Funny Play

E

EricBess

Anyone here know who Tim Shields is? He used to work for WotC and had a lot to do with the implementation of Arena. Anyway, he was playing a mini-master game with a local judge and something really funny happened that I wanted to share.

Tim had been having mana issues. He was holding a few white spells, but had no Plains or Forests in play. He had a ton of Swamps and Islands, but only one Mountain. His only green card in hand was Refresh. He had no creatures in play.

His opponent had only 3 creatures in his entire deck (it was minimaster, after all). Tim had managed to kill two of them, but the third one, a Nakuto (sp?) Disciple, had just attacked to put Tim at 1 life. One of Tim's creatures in hand was a Tireless Tribe, so if he can just draw a Plains, he could stablize.

He draws and gets: A Forest. Not a Plains, a Forest. He figures he can cycle his Refresh for another chance at an answer.

Now, you might think he top decked a Plains and it was funny because he couldn't play it now since he had just played a Forest. You would be wrong. He actually top decked an answer. A good one: Firebolt. He cast it on the Disciple.

Only problem? Disciple was the only creature in play. Tim had just cycled his Refresh, putting a regeneration shield on the Disciple. He didn't have a second Mountain to cast Firebolt with Flashback, so the Disciple was able to attack and finish Tim off.

Z

Zadok001

LoL. :) That's pretty bad, I hear... Should give that to the Bad Play of the Week boys.

E

EricBess

Problem is, it wasn't a bad play. He had to find an answer and the only option he had to keep digging was the Refresh. It was a necessary, desperate play. It just turned out to be very funny.

Z

Zadok001

Mayhaps I misunderstood, then? Did he not actually CAST the Firebolt, forgetting about the Shield? Now that I re-read what you wrote, it seems that I was mistaken - I assumed he'd played the Firebolt, THEN remembered the shield he'd put up via Refresh. That makes the play a bit more acceptable... :)

M

Mikeymike

In a situation like that do as the Romans do, die an honorable death by killing yourself with the firebolt.

Z

Zadok001

The Romans killed themselves with peices of cardboard?

M

Mikeymike

3rd century cardboard was very sharp, countless people lost their lives to lethal paper cuts.

H

Hetemti

He should have cast Raid or Black Flag. It prevents Nantukos from regenerating. Kills 'em dead, you know.

E

EricBess

Okay, technically, he didn't play the Firebolt. He realized before he cast it that it would do him no good, but it sounds just that much funnier if he actuallys casts the Firebolt. But the point is, holding the Firebolt doesn't matter either, because he is dead as soon as the Disciple attacks again.