Fake Card: Befuddle (Blue's ULTIMATE counterspell)

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
F

Force of Will Smith

This is card is pretty versatile. But i really wanted to price it at 1U or even UU.

the idea is, if an opponent chooses to attack you with a creature, you play it, they cant attack with that this turn, (twiddle)

if they remove jitte counters to kill your creature, you basically do an "interdict" until end of turn.

Likewise if you tap too much mana or if you mess up and play something that was a bad idea, you can take it back..

Also if you chose to attack and in response they "destroy target attacking creature, you can either make them choose another target or possibly take back your attack.

It also has some ridiculously powerful side effects...
It wrecks tooth and nail, cranial extraction, and even cards like persecute.
Ill choose blue.... nope.. cant choose blue now... hmm... i guess red :D

You can also do some insane responding...

opponent: ill tap my kiki jiki to make a token of target creature...
you: ok well just choose one other than that only creature you got in play...

any thoughts?

Attachments

J

Jigglypuff

Say I play a Giant Growth with only one legal target and only one green mana source in play. GG goes on the stack. By 409.1g, I then play the mana ability of a Forest to satisfy GG's cost. I pass to you and you then play Befuddle targeting me. We both pass and Befuddle resolves. Now what do I do?

A) If Befuddle sees that the last action I took was to play the mana ability of a Forest, then I have to rewind to right before I played the mana ability. Because of Befuddle's text, I cannot play the mana ability of the Forest that I just tapped. Therefore, I cannot complete all the steps required by 409. By 422, I must now reverse the entire action of playing the GG. I then end up with the GG back in my hand and your Befuddle is now gone.

B) On the other hand, though, if the Befuddle sees that the last action I took was to place the GG on the stack, then I must rewind all the way back to the point before that. Then, by Befuddle's text I am both required to attempt to play the GG again and I now cannot choose a legal target. By 422, I must now reverse the entire action of playing the GG. I then end up with the GG back in my hand and your Befuddle is now gone.

Now, onto Kiki-Jiki. Say I want to play Kiki-Jiki's ability with one legal target in play. I follow all the steps required by 409 and then the KJ's ability goes onto the stack. I pass and then you play Befuddle targeting me. We both pass and Befuddle resolves. Then we end up in the same situation as B above.

What happens, though, if you play Befuddle targeting me after KJ's ability resolves? Do I rewind back to right before KJ's ability is about to resolve? Then I have to make any choices called for during resolution, but in this case I wasn't asked to make any choices. Wouldn't I then get the token as normal?

(- Steve -)

F

Force of Will Smith

Jigglypuff said:
Say I play a Giant Growth with only one legal target and only one green mana source in play. GG goes on the stack. By 409.1g, I then play the mana ability of a Forest to satisfy GG's cost. I pass to you and you then play Befuddle targeting me. We both pass and Befuddle resolves. Now what do I do?
According to my original plan, the choice you made was targeting your creature, you just have to target another creature. Since you can't, you're GG is effectively countered since its an until end of turn effect.

Its whichever action i choose. If i chose to not allow you to use that forest, then you couldnt cast giant growth that turn if you only had one forest. It would function kind of like a twiddle, only a twiddle that could counter mana sources.

Jigglypuff said:
Now, onto Kiki-Jiki. Say I want to play Kiki-Jiki's ability with one legal target in play. then the KJ's ability goes onto the stack. then you play Befuddle targeting me. Befuddle resolves.
if you want to play his ability and you attempt to put it on the stack, i "target" the act of you tapping him, or targeting a creature.

This is how i imagine it would turn out if I chose either.

You tap him to target the creature
I befuddle the targeting of that particular creature.
If that is the only creature in play that you wished to target, then you have to wait until next turn.
You tap him to target the creature
I befuddle the activated ability, it rewinds to before you tapped him.
Seeing as how you can't make the same "choice", (which i declared as you
using his activated ability) then he can't use that same activated ability until your next turn.

Jigglypuff said:
What happens, though, if you play Befuddle targeting me after KJ's ability resolves?

Do I rewind back to right before KJ's ability is about to resolve? Then I have to make any choices called for during resolution, but in this case I wasn't asked to make any choices. Wouldn't I then get the token as normal?
KJ's ability wouldnt resolve.

You would rewind right before it resolved but depending on what i "chose" different outcomes would occur. At this point, if i chose the targeting of another creature, you could do it, because that choice didnt actually happen yet.. If i chose the activated ability, he'd be stuck.

If you attempt to target a creature with kiki, i befuddle that "choice". From that point you cannot choose the same creature.

If for example i befuddled you using the activated ability, then you wouldnt be able to use his ability until next turn.

this is how it might play out

attacking:

you declare 2 attackers, a scryb sprite and a darksteel colossus.
This is where befuddle would mainly be used as a twiddle effect for one creature. Declaring all attackers may be in a single step, but the choice goes from one to another.

casting a spell:
Opponent casts a spell. I counter it, then realized its really not a good idea for me to do so. I befuddle my counterspell.
If i choose to befuddle the mana i tapped, then my pool is empty and i cant use those two lands. If i chose not to target your spell with my counterspell, i'd need to find a spell on the stack to target, otherwise it would fizzle. If i chose to undo the idea of casting the spell, before declaring a target, then i'd have my counterspell in hand, and UU in my pool. I would be at this point forbidden to cast counterspell until my next turn.

Likewise, I can "choose" not to play echo. I can choose to not pay additional costs to a spell, and this would make cards with additional costs, sometimes countered (like char). That is of course unless you were to somehow pay with different life. If i befuddle a dredge, they would have to choose new targets, which wouldnt make any sense since they were only bringing back that particular card. Cycling as well.

For any spell however, if i chose to befuddle the choice of casting that particular spell, it functions much like a remand.

targeting a player/creature:

If you cast say a stone rain, you can simply hit another land, with terror another creature. If you target a player, you have to target another player, assuming i was countering the targeting and not the effects or damage of the spell. If someone casts a spell with a variable cost, like X, they would have to pick a different number. If someone goes to equip a creature, you can halt that for a turn.

J

Jigglypuff

Force of Will Smith said:
According to my original plan, the choice you made was targeting your creature, you just have to target another creature. Since you can't, you're GG is effectively countered since its an until end of turn effect.
But that's not what your card says to do. It says to "Undo the last action" I took. My last action was to announce the GG. Therefore, I have to rewind back to right before I announced the GG. Then, does Befuddle force me to re-do the annoucement of the GG? If so, I won't be able to complete all the steps in 409 and then by 422, I have to rewind back to before I attempted to announce the GG.

Force of Will Smith said:
Its whichever action i choose. If i chose to not allow you to use that forest, then you couldnt cast giant growth that turn if you only had one forest. It would function kind of like a twiddle, only a twiddle that could counter mana sources.
But again, that's not what your card says to do. There can only be one "last action" that I took. Either the last action I took was to announce the GG or it was to play the mana ability of the forest. Which is it?

(- Steve -)

F

Force of Will Smith

hmm ok, well then. I should change it. The developmental process was pretty crazy and it went through a few different wordings.