Friggin'Rizzo Reviews 7th Ed.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
What in the hell was this guy on? Crack? Smack? Crank? Dope? All of the above at the same time while dancing and singing to wierd al?

I'm just jealous that I didn't post it first.

Ransac, cpa trash man

I

Istanbul

Find The Accurate Reviews!

Arcane Laboratory - Well, so long as you can only cast one spell per turn, why not arrange it so that BOTH players can only play one spell per turn?

Force Spike - Indeed, I expect this card to get played (I already do).

Memory Lapse - A quietly good card, indeed.

Abyssal Specter - Very possibly a first pick.

Pyroclasm - DRAFT IT EARLY!

Stone Rain - You forgot Necrologia. :)

Lure - Actually, this IS good on a Taunting Elf. But it's better on the little-known Elvish Bard.

S

superguy

It's rare that an article makes me giggle like a little school girl. This was one of those times. :) That was pretty damn funny!

D

Darsh

Rizzo is completly right....unless he's wrong.

That was hilarious:D

A

arhar

I agree with absolutely all the things Rizzo has to say about the 7th edition. However, one card I disagree with him about is Spellbook. Rizzo said: This card was made for Sligh. Broken in Extended and Type 1 Sligh decks. But I say: Fudge Sligh! Since Necropotence has been recently unbanned in Urza's Block, and Spellbook has been re-errated to it's original wording, these two make the perfect combo again in April. Pro Tour Zimbabwe, here I come!

G

Gizmo

...but I wish I was also so popular that I could right utter bollocks and get paid for it. I have to actually try and be informative to get published.

And Starcity wonders why it has a bad reputation.

About as funny as a small thing that isn`t very funny.

Nice joke, shame somebody beat him to it by about two weeks -I think Sheldon Mennery did almost exactly the same thing in the same way (point out that most set reviews are nonsense) but didn`t think he could get away with posting such crap as an article in and of itself and had it as a PS to a rulings article.
Stuff like this is what makes me want to disassociate myself from Starcity.

P

Purple_jester

It's an okay read, but I wish the content could have been more than just a few simple one or two-liners. Like, maybe how the changes from 6th to 7th would affect the game?

Okay, fine. It was supposed to be funny. Not that it wasn't. ;)

C

Cateran Emperor

Another weird thing from JFR. Still, it was an amusing read, I wanted him to keep going :cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It was pretty amusing and an entertaining read...

but Gizmo makes a good observation in that only certain people can get away with this sort of thing. FrigginRizzo has developed a sort of reputation (at least the way I see it) as self-deprecating, amusing reports so this seems natural coming from him. If it came from someone like Zvi or Gizmo, I think people would be going "Huh? He wrote that?"

This is not a bad thing or meant to be insulting, just an observation on how people perceive others. Interesting in the social dynamics...

Killer Joe

In South-Western Pennsylvania, this kind of "wit" is very popular. I grew up with guys like John; sarcastic, pragmatic, and all with a touch of humor.
John has now established a 'persona' with his articles and though he has the subtleness of a Bull in a China Shop (that's 'dinnerware' for you hooligans), I feel he represents a sizable portion of "The Working Man's Magic Player" 's point of view.
John's articles may be an acquired taste, but that can easily be remedied with a pint of Iron City (unless you're under 21, then with a bottle of Carrot-Orange Sobe, :)).

S

Sidar Jabari

Nice joke Rizzo!

It was proably a little too long though.

Z

Zadok001

I didn't much care for it, myself... It seemed like the same joke, repeated 350 times. As much as most reviews suck, the way to fix that is to WRITE GOOD REVIEWS. Not go about saying "Reviews suck." That's contrary.

F

FrigginRizzo

Gizmo actually wrote one of the LEAST scathing opinions on my um, "article," which is odd, as I expected him to get all up in my face, and finally with good reason! And even though Ol' Giz is one um, "opinionated" fella, he did post the IBC U/B/R deck that will define the environment. So kudos on that front.

Dear Giz,

That deck is good. Real good.

Love,
The guy who gets smashed in the face with kicked Rages for fun.

I do appreciate all the niceties up there and even the few disses, but how could anyone get mad at a SEVENTEEN page article of pure nothingness?

Kurt Hahn makes Top Eight in Boston. The Ferrett is going to Barcelona. Certified Public Accountants everywhere are rejoicing. Good times for Magic. Can I add more irrelevant stuff?

-johnny in-between lives

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Gizmo DID put the :mad: smilie in the title...:)

I think that was WHY people were upset; people were praising 17 pages of nothingness. ;)

I could put something about The Nothing (are you reading, YJ?) in here, but I won't... :)

Killer Joe

<YJ flittering around the band room as if riding on Felkor>

On Topic: The article is funny to me, and appeals to my sense of humor. I just wanted to raise your awareness about the article, that's all.

BTW, Whimsical is Back!

BTW (part 2), Hi PJ! :)

D

Duel

This article was funny, provided you skipped over all the reviews that were essentially the same. for the first part, I was ROTFL, but as it wore on, (say, on the second color) it began to wear, as many were almost repeated. Some were original and funny, bu it felt like it ran out of steam.

one quote, however will immortalize this article, for better or for worse

"Deflection: two words: Wakefield Fattie."

G

Gizmo

Dear John,
I was mostly upset because it looked like you were abusing your position as an extremely popular writer by not giving a s*** about what the quality of your articles were. There are a lot of people trying to get published and are putting a HELL of a lot of effort into being as informative/funny/controversial/martian/heterosexual/longwinded as they can possibly be in order to achieve that aim.

Glad you liked my deck, about time somebody actually started to credit me for the UBR decks seeing as when I first posted them to the mailing list everybody told me how stupid I was for thinking UBR could be anything near Tier-1. You can be damn sure my name won`t be mentioned by any of the pros on the list.

No hard feelings,
Gizmo
xxx

A

Apollo

I laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

For the first 5 or 6 cards. Then, it started to wear. I made it through white, and hit the back button.

I can see where Gizmo is coming from. If i tried to post something like that, even to this site, it would most likely be thrown back in my face.

N

NeuroDeus

Funny review... I was nearly thinking it was all true...