Fake Card: Fetid Bloom, Universal mana acceleration... for a price

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
F

Force of Will Smith

I love the artwork... and i think its a VERY restrictive card... so if you want 10 black mana.. you lose your hand.. you can only cast one spell, and you lose 10 life..

Attachments

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It looks like you've managed to pile enough drawbacks onto this sucker to make almost any player shy away from it. It costs 1BB to play. Its ability gives you BB, which is great, but at the cost of 2 life and a random card from your hand for each use. Your opponents can use it too, if they want. And you can only play one spell per turn. This almost looks like something you might Donate...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
Thus, it seems okay ;)
Thus? Well, to me it seems like something I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. I can see how someone might disagree, since bursts of mana help you to win, but this thing seems to have enough drawbacks to make those bursts of mana entirely unattractive options...

F

Force of Will Smith

hmm... what do you think i should do to make it playable?

thing is... it could be like this...

lets say you drew first

turn 1, swamp, ritual, bloom...
actually come to think of it... if you had a major game changing spell you wanted to play... you probably couldnt.. as it would be discarded... i was trying to make it so you could toss this out... then essentially pay half your life for 10 or so mana...
but that's under ideal circumstances...

motion to move it to B and make the discarding not random? But maybe the cards should be removed from the game. *EDIT* doesnt look good stretching the cost across 2/3 lines of text... discard it is.. no removing

that way you could technically have 8 cards... play a swamp, 7, play this 6.. and
discard 4 cards to add 8... and play your 8cc spell while paying 8 life..

L

Limited

You should make the random discard into remove from the game.. like cadaverous bloom.

L

Limited

This I like.. it seems to be very abusable, but it's not broken.

D

DarthFerret

Looks good to me....sorry I have not been helping you much....new job is very greuling...

"Want to buy a new car?" <Grin>

F

Force of Will Smith

it's all good.. any bit helps..

I'm going to try out my half german/ half fake deck sometime this week... people have seen the fakes and have agreed to allow

2 hunt and peck
2 abandonment
2 Shadowbolt
2 Shadow Drake
2 Lost Horror (the new weakened one)
2 Isawa's Scrolls
2 Urborg Entity

its going to be amazing!!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
Thus? Well, to me it seems like something I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. I can see how someone might disagree, since bursts of mana help you to win, but this thing seems to have enough drawbacks to make those bursts of mana entirely unattractive options...
I was speaking with tongue-in-cheek; hence the smilie. I was noting that because it had so many drawbacks, it would be okay to "print", but not guaranteeing that it would actually be played...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
I was speaking with tongue-in-cheek; hence the smilie. I was noting that because it had so many drawbacks, it would be okay to "print", but not guaranteeing that it would actually be played...
Like Wintermoon Mesa? Players seem to strongly dislike such useless cards (probably because they buy booster packs).

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Someone would undoubtable try to "get" the card to work somehow, viewing it as a challenge... like Sorrow's Path.

D

DarthFerret

Spiderman said:
Someone would undoubtable try to "get" the card to work somehow, viewing it as a challenge... like Sorrow's Path.

You mean like my "deckbuilding contests" in the other forum?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yes ;), although your contests are not strictly trying to use "bad cards" in general, but seem to be more of a way to use a card you have in a deck already.

D

DarthFerret

Not all of them. I tend to make fairly unorthodox decks, so now I am more or less trying to get ideas by throwing cards out there that have no "real good" play value normally, just to see what anyone can come up with. I am also trying to use cards that have interesting effects. (No, I will not make a contest with a Pearled Unicorn as the card involved....LOL) Someone challanged me to make a deck that worked revolving around Power Surge. I ended up with a very good deck. Same thing with Manabarbs. This is kind of what I am doing now, for myself and for anyone else that figures something out that would not normally be thought of...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe they've been around for a while, but I don't think of Power Surge or Manabarbs (which I also built a deck around :) ) as terrible cards. I think a great tourney deck came out of them way back in the day using Calendebra(sp?) of Tawnos...

There's SOOO many cards that are probably underused in a casual setting though... so keep it up! :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Candelabra of Tawnos is so cool. If I had a couple of those, I'd definitely build a Power Surge deck, but last time I saw one for sale it was like $30 and that was a while ago...

D

DarthFerret

Don't worry Spiderman, I will definately keep doing the Deck Contest Thing. Most of the time I am putting up cards that I have, and want to use, but every now and then I put one up that I think is neat, and wish I had....(like shahrazad....wish I had that one again!)

I never had a Candelabra, but like Oversoul there, I wish I did.