Glad to be back..Rating Cateran Overlord

Q

Quill

First I'd like to thank Ed Sullivan for helping me get my password back. Thanks Ed!!
This is my first posting since the rating article, hopefully it didn't suck too bad :)
Cateran Overlord...I really like this card..more than anything because its BIG. (7/5) The 4bbb casting cost doesn't bother me a whole lot since black has so many ways to discard and recover cards from the graveyard. Its really not unreasonable to get an Overlord out on the second or third turn with graveyard manipulation. And it regenerates!! Combined with its ability to search for just about any mercenary I think this card deserves at least an 8. The only thing missing is trample...but then it would have to be green :) But with blacks awesome creature removal who needs trample anyway?
What do you guys think of "The Lord"?
Quill

G

Gumby Khan

Ewww, have to disagree with you there. Casting cost is way too high for a 7/5, even if it can pull mercenaries out of your deck. If it attacks (take advantage of 7/5 beatdown), then you can't pull a mercenary. I would rather play Delrich instead, because at least it has trample and if I want to, I can Twisted Experiment for a 9/5 trampler! I give the Can't-eran Over-cost a 5 (still a great blocker and Merc. fetcher). :)

D

Dune Echo

Yeah, I have to agree here. I give the Overlord an overall 5. I'm not big on the Mercenaries at all. I just think that Delraich is better simply for the trample ability.

Q

Quill

Hey Gumby :)

I know the casting cost is really high. But exhume only cost 1b and its one of the many ways a black mage can get a creature like this on the board early(Animate dead would be another). BUT I totally agree with you about delraich being better because of the trample, who doesn't love trample? I think the fetching ability is underestimated, and regenration is always a plus. I may have scored a little high just on the "Fatty Factor" (I think I just made that phrase up). Good analysis on yourt part though..you're probably a smarter player than I am :)

Quill

S

sorcerer

Cateran overlord is a great card I can usually get one out on the third turn. Plus, if you have a few of them in your deck you can play worry beads. This can screw your enemy big time, and when ever a creature you want in play is killed (i.e. Cateran Overlord) use something like victimize to bring two just for tapping three and sac'ing a creature. This would cost a total of 6, three to play worry beads and three for victimize. Cateran Overlord is a great mercenary (I love mercenaries).

G

Gumby Khan

Quill, don't let my analysis fool you. I ain't that smart of a player, cause if I were, would my rating be 1550? Thank you for the compliment, though. Now, after releasing some hot air out of my head, I would like to offer a counter-point to sorcerer.
I understand why victimize is great to bring fatties out of the grave, but wouldn't you rather drop two Delrich's instead? Cateran Overlord can be stopped cold by River Boa. Sure, you can grab another mercenary with it, but other, cheaper creatures can do that, too. Worry beads is just overall good in black recursion decks, not just ones with Overlords. Can you imagine what you could do with 4 Unearth, 4 Exhume, 4 Victimize, and a bunch of random creatures like Bone shredders, Skittering Horror, Delrich, etc.? Especially if you have Worry Beads out? :) My point, Overlord is over-rated and you could do better with other black Fatties, like Delrich, Fallen Angel, Greven-il Vec, and the classic Lord of the Pit! :)

"Why eat hamburger, when you can have steak?"
-Personal Opinion

D

Duel

There are four excuses for using black: suicide, pestilnce, recurrence, and necro/bargain. Cateran overlord doesn't fit into any of those categories. The only thing that makes it worthwhile at all is Conspiracy. In fact, mercenaries are redeemed solely by cateran summons. I give it a 3.

Z

Zadok001

I personally like it. It's costly, yes. But hell, guys, it's a BLACK freakin' 7/5 with regeneration. Remind me, when was this a bad thing? :) The ability to search is secondary, it's big. More expensive than Delraich, sure, but harder to kill, too.

Re: Duel:

Reanimation! Exactly! :) You like those turn two Necromancies on something fat. Something fat that regenerates must be good too.

But, I could be wrong, of course...

"I just love fatties. Hey, I'm the Greater Good fanatic, right?"

Q

Quill

Hmmm..Duel

Not that I think I would ever need an "excuse" to play black, but which category of the ones you listed do the black control decks fit into? You know..the ones with all the cards to make the opponent discard, (Duress, hymn to tourach, maybe a stupor or two) and the control creatures like Phyrexian Plaguelord mixed with Phyrexian Negators? Very fun to play :)

D

Duel

Okay, so I forgot about the re-animation potential. Yes, Zadok, I apologize for not thinking of it in my recurrence deck. But because I can never get my hands on one, I will just give it a 6. After all, we need room for the jealosy factor...