G/W Type 1 Beats

T

The Lotus

Hey all, my friends and I are just getting back into Magic now <casually, of course. =)> and I've decided to get a new G/W deck going. Since my friends are too cheap to buy new Type 2-legal cards, we're doing everything ever made. So here's what I was thinking, and need some real help with it.
I'll be up against green/red and black mostly, by the way.

GOLD
-----
x4 Charging Troll
x4 Armadillo Cloak
x4 Fleetfoot Panther <No cash to buy Nobles>

Thinking about x4 Ranger en-Vec

WHITE
-----
x4 Pacifism
x4 Liberate
x4 White Knight
x4 Disenchant

Order of Leitbur/Youthful Knight?

GREEN
-----
x4 Giant Growth
x2 Pouncing Jaguar
x2 Wild Dogs
x2 Quirion Elves
x4 Llanowar Elves
x4 Blastoderm
x1 Thicket Elemental

LANDS
-----
8 Forest
6 Plains
2 Elfhame Palace

I have too many cards as it is. Also, I need something to protect myself from burn, which my opponents will have in abundance.

K

krichaiushii

Since you mention the word "casual" I am presuming (falsely, mayhaps) that you are playing multiplayer games.

If your primary opponents are red, green, and black, capitalize on white's multiple protection creatures, as well as those cards that grant protection.

A Story Circle or two will help immensely, allowing you to name the color protection you need.

Here is a list of commons and uncommons, with colors they protect against:

Mask of Law and Grace (Red and Black)
Mask of Duty and Reason (Green and Blue)
Obsidian Acolyte (Black)
Crimson Acoylte (Red)
Mother of Runes (any color)
Voice of Duty (Green)
Voice of Law (Red)
Voice of Grace (Black)
Voice of All (any color)
Disciple of Law (Red)
Disciple of Grace (Black)

But Paladin En Vec is king, with Protection from Red and Black, and a 2/2 to boot.

Blastoderms can be stalled against long enough to not be a problem, especially in multiplayer games so they might be easily replaced by other cards.

Squallmonger works wonders in multiplayer games, especially after having donned an Armadillo Cloak. Maybe Gaea's Blessing, to get the Cloaks and Trolls back?

Skyshroud Elves instead of Quirion Elves -- they generate and channel mana, and can trick your opponent into thinking you are running red, too. If this is for multiplayer games, Vine Trellis is better than Llanowar Elves, simply due to the stronger defense they provide for the early game.

And you can never go wrong with a Balance.

That's all.

T

The Lotus

Actually, what I meant by casual was that I don't have the budget for big cards like Geddon, Port, etc. At least, not many. ;-). I think we'll be playing multiplayer too, so thanks for your suggestions.

I've been brainstorming, and here's what I was thinking. Still a little too many cards, though, what should I leave out?

x4 Charging Troll
x4 Fleetfoot Panther
x4 Armadillo Cloak
x4 Ranger en-Vec
x4 Pacifism
x4 White Knight
x4 Wax/Wane
x2 Gaea's Blessing
x2 Pouncing Jaguar
x2 Wild Dogs
x4 Llanowar Elves
x2 Skyshroud Elves
x4 Rancor

10 Forests
10 Plains
2 Elfhame Palace

S

Sammy Dead-O

Mother of Runes is a great (and versatile) card. You could also throw in an Auratog or two to combo with the Rancor.