Fess up!

Killer Joe

Even though we are part of CPA, some of us still have a craving for a little tourney action. Now fess up, are you one of those?....'cause I am.

Vote:
Is one a hypocrit if they post on a casual players message board even though they still play in tourneys?

1.) Yes

2.) No

3.) Don't you have something better to post?

Yellowjacket
I was curious.

C

ChasDen

Now this one I like :&gt ;)

I vote (2( – No you are not a hypocrite. Tournament play is only a controlled form of casual play. Most local shops that conduct arena leagues have a “rules guru” on hand and they will more often than not, keep things under control. I would suggest that anyone who has the opportunity to play in an arena league, DO SO… It can be a real blast if you go to have fun.

T

The Magic Jackal

Absoulutely not, If i didn't play in tournies, i couldn't pay for my magic cards. The prizes are too important. It takes money even to be a casual player.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with Chuck (though I'm not too sure about The Magic Jackal, I mean, he not only wins the tourneys he plays in but he supplements his income that way too! :D ). Tournament play is a great way to test your skill, and hanging around at tourneys is a good way to "pick up a game" and meet new players. Leagues are cool too, though I regret I've never had a chance to do the Arena thing, due to my work schedule. Once my kids are older I'll be able to change my schedule though, and then I'm hoping to give Arena a try.

TomB
CPA Member

T

The Magic Jackal

Of course the tounies are my only source of income. I'm only 15, I can't get a job. Most people don't want to hire a 15 year old.

Ferret

Staff member
I don't think it would make them a hypocrite. But, I think that question is too ambiguous.

For instance, long before I ever got a DCI number I would hold tourneys at my house every couple of months w/ my friends and we were all very casual players.

If someone were to go to a sanctionned event I still would consider them a Casual Player - unless I heard the words "mise", "tech", or "metagame" coming out of them - or if I recognised their deck from nearly every tourney report on The Dojo...

-ferret

"...it's all relative..."

T

theorgg

H'll no, you ain't a hypocrit.
I've got about 30-50 decks made at any one time, most made in theme of somthing or made in jest; about 25 of them are for fun and work well, and I play them the most often.

how many tournament-viable decks do I have?

about6-8. the decks that you spend months on trying to build and really spend money on.

that's it. not even 20% of my decks are tournament-calibre.

Hypocrit? there's only one person who could be a hypocrit if he came to this board:

Randy Bhuler

and only if he still still is on with WOTC.

"damn industrial snoops. ever wonder why there are usually six tourists at the white house who have their hands to there ears the whole time?
I think there damn commies."
-from some book selection out of a 11th grade book

D

Dune Echo

Hmm... I love making decks for all-commons tournies, but I never play anymore because of several bad experiences at my local shop. If Chuck's place wasn't so far away and I wasn't at school every Saturday, I'd go there every weekend for fun play, so unfortunately I can't.

However, if I could play, I would play in a tournament, especially an all commons. I'd like to see a tournament where they introduce made up cards like Mark Rosewater did in a tournament a while back. That would be fun and boy do I have some ideas.

No, one is not a hypocrite. Look at Anthony Alongi's Casual Fridays. His group has regular boost drafts. That's a tournament structure, but it's fun. It's all about fun. Being casual is all about not being a clone, playing for fun, and using the cards that don't usually get used or using the broken cards in a new way that isn't killer but certainly is unexpected.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Dune, you just sparked a great idea!

I just saw on MTGNews there's a program called MakeAppr. It lets you make Apprentice patches (card updates). See where I'm going? Make a patch with a bunch of new cards and run tourneys with them. ?? I think this could work, I just haven't downloaded tthe program yet, so I can't verify.

-mike

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'll say no also, for most of the reasons said above.

Perhaps another question needs to asked: When does a casual player become a not-casual player?

T

theorgg

When are you NOT casual? when you go to four states in a week going to tourneys. when you pay 60-80 dollars just to get into the tourney that is STANDARD and has two slots for the pro-tour.

If you go out of state very regularly to play and you live more than 30 miles from the state's boarder.

I once drove(actually was driven) from Brandon, MS. to Starkvill(about 150 miles) to take place in the Mississippi state championships(I was invited by the comic store that I played type I(missississippi style) at, there home office was there. it was a ruse, i found out, no invite required, but my mother saw the "official" invitation and allowed me to go.

mervlight. I took the guy beside me's advice and didn't play with either Crimson Hellkite or Catacomb dragon due to more than one colored in the CC. :{ ( arsehole...

am I casual? 'ell yes. I liked the fun of the tourney. it was my second sealed, but I had fun. I didn't do too bad, either...

:{ ) rambling...

oh, and as for the customized cards, it's time consuming, but I'm about to put southpark: the gathering into apprintice. the only weakness of the program is that you must have the program to patch apprintice...

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Actually, Orgg, about that last statement -- not true. You can just ZIP up some of the files and send them to people :)

-mike

M

Mr_Pestilence

I hope being a CPA member doesn't preclude me from playing in tournaments.

I like to play for fun, but I also have a competitive beast inside that has to be fed regularly.

---------------

T

theorgg

Ed- true, you can zip up the altered cardinfo.dat and tell them to replace their old one with it, but what happens when Nimisis comes out for Apprintice? the patched cards get erased.
If you have the program, you can then re-patch your custom made cards.
If you don't have them and the text,
you are the greek god of the sun.(SOL)

Ferret

Staff member
Pestilence! When did you get here? Been missing you...

Don't feel bad if you still want to play in tourney. We're more about the general 'attitude' of the game. It's okay to play w/ the big boys as long as you still know how to build decks that you play w/ your friends on those random nights where you care more about having fun and not so much about winning - of course, we all still want to win.

-ferret

"...you can be a pro - just try not to be a Pro"

M

Mr_Pestilence

Ferret:

Yellow Jacket invited me on mtgnews. Good to be here.

This website is pretty slick - good job!

I'm glad to see you're using TheDojo's old message board system (at least that's what it looks like). I don't know why they changed. I haven't been able to even see their boards for about a month, but that's OK because the last Dojo messaging boards I saw were terrible!

T

train

Hanging around The Mad Hatter - I'll never be a real tourney player.... But I'll always play in tourneys!!!