Get rid of useless forums!!!!!!

A

arhar

Let's be honest with ourselves. CPA isn't such a thriving site anymore. Nowadays, I check out the CPA and I find maybe one or two new posts in each forum, which creates an illusion of CPA dying and drives potential posters away. Now, I think the solution is simple - get rid of all the unnecessary forums! Leave just two: "CPA/Magic stuff" and "Off topic".

And mods, please, don't move this into "Suggestions" or "CPA/Magic issues"... because I think this is an important enough question and it deserves to be on the main forum...

H

Hetemti

General Stuff, Off Topic, and Trading are the only ones I pay attention to.

P

Purple_jester

Perhaps the other, less used forums can be melded or simply modified into sub-forums. One of the qualities I enjoy about the CPA is that you immediately know where everything is because of the well-defined forums.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, I'm more concerned with the first part of arhar's post, with the "not thriving anymore". I've said that about here in the last year but people seem to think it's doing okay...

I think generally, the forums are well-defined and I'm guessing people like Hetemti trust the mods to put stuff in the right forums so they know that it's a waste of time to go to places that don't concern them. Would they read all of the posts if it was just two forums? Beats me...

M

Mr_Pestilence

A Magic website, like Magic itself, runs in cycles. It is more popular at some times than others. But, take it from an 8-year player, membership and activity will pick up again.

Whether its the economy, boredom induced from playing against an endless sea of decks with Islands, or whatever, Magic is currently in a down cycle. But I would bet that by the time the Odyssey block rolls around, or around the time for the national championships, Magic will be peaking again, and the posters will be back.

Be patient (they have to run out of counterspells sooner or later (well, maybe not)).

R

rkoelsch

I just want to say that as long as this site is operational I will frequent it. It is the most civil site and I really like a lot of the people who come here. And even though I have tried to be more competative I really like the ideas that come up here. I would love to play against decks like these. I think we should decide what this site is geared toward. I also visit Brainburst , Star City, and Wizards Community boards. As much as I like Brainburst, I am ready to delete their bookmark. Their Pop up ads are just annoying. I am still considering signing up for the premier service to stop the ads. But I really think I need to cut down on my surfing and Brainburst doesn't offer much for the casual player.
I guess I just started rambling. I will stop now.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mr. P:
But I would bet that by the time the Odyssey block rolls around, or around the time for the national championships, Magic will be peaking again, and the posters will be back.
I don't know, it's my impression that not many people posted a lot of decks when Odyssey OR Torment came out.

rkoelsch:
I am still considering signing up for the premier service to stop the ads
You could always download a service/program that stops pop-up... :)

E

EricBess

I've noticed that there have been fewer people around here recently also. Or, at least the same people less frequently. I myself visit less frequently than before and I know a few other people that are the same. But I'll keep coming, even if it is sporatic.

I agree that there are a lot of forums that I don't visit. However, the forums that I visit are different than the forums that you visit. I have slightly different interests and reasons for coming here. I think the same can be said for just about everyone.

If you reduced forums, than more things would be posted to the forums that remain. I would have to wade through a bunch of stuff to find what I'm really interested in.

I hope that we're not in danger of stagnating and losing this site. It would be a shame if that were to ever happen. I hope that if it ever starts to get to that point that we would be given ample warning to exchange emails and so forth so we can keep in contact with each other. But this is a great site still and even though it's not as busy as it used to be, it still serves it's purpose well.

D

DÛke

Ericbess:

...I hope that if it ever starts to get to that point that we would be given ample warning to exchange emails and so forth so we can keep in contact with each other...
That's why I already got the emails and have given my own to almost everyone I care about in the CPA. Better safe than sorry, right? :) Plus, I *really* dislike coming to the CPA just to check on a PM.

As for the activity being "picked up again" -- I'm not sure about that. The activity level, in here, has been low for very long now...and it's only getting lower. I dunno...there's just nothing to make a commotion about...we need something that can shake up the place, and turn it up side down. Like maybe, WotC releasing a new stand alone where 50% of the cards are extra powerful, which in turn leads to erratas, bursts of rule changes, and plenty of bannings, and *even* restictions in other formats. That would surely get this place goin' once again; I can only imagine mobs of angery players...:D After all, the Urza block *is* responsible for the birth of the CPA...:)

T

theorgg

The CPA will survive.

I agree with Mr. Pestilence, this place will pick up. Many people who have been here for quite some time are getting more responsibility, which reduces time spent here, which decreses the amount of posts.

I'm going off to colledge later this year as well, and I know many people have already headed that direction. This site has the best forums on the net. Ever.

The I.Q. of the posters here on avarage are much higher than on Mtgnews.com or misetings.com, the only other sites I will somtimes check the forums of.

Magic and the CPA will survive. It may look a little unpopulated now, but when there is an issue that people feel strongly enough about, they will post.

Each forum has a specific audience. I'm sure many people don't care to see the Battles from the Battle forum, or, like me, the Trading Forum.

Deleting lesser-used forums destroys the place for testing your signature-modification, or any Askii tests you wish to try. Complaints, et cetera also don't belong in General or Off Topic, but they may be important enough to need addressing.

Ahar, don't worry. This place will survive.

A

arhar

Ok. I guess you guys are right. I sure hope this place shall surivive!

G

Gerode

I've been concerned by the decay also. I'm not sure if its because of the Magic world or the shrinking pool of forum visitors, but I don't find as much to talk about here. This is one of the only forums I know of where the intelligence level of all the posters is not embarrassing, and this is the only site that has a community feel to it. Although I'm posting less and less, I still visit the site daily and will continue to do so as long as there is any activity at all. (This is the first rambling post I've had here in a while... spooky)

E

Elrond

I check this site out every day of the week and I very rarely post anything because I wait until I have something I feel is really pertinent to say.

I agree with a lot of what's said here especially with theorgg's statement about the general IQ being higher here than elsewhere.

I'd also like to say that the main reason I come here is because I can come in and still follow what's going on even if I've been away for a couple of days. That kind of thing doesn't happen at Mtgnews which I check out regularly, but if I miss a day of posts everythings completely different.

I think that that's part of the reason that this place will stay around, along with what everyone else has said.

C

Captain Caveman

With the new baby and the cost of some of the popular rares my
interest has drifted somewhat. I still visit several site when I can
but I fine myself with less time than before. I hope the CPA will
survive. I enjoy coming here and tossing around ideas.

Caveman

I

Istanbul

Moreover, I think that this is an especially *friendly* Magic site. More than many other sites, this site has kept what Magic really is in focus: it's a game with a tournament aspect. It's not anything to fight about (mostly), it's not life itself.

Moreover, it's a game. It's supposed to be FUN!

That's what I think I like about this site more than most any other. You can come here and talk to people about anything in Off-Topic, General Gaming, or whatever, or you can get right down to Magic. Just like any real playing group, where you can come to play Magic or NOT, and it's still okay if you just want to B.S. with people you know and like.

Except you, Duke. You can't come here no more. :) (Kidding!)

A

Almindhra

Originally posted by Elrond
I check this site out every day of the week and I very rarely post anything because I wait until I have something I feel is really pertinent to say.
Same with me...I check it prob even mroe than once a day...And as many of you have prob noticed, I haven't been posting that much...But that is due to so many things...

Hopefully, the CPA will survive....:confused:..

F

FoundationOfRancor

I think Istanbul's right.
The site is currently at its grit right now, but it will never go down more. It's not a decay really, just alot of other factors have cycled out (Oppression of casual cards, weird bannings...etc)

G

Gizmo

I think the CPA has killed itself. At one point it was in position to make a move and become one of the biggest magic sites on the net. The decision was taken not to make that step up... and it`s demise was inevitable. Basically... the people who came here stopped playing magic, so the people who played magic stopped coming here.

I remember a whole number of posts last year, in October/November where I predicted the site would fall, and people replied by saying 'I dont play Magic any more, I`d come here whatever happened' and the ened result is what you are looking at now. Inevitably the CPA has found itself to be a frathouse for a very small clientele, exactly where it began. I dont think the CPA has anywhere to go now but extinction... it will survive in its current form for a while yet, but it will not grow and it will eventually shrink. There is neither the desire nor the will to alter that.

I wanted the CPA to be the biggest and best site on the net - that vision was rejected. Dont complain now that the site has become what you chose it to be... small, unpopular, unappealing to newcomers, and little more than a chatroom for a half dozen people.

D

DÛke

...that was plain harsh, Gizmo. I don't disagree much though.

Istanbul:

...You can come here and talk to people about anything in Off-Topic, General Gaming, or whatever, or you can get right down to Magic...
This freedom seems to be not much of an attraction. People, obviously, want Magic -- that's it. It really does highlight my reasons for quitting: it is being a minority if being casual. MTGnews provides mostly Magic discussions, that's why, there, it's a stampede of never ending people. I personally think, that if the Off-Topic place was never created, the CPA would have been a much more attractive site to many others rather than the little few of us who actually *have* a life above and beyond Magic -- which is nothing more than a game.

I *really,* really didn't want to quote a former CPA member saying this to me on AIM, but:

Dementia:

...I don't like the CPA a lot because I don't belong with those smart people...
[I apologize in advanced for quoting.] Maybe it's not us -- maybe it's them? He's a frequent MTGnews member, I believe, and has left this place because he feels that he "doesn't belong" with us because most of us somehow have managed to show that we're a bit more intelligent. Also, seeing how most of you guys think this place has a lot of people with good I.Q. compared to other forums...it furthermore may prove that we are actually *too* good to some or most other people. Just a "theory."

Spiderman asked this before, but should this place fall without a warning of any kind, how do we keep in touch? Email is great, but...like Chaos Turtle have once said, "we're like a family," so talking, arguing, or downright fighting with only one person is not so great without the other adorable members. In what other forum can you recognize a name *and* a personality associated with that name? I've only been to the CPA that is like that...so I'm not sure if there any others that have such "lifelike" qualities.

I dunno...and the bad thing, I really do think that this place has a falling day forthcoming.

J

Jigglypuff

I admit to not playing Magic as frequently as I used to. I, like a few other members whose names I can't remember for the life of me, have found myself with a lot of new responsibilities thanks to college and I just can't play much anymore. Hopefully, after I finish my papers for Health and English, I'll be able to post most of my newer decks for your reading enjoyment. And I apologize for the lack of a third article, but like I said before, I just don't have the time anymore.

Now to respond to all of the points I have seen brought up in this topic (No personal attacks will be made; I have no desire to make enemies within the forums):

To DUke: I completely agree with everything you have posted on this topic. I personally hope that something will happen in the Magic world that will pick up the life of this place.

To theorgg: I also completely agree with everything you have posted on this topic. I too have noticed that the people here seem to be able to have reasonable, mature discussions about any topic without every post turning into a flame war. I have also noticed on some sites (that I won't mention) that the mods seem to close threads randomly without any provocation and I'm glad that our mods aren't so gung-ho.

To... oh the heck with it. I completely agree with pretty much every point made in this thread. I would like to add that I promise to write that third and fourth and fifth article and that I promise to post more decks and I promise to post more in general and I also promise never to do anything like that last sentence ever again.

EDIT: Just one last time. I promise to finish the song I started. Check this thread: http://www.casualplayers.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8992

(- Steve -)

PS: My email address is jigglypuff6000@msn.com and my AIM handle is jigglypuff690, just in case.