Fluctuator + Library of leng = Abusive cycling

M

mythosx

Fluctuator + Library of leng

This is an abusive combo but I havent looked into all the cyclying effect cards. I need all your abusive thinking to help me out.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The only thing I can think of that abuses this is either something complicated or something like one of these...

Stoic Champion or Invigorating Boon...

Lightning Rift maybe...

Telekinetic Bonds and something that produced multiple mana might work...

M

mythosx

OOOhhh...Currently my friends and I personally have astral slide and gempalm incinerator going. Return all creatures for free!

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by mythosx
OOOhhh...Currently my friends and I personally have astral slide and gempalm incinerator going. Return all creatures for free!
Umm... don't ya mean remove everything from the game for free?

I don't see how you could return something from the graveyard or return something to a players hand with that combo.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not exactly sure how it works either, but the Astral Slide will cause the creatures removed from play to return to play at EOT. The thing is, I'm not sure how it's free because with the Gempalm Incinerator and Fluctuator, you still need to pay 2 red and discard a card...

M

mythosx

the gempalm incenarater is for the kill, any cycling card will do.

Library of leng

You have no maximum hand size limit. If a spell or ability forces you to discard a card, you may discard that card to the top of your library instead. (Second half is key.)

Fluctuator

Cycling costs you up to 2 less to play. (most cycle costs 2)

(Cycling)

Discard this card from your hand, draw a card. (when you discard to cycle, put the card on top of your Library)

You see a cycle here? Add any other effect that triggers upon cycling or discard or draw and you have something neat.

Spiderman - you are right, I don' know what I was thinking. It don't return squat. Just removes it temporarily. But it doesn't matter cuz you just do it again next turn.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the Library works with cycling. From Library of Leng at Crystalkeep, the library doesn't trigger when the discard is part of the cost. And with cycling, the discard is part of the cost.

The ability does not trigger on any spell or ability that has you discard as part of a cost. For example, Land's Edge. [Oracle 1998/07/01] Also, cards like Forbid, which have you discard as part of the buyback cost. [D'Angelo 1998/06/18]
502.18a - Cycling is an activated ability that functions only while the card with cycling is in a player's hand. The phrase "Cycling [cost]" means "[Cost], Discard this card from your hand: Draw a card." [CompRules 2003/07/01]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, you're right on there. I'd forgotten that Library of Leng is when an effect causes you to discard a card. With cycling, the discard is part of the cost...

M

mythosx

it triggers the effect and not costs. forexample you cant double pay the cost of discarding to cycling and lands edge. It is similar to not double sacrificing a creature for multiple effects. But if sacking a bottle gnome would trigger and creature go to grave yard effects.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually mythosx, I was under the impression that you thought it worked that way since I was responding to your post and you never said after that whether you agreed or not...