Fake Card: Devour, Green/creature killer

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
F

Force of Will Smith

i love the art... the card description just came to me..

it was originally going to be... destroy target nonblack creature.. if the creature destroyed was green, return this to your hand..

Attachments

D

DarthFerret

hmm. Not too sure on this one. A free terror vs. green. That could get really ugly.

F

Force of Will Smith

black hates green though..
i could make it cost 2 less.... they have massacre... a free 4cc spell.. against white.

here's some example of some green hate...

Bereavement, 1B (7th Edition Uncommon)
Enchantment Whenever a green creature is put into a graveyard from play, its controller discards a card from his or her hand.

Deathgrip, BB (5th Edition Uncommon)
Enchantment BB: Counter target green spell. Play this ability as an interrupt.

Irini Sengir, 2BB (Homelands Uncommon) Summon - Legend [2/2]
White enchantments and green enchantments each cost an additional 2 to cast.

Leshrac's Sigil, BB (Ice Age Uncommon) Enchantment
BB: When any opponent successfully casts a green spell, look at that player's hand and choose a card; he or she then discards that card. Use this ability only once each time a green spell is cast.
BB: Return Leshrac's Sigil to owner's hand.

Nature's Ruin, 2B (Portal Uncommon)
Sorcery Destroy all green creatures. (This includes your green creatures.)

Perish, 2B (Classic 6th Edition Uncommon)
Sorcery Destroy all green creatures. They can't be regenerated.

Slay, 2B (8th Edition Uncommon) Instant
Destroy target green creature. It can't be regenerated. Draw a card.

heres another color it hates.. white

Dread of Night, B (Classic 6th Edition Uncommon)
Enchantment White creatures get -1/-1.

Execute, 2B (8th Edition Uncommon)
Instant Destroy target white creature. It can't be regenerated.
Draw a card.

if you'll notice... execute and slay have the same costs and correspond to both white and green.. making them equally hated..

Gloom, 2B (5th Edition Uncommon)
Enchantment
White spells cost an additional 3 to play. Activated abilities of white enchantments cost an additional 3 to play.

Jovial Evil, 2B (Legends Rare)
Sorcery Jovial Evil does 2 damage to opponent for each white creature he or she controls.

for 3: deal 10 damage to a white weenie player... although legends power.. it still illustrates it.

Soul Rend, 1B (Mirage Uncommon)
Instant Bury target creature if it is white.
Draw a card at the beginning of the next turn's upkeep.

Virtue's Ruin, 2B (Portal Uncommon)
Sorcery
Destroy all white creatures. (This includes your white creatures.)

again just like natures ruin.. same cost and everything... notice how most anti green cards are usually anti white as well... the paladins east and west have the same cost as well..

Tourach's Chant, 1BB (Fallen Empires Uncommon)
Enchantment
During your upkeep, pay B or bury Tourach's Chant.
Whenever a player puts a forest into play, Tourach's Chant deals 3 damage to him or her unless that player puts a -1/-1 counter on a target creature he or she controls.

for only 3, for every forest an opponent plays, they lose a weenie elf, or take 3...

heres my biggest argument for the free cost..

Deepwood Legate, 3B (Mercadian Masques Uncommon)
Creature - Shade [1/1]
If an opponent controls a forest and you control a swamp, you may play Deepwood Legate without paying its mana cost.
B: Deepwood Legate gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

you get the equivalent of a looming shade... which costs 2B.. for free
dark banisihing also costs 2B.. and does the same...
eh? whattaya think?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I never thought I would see Irini Sengir's name anywhere on these forums unless it was referring to how bad she is...

D

DarthFerret

LOL Oversoul, I had her in one deck, but she still sucked. (A sengir deck that had ALL of the named sengir's....)

I guess you have a point. Still not entirely sure though. Probably another one I would have to play with to get a good feel for.

F

Force of Will Smith

also many of the best green creatures can regenerate.. this doesnt stop that..

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. I'm also a bit leery of having a free spell just because of the colors involved and not permanents on the board.

L

Limited

I don't think you should be able to destroy a black creature with it.
Next, i think it would be too good if it were free, but you could make it cost life instead of mana.
"Destroy target nonblack creature. If you target a green creature, you may pay 2 life instead of paying Devour's mana cost."

F

Force of Will Smith

ill add the tagline that deepwood legate has.. where they have to control a forest and you a swamp.

D

DarthFerret

That should clear it all up right there then.

Checking System Integrity........... Balance Restored.

F

Force of Will Smith

its gonna look pretty funny though..

Destroy target creature. If you control a swamp and an opponent controls a forest and the creature is green, you may play Devour for free.

doesnt that seem a little wordy?

D

DarthFerret

Maybe the way it is written..

How about this

Destroy target non-artifact creature.

If you control a swamp and an opponent controls a forest you may play this card for free. Target only green creatures in this way.

F

Force of Will Smith

but you make it sound like it cant be cast unless theyre green.

hmm.. maybe a happy medium..

Destroy target non-artifact creature.
If you control a swamp and an opponent controls a forest, you may play this card without paying its casting cost. Devour may only be cast for free if the creature being targeted is green.

?

nono wait.. ill just change what i had...

Destroy target creature. If you control a swamp, an opponent controls a forest, and the creature is green, you may play Devour for free.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sounds good, it won't bury the creature like Dark Banishing would (I know, they don't use that term anymore). But it is potentially very good against green, which makes up for it...

F

Force of Will Smith

the final wording is...

Destroy target creature. If you control a swamp, an opponent controls a forest, and the creature being targeted is green, you may play Devour without paying its casting cost.