Fake: Obsidian Golem, too vanilla?

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
D

DarthFerret

I think the cost is a little too low for all the continous abilities that it does. Also, if you want to keep the cost low, may insert "creatures controller may pay 2 to untap a creature on his/her upkeep phase."

That would make the cost of the card a little lower, but would really mana screw a weenie deck...lol.

F

Force of Will Smith

hmm.. only problem is... that would give infinite mana to an elf deck within the first 3 turns.. but i see what youre saying about cost.

so hes a meekstone+cursed totem+null rod...
or a meekstone+ the mirrodin replacement for both totem and null rod..

meekstone is 1 and the other is 3..

i could make him cost 2, and make you discard 2-3 cards as part of his casting cost... that would make him an early game threat and playable.. but if you assumed wrong.. you get punched in the face..

so 4 for what he does if hes a 2/2
or 2 for what he does if hes a 4/4 with pitching 3 cards upon casting..
or maybe i could make him cost 1 less for each untapped land you sacrifice upon casting him.. and make him 4...

that way you could pay 2, sac 2 other lands.. or if you REALLY need him out..
sac 4 untapped lands and play him for free..
i found i dont like the 2/2... possibly 2/3 or 2/4 but 2/2 is too fragile for blowing up lands in the cost.

(A)Obsidian Golem 4/4 4 Artifact Golem

As an additional cost to play Obsidian Golem, you
may sacrifice up to four untapped lands. For each land
you sacrifice, Obsidian Golem costs 1 less.
1 less for each untapped land

Activated abilites of creatures and artifacts may not be played.
Creatures with power 3 or greater do not untap during their controller's untap phase.
---------------
(B) Obsidian Golem 1/4 2 Artifact Golem
As an additional cost to play Obsidian Golem, discard
three cards from your hand.

Creatures with power 3 or greater do not untap during their controller's untap phase.
--------------------
(C) Obsidian Golem 1/3 2 Artifact Golem
As an additional cost to play Obsidian Golem, sacrifice
all creatures you control with power 3 or greater.

here are some ideas..

F

Force of Will Smith

Ok. but which do you think i should use... ill mark them with A.B.C...etc..

D

DarthFerret

I like the first one....(choice A). I like the fact that it is a 4/4. Makes it a little more devestating, although if this is in a deck you will probably not use it to attack with.

Just wanted to let you know, I found a really good card editor that you can download for free. The Veil of the Dragon I posted in the other thread, was made with that and it only took me about 1 minute to do it. (once i figured out how the editor worked..lol)

F

Force of Will Smith

yea its the magic set editor.. it works ok.. the blank cards are pretty low quality.. its good for mapping out ideas though..

how'd you get the 5: on it? {5}?

D

DarthFerret

on the editor...just put <5> and it puts the symbol on it for you.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
For A, I think the initial cc is still too cheap for its power. There is almost no creature in Magic where it's cc is equal or less to it's p/t without any drawbacks, and the Golem doesn't have any. Obsianus Golem is 6 for a 4/6 vanilla, which I guess equals a 5/5 when evening out the p/t. Since the Obsidian Golem has two abilities, I would cost him at a minimum of 6, probably 7. Not really sure how the sac lands would affect his cc though.

F

Force of Will Smith

if i do that then i would have no restriction on the tapped or untapped... that way you could
pay 2, sac 4
pay 3, sac 3
pay 4, sac 2
pay 5, sac 1

hes customizable :D

ill price him at 6.

D

DarthFerret

customizable? Does he come with a leather interior and a sun-roof? <grin>

F

Force of Will Smith

actually the sun-roof is plexiglass and the cupholders double as flamethrowers.

D

DarthFerret

LOL....it has been a very long time since I have seen any MechWarriors.