Global Killer - thanks WOTC!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said in General, I don't think this is life gain and so won't work with False Cure...

T

train

I posted why it works in the other thread...

it deals with the definition of Life, Life Gain, from the Comp. Rules...

M

Mikeymike

That is a pretty cool (and pretty mean) 2-card combo for multi-player. In chaos, that is likely to do 60+ damage or so.

T

train

As billy Bob Thornton called it in Armageddon, and they talk about it Astronomy...

It's known as a...

Global Killer...

I'm really wondering if the idea would catch on or not... It's expensive to play - but really not too bad with Mana fixing like dark rituals, lake of the dead, etc...

M

mythosx

are you sure it works? I don't see the word gains life on that card anywhere. The wiz site never used the word gain life anywhere in the article describing what it does... all it does is swap life totals from players. Its like biorhythm...no one loses life or gains life...it just becomes something...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If your life total goes up, then it's lifegain. This is true with things like Blessed Wind, Beacon of Immortality, Biorythm, etc.

What is this card we're talking about though? What does it do exactly?

T

train

here's the Definition according to the Comp. Rules:

Life, Life Total
Life total is a sort of score. Each player starts the game with 20 life. Any increase in a player’s life total is considered to be gaining life. Any decrease in a player’s life total is considered to be losing life. A player whose life total drops to 0 or less loses. This is a state-based effect. See rule 420.5.

The card is a new COK card that was previewed yesterday - It allows you to "redistribute" life totals of any number of players...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It does cost a ton of mana, but it's also insane with cards that let you pay life to do things. Take Necropotence for example...

R

Rooser

Yes, it does work, train, but how is it strategically viable?

If you're at one and your opponent is at 20 and you play False Cure in response to reverse the sands then either:

A) You take the 20 life, thereby gaining 19, thereby losing 38, thereby being at -18, meanwhile your opponent is at 1 and wins.

B) You keep the one life, your opponent keeps the 20 life and nothing happens.

If the situation was reversed, (You start at 20 and they start at 1), then, sure, you kill them, but at that point you're paying ten mana to do one point of damage.

Okay, okay, but those are the extremes. What the combo really does is kill anybody who has a life total that is half that of another person, and when you're spending two cards and ten mana to kill off a person who's already losing - you might as well just Death Grasp for 8.

T

train

The idea can work for duels - but is more for the "group" games...

Wouldn't you love to see their faces the one and only time you played it during the session?...

in a tourney - no... in casual - yes...

Heck - this could even affect team games like emperor!!!...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I still think this card has more bang with Necro...

Pay tons of life to draw mana acceleration, and then pay all of your remaining life except one, and cast Reverse the Sands. Your opponent is at 1. You get more life to Necro with...

Would be good if this thing didn't cost EIGHT MANA!

R

Rooser

Originally posted by Oversoul
I still think this card has more bang with Necro...

Pay tons of life to draw mana acceleration, and then pay all of your remaining life except one, and cast Reverse the Sands. Your opponent is at 1. You get more life to Necro with...

Would be good if this thing didn't cost EIGHT MANA!
Hey, Oversoul. You're the one who's group doesn't care about banned and restricted lists too much, huh? Why don't you build this deck and just use Channel to get the mana you need?

G

Gaea'sSaproling

Hate to burst your bubble but its not life gain, it wont work there is no "gains life" mentioned in the text its just redistributing all players total life points.

T

train

Sheesh - more people need ot read the comp. rules at least once a month... I had to do a lot of explaining for this here(Angelo)...:rolleyes:

but it works...

:cool: :D