Forbidding Shusher

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Melkor, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Melkor Active Member

A completely hypothetical situation, I someone had a Vexing Shusher in play and then their opponent cast Forbid with Buyback targeting one of their spells and they activated the Vexing Shusher, would the whole Forbid fizzle including the buyback or would the spell simply not be countered and the buyback effect would still happen?
  2. Modus Pwnens Eligible for User Title

Nope, it isn't countered on resolution. It's target is still legal, but when it resolves, it doesn't counter (because it can't). Forbid will still return to your hand.
  3. Melkor Active Member

That's what I thought
  4. BigBlue Magic Jones

Shusher doesn't prevent counters from being played, correct? Cannot be countered isn't the same as cannot be target of counters even when on the stack...

So, say you play Shusher (or any can't be countered spell), I can play Undermine to counter it,it won't counter the shusher but you'll still take 3 though. Right?

Obviously not a wise play, unless the player of the shusher is at 3 or less life, but we're hypothetical here.
  5. Ransac CPA Trash Man

BB: Exactly. I used a similar trick back in the Invasion standard. If my opponent tried to Urza's Rage me for the win, a timely Absorb would essentially negate the damage.

Ransac, cpa trash man