Fiery Gambit

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Fiery Gambit - 2R
Sorcery (R)
Flip a coin until you lose a flip or choose to stop flipping. If you lose a flip, Fiery Gambit has no effect. If you win onr or more flips, Fiery Gambit deals 3 damage to target creature. If you win two or more flips, Fiery Gambit deals 6 damage to all opponents. If you win three or more flips, draw nine cards and untap all lands you control.

For once in my life, I'm actually going to say that a coin-flipping card is good and that I wouldn't mind playing it. I know that the randomness of it sucks, but the fact that it has no penalties and that the "prize" gets add-ons for each win is amazing(it'd be even more amazing if you get to keep those prizes should you happen to lose one flip, but it's a flip card. It can't be excellent).

I'm not looking for strategies on this card, just giving R&D some props on making ahalf-way decent flip card.

Ransac, cpa trash man

R

Reverend Love

..isn't there some card that says if you win 10 coin flips you win the game...how about that a clown load of coin flipping cards?

There's a little strategy you weren't looking for.

T

train

That's a fine nod to casual play if I do say so myself...

Now flipping won't just involve Morph and opponents in Standard...

R

Rooser

I likey this card with Krark's Thumb. Darn near pro-tour worthy if you ask me. Your odds of pulling off something good become much better. I can't wait to draw my nine cards.

BTW: I'll do those of you who haven't seen the spoiler a favor and tell you what Krark's Thumb does. It works essentially, (but not exactly), like this.

Legendary Artifact - 2
Whenever you flip a coin, flip two coins and choose one instead.

T

train

I am seeing more of a nod to casual in this spoiler than in others... I really need to find that trojan WoTC installed on my communication devices and get it terminated.

K

Killerbob

I think this card sucks, like most flip cards. You have to win two out of two flips to get a decent card. Your chance of doing this is only 25%.

But Krarks thumb looks really fine. This is for flip decks what lord of atlantis is for merfolk.

But the strange thing is, that you dont doubble your chances of getting the right flip when you flip twice the number of coins. 50% and 50% isnt 100%, but only 75% (because you still have 25% chance of missing the right flip).

T

train

If you had a deck that won 75 % of it's games, would you not play it?...

That's going undefeated in match play right there...

R

Reverend Love

...maybe I'll build this deck.

x4 Chance Encounter
Whenever you win a coin flip, put a luck counter on ~this~. ; At the beginning of your upkeep, if ~this~ has ten or more luck counters on it, you win the game.
x4 Goblin Bomb

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may flip a coin. If you win the flip, put a fuse counter on ~this~. If you lose the flip, remove a fuse counter from ~this~. ; Remove five fuse counters from ~this~, Sacrifice ~this~: ~this~ deals 20 damage to target player
x4 Goblin Bookie (unglued)

1/1. ; {R},{Tap}: Reflip any coin just flipped or reroll any die just rolled and use this result instead. [D'Angelo 2000/03/09 - unofficial errata]
X4 Fiery Gambit

Flip a coin until you lose a flip or choose to stop flipping. If you lose a flip, Fiery Gambit has no effect. If you win onr or more flips, Fiery Gambit deals 3 damage to target creature. If you win two or more flips, Fiery Gambit deals 6 damage to all opponents. If you win three or more flips, draw nine cards and untap all lands you control
x4 Krark's Thumb

If you would flip a coin, instead flip 2 coins and ignore one
...eventually you'd win the game with 10 luck counters with this much coin flipping..probably sooner then later.

R

Rooser

Dude, you have to run Mana Clash in this deck, sir.

Also I'd like to nod to Frenetic Efreet for ALMOST being an infinte coin-flip combo all by itself, htough it's probably not quite worht playing here.

But then again...

T

train

Mana Clash would be a good thought...

What about Game of Chaos?...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't someone (I want to say KillerBob but not sure) post a coin-flipping deck in Decks fairly recently (as in the last 2-3 weeks)?

T

train

I did a search and didn't see any...

Maybe it was in another post...

My thought would've been Jigglypuff...

N

Nightstalkers

There are seven cards that are T2 legal at the moment (excluding Odyssey) and they are all red!

If I had the time, I would hunt them down and make myself a T2 deck just to showup everyone at my new haunt.

Tee hee, flip'em off with my coin flipping...

I'm too childish for my own good.

T

train

I think a coin flip winnning a 2 tourney would be a great nod to casual playing...

M

Mikeymike

I'll tell you, the first time I saw Fiery Gambit I nearly crapped myself. And then I say Krark's Thumb, and the song from the opening scene of '2001: A Space Odyssey' started playing in my head. You know:
Da...da..daaaaa............DA DUN!
BOOM BOOM, BOOM BOOM, BOOM BOOM, BOOM BOOM

I've had a R/u coin-flip deck built for about a year now, and its not half-bad. But man Fiery Gambit fixes so many issues in the deck for me it's not funny.

Now I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you were to Goblin Bookie one of the Krark's Thumb flips, you get an additional 2 - taking your total up to 4 for a single flip. That's a 93.75% chance for winning a given flip.

With Krark's Thumb out, that means that you have 2 flips of the Gambit at 75%, and 1 at 93.75% - giving you a 52.7% chance of winning all 3 flips outright. You'll be drawing 9 nine cards more than you'd expect.

And if you are drawing 9 cards and untapping your lands 50% of the time, Fiery Gambit borders on broken.

But my favorite part of this card: you don't need the 3rd flip for this to be extremely powerful. For 3 mana (and a Thumb/Bookie) you've got a very good chance of dealing 6 damage to every opponent. For 3 mana and a single card, you are reducing every opponent's standard life total by at least 30%.

Simply put, this is far and away the most powerful coin-flip card every printed.

M

Mikeymike

No not yet. I have a much older version kicking around here, but I've made a significant amount of chances since.

I'll post it tonight (Spidey, should I post it here or in the deck section?)

T

train

Hey Mike - Just realized - that we'd be neighbors in about 14 months...

well... I'll be in the Baltimore area... same difference...:D

It means faster trade shipments!...:D