it essentially get countered the moment its target was removed from its original zone?

Thanks for looking at this one for me.
  2. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

No, the Zombify will not be able to find the Crosis because the game considers it to be a "different" Crosis than the one that Zombify originally targetted. From the Comp. Rules:

217.1c A card that moves from one zone to another is treated as a new card. Effects connected with its previous location will no longer affect it. There are two exceptions to this rule: Effects that edit the characteristics of a spell on the stack will continue to apply to the permanent that spell creates, and abilities that trigger when a card moves from one zone to another (for example, "When Rancor is put into a graveyard from play") can find the card in the zone it moved to when the ability triggered.

(- Steve -)
  3. Sammy Dead-O wasting away again

Thanks, Jigglypuff!