Fleeting Image

Killer Joe

I got two words: Friggin'-Pernious-Deed!!!!!!
This guy is in 7th Ed., I think he's great! A 2/1 Flyer that is virtually untargettable due to his ability to return to your via 1U. It's no Rainbow Effret, but it is in TODAY'S T2 environment.
Wuddyathink?

Z

Zadok001

I'm very attached, using him mainly in combination with Opposition and Static Orb. His ability to return to my hand essentially gives me another creature to lock down with, which is often exactly what I need. Unfortunately, he's VERY high maintenance, and it's hard to keep playing 1U every turn...

E

Ephrils

I always considered him a junk rare. Given the set he came in had Palinchron, which was incredibly superior to him I guess it's no wonder.. I tried to make a deck with him using Imaginary Pet. I planned on using his built-in bounce as a recurring blocker ability.

R

rkoelsch

He definitely fit into my Unnatural Reflection deck. Him and Darting Merfolk my blastoderm blocker.

Killer Joe

just focusing on the card as a "Single-Card Stratagy" makes it a poor creature/Junk Rare. In an aggro-control deck where mana is plentiful, then I think he warrents another look. In yesterday's tourney, I was faced with a killer Nether/Deed deck that kick my ars from here to Timbuktu. If I had had a Fleeting Image, it wouldn't have been so devistating to me, I could just return it back to my hand when he Pops the disk (I mean Deed :)). Same with Wrath, too.
I'm still doing more testing, but I really think it's worth taking another look at it, for the first time :).

G

Gerode

I hope you don't find anything breakable about him, I just traded mine away. :)

He was okay in my casual control deck, but I had problems paying the mana to bounce and cast again when I needed to the most.

Killer Joe

I've been poking and screwing around with this notion that U/G non-prison is viable in the new T2 environment. My template was Adrian Sullivan's old "Con-Troll" deck, I've posted several variations on it, sometimes it had Theiving Magpie or Canopy Spider or Millstone, all kinds of wierd stuff. Here's what it looks like right at this moment:

"U/G Counter-Snake"
2x Mahamoti Djinn
4x Gaea's Skyfolk
4x Fleeting Image
4x Mystic Snake
4x Counterspell
2x Foil
2x Thwart
2x Fact or Fiction
4x Accumulated Knowledge
4x Opt
3x Repulse
2x Rushing River
4x Yavimaya Coast
2x Dust Bowl
14x Island
4x Forest

I added the Images due to Pernicious Deed, as per mpgsheep's sideboard of a similar deck where HE uses the Fleets, I added Penumbra Bobcat (another card that pisses off the Deed!).
I was also thinking about Wrath of God, it can't handle the Fleet OR the Bobcat. I'm packing enough countermagic to keep playing it and if not, I have three more in the deck.
I'm still in the play testing part of this Fleeting Image idea, so I'll let you know how it goes.
As for your trading them, didja get anything good for 'em?

I

Istanbul

Yellowjacket has the right of it. Image's chief strengths are:

1) Immunity to Wrath/Deed
2) Block-bounce
3) Opposition tricks

...in that order.

T

theorgg

Fleeting image is an unkillable 2/1 flyer for three. you must have two mana open to use his ability, but that isn't that big of a deal. Look at Teferi's honor guard. Solid, Sturdy and not flying, but flanking. similarities about, and I say the card has some real promise as a finisher due to it's difficulty in being killed-- screw the other tricks!

E

Ephrils

Maybe Darting Merfolk, but you get more power with the Image, at the cost of 1 to its bounce ability. Flying is not that big of a deal if the deck wants to lock out the opponent before attacking.

@

@rch Devil

When you think of it, it's the closest thing we have to blinking spirit and is good for all the same reasons. With 2 mana open it's INVINCIBLE (unless they play discard).

Z

Zadok001

"With 2 mana open it's INVINCIBLE (unless they play discard)."

Or two removal spells. :) The Fleeter isn't invincible. In fact, I rarely see him live to win a game. He dies all the time when I'm playing with him. I look at him more as a card advantage machine, whether blocking out an attacker and forcing two removal spells, attacking and forcing a block and a removal spell, or just sitting there controlling the board.

Look at it like this - It takes two removal spells to kill him. That's 2-1, and that's good. And he's a 2/1 creature, too. :)

I

Istanbul

One minor weakness: a blue mage need only wait for countermagic to stop your Image from ever coming back.