good news and a question

A

Apollo

Some of you may remember about a month ago, when I whined about my broken ankle. :) Well, Friday I got my big bulky, heavy plaster and fiberglass cast that went over my knee off. I got a light, no plaster, below the knee walking cast instead.

While the cast was off, I saw my leg. It's not a pretty sight. The muscles atrophied very badly. Also, the ankle swelled and the skin tore, so it's covered with scabs and blisters. The calf of my right leg is two inches smaller than my left calf. Anyway, I'm slowly putting more and more weight on it, and I can now walk without crutches (actually, it's more of a limp) for short periods of time. They said I should be able to walk just fine by Friday.

Anyway, the question: like I said, the muscle is very atrophied. Does anyone know how long it would take to get it back to the original condition? This is assuming that I swim, and use an exercise bike, etc. I realize that most of you would have no clue, but I thought maybe we'd have a doctor, or someone that had been in my position. I was so consumed with elation at being able to bend my knee that I didn't think of these questions :)

"Is there a doctor in the house?"

Apollo

U

Ura

I had the same thing happen to my wrist when I got it reconstructed (long story).
but it takes about 6 months to get back to its previous level if your gonna be careful with it and not re-injure yourself or the muscles.
hope that helps

[Edited by Ura on July 7th, 2000 at 08:36 PM]

C

Chaos Turtle

Ura got the 14,000th post! (assuming we started at 1)
Wow.

U

Ura

Really? :D

Cool! Do I get a prize or something? :)
Maybe that sandwich I wanted in another thread?
*drools*

F

FoundationOfRancor

Well apollo, im happy that ur out of your bad condition and into a slightly less bad one:)

A

Apollo

6 months, huh? Not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but oh well. I can walk well now, I'm happy to say. Thanks to those who responded, even if only to remark on the 14,000 post :)