Forgotten MRD block cards, Part III

M

Mur

Return with us now, to those thrilling days of yester-year ... well, not that long ago. How long has Mirrodin and Darksteel been out, and we've already tossed aside as useless more than 80% of the cards printed?

Anyway, that's my premise for this continuing series of now-and-then posts. From the looks of responses in recent threads, I've gotten at least a couple people to double-take on a few cards, and that's all I'm asking.

Today we're going to look at *Spinal Parasite*:

No, we're not. That card's just crap, and I refuse to write about it.

Instead, we're going to look at Neurok Hoversail:

Card : Neurok Hoversail
Cost : 1
Type : Artifact - Equipment
Wording : Equipped creature has flying. Equip 2 (2: Attach to target creature you control. Equip only as a sorcery. This card comes into play unattached and stays in play if the creature leaves play.)

Wow, that's cheap. Now, flying is a pretty decent evasion ability. Some colors get decent flyers at the high end of the mana curve. Exalted Angel. Promise of Power. Shivan Dragon. Nearly anything blue that costs more than 4 mana.

Then there's Green. Big, heavy dinosaurs and hairy beasts that can't manage to dodge around a stupid 0/1 Pest token.

Try this sometime when you are feeling frisky: build your standard Big Green Creature deck. The usual suspects: mana acceleration, some Naturalize/Oxidize disruption, and 15-16 JGG (jolly green giants). Don't pick the usual tramplers, though: just take the bottom of the rung, like Tyrranax, or Silverback Ape. Slap together the deck, but drop in 4x Hoversails. Suddenly there's damage potential.

Oh, sure: you could use Whispersilk Cloak instead. But the advantage is that you can shift the Hoversail from your attacking JGG to your big blocker, and hold off the attacking flyer that's too small to block your JGG.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I plan to put this (among others) into my Barbarian and Dwarf deck when I get around to updating them with Mirrodin cards ( :rolleyes: at me)

M

Mikeymike

Ooo, forgot about the hoversail. I'm going to put a copy in my WW-Equipment deck. I could use it.

R

Rooser

I'd rather just splash blue and work some Wonders into my graveyard if I was that desperate for Flying.[/bah-humbug]