What is your favorite format??????

1. Extended

2. Type 2

3. Type 1

4. Block

5. I don't have a favorite format.

G

Gizmo

Extended at the moment. I would say that Block constructed is almost always better than the concurrent T2 format, Masques being a notable exception in my opinion. 1.5 Id never play cos I dont know what it is or anybody else who knows what it is.
But in the past extended has been a nightmare of combo decks.

As we move on through the sets Extended SHOULD remain my favourite format for a couple of years yet, at least until Tempest block rotates out.

D

Dementia

Gotta love Extended.

T1 is expensive to get into and T2 keeps changing, but Extended is reletivly cheap and the cards stick around longer. Plus, I just like the format better.....kinda like T1, but without the completly broken cards:)

L

Loonook

I love only extended and t-B (everything goes... its fun fun fun as long as you dont have someone who looks like a pimp because they have so much jewelry).

Extended is great because it has so many options... well... now. Lots of fun to come for Extended and I hope to see some creativity

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
You forgot to put Limited on the vote list. I would've voted for that.

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Loonook

Limited is the Devil!!! Evil Evil naughty Limited! Burn all boosters! Burn all boosters!

T

Turtlewax Joe

:) Extended simply because it has the most variety. eg:

T I decks:
Accelerated Blue
Sligh
Stompy

T II:
Rebles
Fires
Counter Djinn
Opposition
Burning Bridges

Now let's look at extended:

Extended:

Angry Hermit :)
Squirle Prison
Ponza :)
Sligh
Accelerated Blue
Counter
Stompy :)
Trinity Green
Metagame Green :)
Blue Control
U/W control
Pandaburst
Black Control(weak w/o Ritual)
any thing from T II
Powerful Rougues :)

As you can see Extended is simply the greatest ever though Replenish is gone :mad: (the biggest mistake the DCI has ever made :mad: ).

I HATE THE DCI AND I LOVE EXTENDED:mad: :D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

Gizmo

Interestingly Turtlewax manged to not list almost any good decks from extended there, just a bunch of crap.

The best extended decks are:
Oath
Donate
Turboland
White Weenie
Secret Force

Although if, as he wanted, Replenish was available, it would look more like this:
Replenish variant #1
Replenish variant #2
Replenish variant #3
Things with lots and lots of disenchants.

Im sorry, Replenish is one of the most abusable cards WotC have printed in a long while. I was very happy to see it go alongside Necro and Survival (as much as I love survival, its too strong in extended by a long way).

M

Mundungu

Why wasnt 1.5 listed as an option ???

Although I have to say extended is easily the best ....

T

Turtlewax Joe

Sorry that I for got oath
but donate sucks!

I thought i listed white weenie??! woops!

G

Gizmo

Donate certainly does NOT suck. It is really only scared of lifegain.

Z

Zadok001

And Disenchant/Seal of Cleansing, as per always. :)

Despite everything, Extended is by FAR my favorite format right now. Best decks be damned, there are actually VIABLE rouge alternitives for once!

G

Gizmo

No it almost always beats the decks that only have Disenchants/Seals. Lifegain is the #1 enemy by a long way.

I

Istanbul

I'm going with Type II. It forces you to stay on the ball, and watch out not only for the metagame, but for stuff built to beat the metagame. Its chief focus is on deck development.

I just want to say this opportunity that I HATE Oath. I hate Replenish and I hate Turboland and I HATE NETDECKS! :mad:

You realize, don't you, that you can almost recite the entire decklist (heck, many of you can take that 'almost' out of there) when you hear those names? That there's no creativity involved in making those decks at all, just copy the best thing you see from the net and play it?

I miss the glory days of Magic. I miss the days when, when you saw someone playing a deck, it only had whatever name THEY had given it, because you knew they had created it. And I don't mean that they'd taken a known deck, changed two cards, and called it their own...I mean the idea sprung forth from their own mind. If the deck was good, it was because they were good at building decks. There was no 'metagame', there was no 'tech', there were just people making good, fun decks.

I wish Magic had never found its way onto the Internet. Sad to say, this site too. I know, it's a stupid wish...and some say that if it hadn't happened on the net, people would have found other ways to spread 'tech' and crap like that. But really, Magic is at its most boring level these days; if you tell me the name of your deck, I can tell you what's in your library.

That's why I like Type II the most; sure, there are Name Decks, but the field is open for all sorts of other decks as well. 'Tech' is a day-by-day thing in Type II, and you never know when the next guy will come along with something that goes all the way. Combo kills are almost impossible, which means that you have to wrap your mind around concepts like 'synergy' and 'deckbuilding'. Concepts that today's beginning (or even intermediate, these days) Magic players don't worry about, because they don't have to. Go see what decks are good, copy them down, buy the cards, and play them. Ingenuity is frowned upon.

*sigh* Oh well. I rock in drafts because I have deckbuilding skills, where few of my opponents do...guess I should just stick to that format.

Rant mode off.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I know you're ranting, Isty, but face it, it's progress. While the rise of the Internet happened to combine with Magic, if it didn't, there probably would have been newsletters and whatnot. Not the same as "next-day" info, but you could probably get it in time for the next tourney.

It's the same as spoilers for Magic sets now; WOTC didn't out them out for a while but realized that the 'Net and pre-releases were making it obsolete. So they figured they might as well put out an official one.

It's like any other game that has aged: take chess with its myriad of opening strategies. Admittedly it's a "fixed position" game, but if you're serious about competing, you can't ignore reading about them and the defenses.

Or bridge, or blackjack, or anything to do with strategy (or how to minimize the random factor).

If a game lasts a while, people get behind the scenes and look to see what makes it tick.

You don't really see that with other early CCGs 'cause they didn't catch on enough (On The Edge, Wyvern, Rage). And I don't even see that with WOTC's other games, like Vampire, Netrunner, or Battletech.

Back to the bottom line: people like winning decks. And face it, it's only because you study other decks is why you know the decklists. If I was to go into a tourney tomorrow, I couldn't name what's in a Replenish or Oath or Turboland deck 'cause I didn't study for it. Is that good? Because I'm ignorant about what's in those decks and they're going to surprise me when I play them? 'Cause I'm basically at that level that you wish everyone was at... :)

I

Istanbul

My problem isn't with those who investigate what makes deck good. My problem is with those who shamelessly copy what's good without understanding WHY it's good.

My problem isn't even really with netdecks, I suppose. It's with the unoriginal snotlings that think that winning is everything, and it's not worth the trouble to understand the concepts of deck design, so they're better off just copying the pros like mindless drones.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that's true. Unfortunately, you get such "snotlings" in any case of society, crime and the lure of "easy money" being a big one :)