Fake Card: Tidal Strike, arcane blue creature damage!!

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
F

Force of Will Smith

i think it might be a tiny bit cheesy.. but with black having direct damage and green and red having rituals.. i think it might just balance..

Attachments

F

Force of Will Smith

:D damn... how much do you think it would have to cost to be balanced?

I fixed mine to cost 3U witha splice of 2U..
that any better?

Attachments

L

Limited

I just don't think it something that belongs on a blue card, so I'm not going to able to help you with cc issues.. but it should expensive. Think like this

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Has anyone ever actually seen someone use Unyaro Bee Sting in constructed? Making cards so bad that no one will use them is no fun at all...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe it gets used in a Limited format though (another example of our discussion from the Magic Issues thread :) )

But I agree, if it's in a color that normally doesn't have that color pie ability, it should cost a lot more than if it was in a color that normally had that ability.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
But I agree, if it's in a color that normally doesn't have that color pie ability, it should cost a lot more than if it was in a color that normally had that ability.
Totally. But if a card is so weak that no one will use it, there's not much of a point...

Maybe it gets used in a Limited format though (another example of our discussion from the Magic Issues thread
Yeah, that was why I specified "constructed." One problem with cards that are only useful in limited formats is that after a while, the set it's in doesn't see any limited play. The card becomes completely worthless--unless people do limited formats with repacks, but no one seems to really like that (I do--the one time a playgroup I was in did it, we had great fun).

L

Limited

I am thinking it just shouldn't be. Sorry, the color pie has settled in my brain..

E

evan d

If it does excist, and I think it shouldn't, It should cost 2U and no splice.

As it is with splice and I think peer through depths, it basicly reads, "pay 1UU, deal two damage to target ceature." Not blue!

I

Istanbul

This card simply should not exist. Blue has enough tricks without getting into direct damage. Hell, Psionic Blast gets played in Vintage, and it hits you back.

F

Force of Will Smith

actually evan it would cost 2UU to do it.. but yeah there are a lot of cheap blue arcane spells... probably cheaper than any other..

Istanbul: i guess i could make a damage exchange ratio equal to psionic blast with a similar casting cost.. that way splicing wouldnt really be a good idea lots of the time..

ok this way its base cost is 1 more than psionic... but the splice is the same... plus psionic can hit any target.. not just creatures..

so in comparison to psionic it has:
1 bonus: splicable
2 detriments: costs 1 more, can't hit creatures.

the only thing i can possibly see about making it more balanced is making the base price cost 1 more.. so youd have to splice it to benefit..

Attachments

D

DarthFerret

Just thought I would point out a card that many people forget was in the original cast of the game. Psionic Blast (yes, I love this card and have a couple of them too!) Blue did have direct damage, and yes, there was a drawback, but it was well worth it!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
Blue did have direct damage, and yes, there was a drawback, but it was well worth it!
It's still well-worth it. I don't know about being used recently in Vintage games (most decks can run multiple colors and use red damage instead, but it wouldn't surprise me) but it sure is great in casual games, not that I have Psionic Blast, but I've been hit by it...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
But if a card is so weak that no one will use it, there's not much of a point...
Perhaps at that point, the card shouldn't be in the color then at all...

DarthFerret said:
Blue did have direct damage, and yes, there was a drawback, but it was well worth it!
That was before the color pie was defined... you don't see blue with direct damage anymore! :) I'm sure that's on purpose too...

I

Istanbul

Psionic Blast was taken OUT of blue after Unlimited because it was so far out of flavor for blue.

Seriously, man. You don't print "2W: Destroy target nonblack creature. It can't be regenerated." or "XG, remove X cards from your graveyard from the game, pay X life: Draw X cards".

This card CAN NOT BE SAVED.

E

evan d

This card reminds me of the horror that was the pokemon card a while ago. It makes me want to burn it just so that it will never see play.

Tidal strike as a name reminds of choatic strike, a combat trick, so in order to save the card and art, which go together well, see if it could be like "1U target creature gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is what ever number you card designers choose" I did simply becuase the card name and art go so well together.

F

Force of Will Smith

come again??

i dunno though.. thats blue enhancement.. they happens very seldom... unstable mutation and cunning are pretty much it...

blue at least had psychic purge, psionic blast, and tims..

D

DarthFerret

Thank you FoWS. Also, if you want an example of a white creature killer....how about Swords to Plowshares?

I do not think it is a bad thing to cross colors OCCASIONALLY. Green had a counterspell (so did red if you count the red elemental blast). Black can counter Green spells and vice-versa. White is not the only color that can give protection. In fact, I believe there are a couple of Black cards that give life to a player. It does happen, albiet rarely, and I do not think that this card should be above (or below) consideration.