Fog Bank

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by BigBlue, Oct 17, 2002.

1. BigBlue Magic Jones

If a Fog Bank blocks a Scryb Sprite with Rancor...

How much trample damage does the defender take?

Fog Bank neither deals nor receives combat damage and is a 0/2 flying wall. The Rancored Scryb Sprite is a 3/1 Flier with Trample.

I think the damage will be 3 since you can't assign any damage to the fog bank, but I just want to make certain.
  2. Zero T Katama Silver Shadow Guardian

Although it does not recieve it, the Fog bank (I believe) Will still "Block" 2 of the Scryb sprite's damage, so the opponent would take 1
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Apparently it has new errata:

So you'd still have to assign 2 damage to the wall at the minimum (barring it hasn't been damaged before) so the defender will take 1.
  4. EricBess Active Member

All of those cards received errata soon after the trample rules changed. Gaseous Form is another example.
  5. BigBlue Magic Jones

Thanks...

Since Fog Bank seemed (at least in my memory) to be printed after the trample rules changed, I figured it would have been worded that way if it were meant to soak up that damage.

Thanks, time for a little more humble pie... jeez, I'm learning so much now that I've come to accept I know nothing and everything I know is wrong.
  6. EricBess Active Member

Like I said, they were errata's "shortly after" the trample rules changed. I think you are correct that the rules change actually happened before Fog Bank was printed (patterened after Gaseous Form). At the time, you could completely trample through the cards. Someone decided that they should behave more like Protection, so they were modified. I'm fairly certain that Fog Bank was typeset before the trample rules were altered, though.