Gang Blocking

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Lythand, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

Im a little rusty on the gange blocking

I attack with a 3/3 creature. My opponant blocks with 2 1/1's Do both creatures "have" to take the damage dividing 2 points evenly, and leaving me with one point to distribute to either creature OR can I choose which one of the 1/1 creatures taking all the 3 points damage and the other surviving..if thats wjhat I want.

I was under the impression it was the latter...and not ladder

Someone I was playing the other said each creature would first have to take lethal damage if there is enough. If not enough only then can I assign the damage to the creature of choice or if there is an add amount of damage as in the case of above example, then again lethal damage would be delt to all creatures and remaing damage would be then distibuted.
  2. Limited Yes, but we won't care

If you are the attacking player, you get to decide how attacking creatures deal damage. So, if you attack with a 4/4 and your opponent decides to block with three 1/1's, you can do any of the following:
    - Deal one blocker 2 damage and the other two 1
    - Deal 2 damage to two of the blocking creatures
    - Deal 3 damage to one creature and 1 to another.
    - Deal 4 damage to only one blocker

Some special cases:
    If one of the defender players creatures has banding, the defending player gets to decide how the damage is distributed
    If your attacker has trample, you may also assign damage to the defending player, but only if you have assigned lethal damage to all blocking creatures.

Hope this clears things up for ya!
  3. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

Thus another reason I love Banding!
  4. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

If only you could band creatures against burn spells...... but otherwise it is a cool mechanic.
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Well, the en-Kor's kinda have the ability... but yeah, they're just a small subset of creatures... :)
  6. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

En-kors dont have burn spell banding, they have damage redirection.

Thats actually a little confusing since my creature in the example could only do 3 damage.
  7. EricBess Active Member

He changed the example to a 4/4 with 3 1/1 blockers.

In your example, a 3/3 is blocked by 2 1/1 blockers. You may:
    - Deal all 3 points to one blocker
    - Deal 2 points to one blocker and 1 point to the other.

Note that trample used to be a damage redirection, so if you are thinking that a 3/3 trampling creature can assign all 3 to one blocker and have 2 points "trample over", that rule actually changed before the other 6th edition changes.

A creature with trampling must assign lethal damage to all creatures before you can assign any to the player. So, if you have a 3/3 creature with trample and it is blocked by 2 1/1 creatures, your options for damage are:
    - Deal 3 damage to one of the blockers.
    - Deal 2 damage to one of the blockers and 1 damage to the other blocker.
    - Deal 1 damage to each of the blockers and 1 damage to the opponent.

I realize there are other reasons you may be asking the question. If one of the blockers has an ability that activates when it dies, for example, you may not want to kill it. I just wanted to make sure the bases were covered.
  8. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

SO I WAS right when I told that jerk he didnt know how to play the game.
  9. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I thought the whole point was allowing the "defender" (or the controller of the creature's getting burned) choosing how the damage would be dispersed, like banding. The en-Kors allow that, to a degree.
  10. EricBess Active Member

There were a number of attempts to make an "easier version of banding". Or at least, to create abilities that served similar purposes, but were easier to understand. The En-Kor ability was just one of those attempts (probably the most successful).

Similar attempts have been made at Rampage, Trample, and specific cards (Timewalk, anyone?).
  11. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

Don't know about the defender thing. But en-kors were redirection of damage

http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?&id=5272

There was an infinit damage combo that used an en-kor creature, furnace of rath and Mogg Maniac.
  12. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I'm not sure you're getting the point. I know they're redirectors of damage.

But Mooseman wished there was "banding creatures against burn spells" - which I took to mean if his creatures were on the receiving end of a burn spell, he'd like to choose how the burn damage is dealt, not his opponent.

And the en-Kor creatures with their damage redirection offer that.

Is that what you're trying to say in some roundabout way? :)
  13. Lythand Veteran CPA Member

Heh..I cant remeber at this point. its realy not important.
  14. orgg Administrator

Funnily enough, a couple cards have given 'defensive banding' (or the damage-distribution ability) to creatures. There's an enchantment from Urza's Saga, for example.

The 'group attack' aspect is the only thing that hasn't been done again. They'd probably have to do it much like Provoke.