Extended Blue (yes Train, blue)

H

Homestar

Well, the subject tells itself, im lookin for a good Extended, eh, i guess u could call it Blue Control.Ah screw it, just gimme a good extended blue deck or some good extended blue cards.

Thanks in advance,
Homie

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Extended is a silly format now that they have the new Type 1.5! Wow, they need to name that format already...

Anyway, I would imagine that blue control could do well in Extended, since EVERYTHING that threatens it is banned...

I could give you a decklist, but I'm not sure what to use for a card-drawing engine. What's still legal in this format? Thieving Magpie, I suppose could work...

The kill would probably be Morplhing though...

Blue control is expensive to do the right way...

H

Homestar

i have really been favoring Rhystic Study for card draw, it works very good. and i dont think i copuld get my hands on a morphling but i will try.i also like AEther Barrier.

And if you could, just give me a half completed decklist or a list of cards i should considere or something.

Killer Joe

Pure Blue Control
4x Counterspell
4x Mana Leak
4x Rewind
4x Boomerang
4x Repulse
4x Fact or Fiction
4x Accumulated Knowledge
4x Oblivion Stone
4x Bottle Gnomes

4x Faerie Conclave
4x Remote Isle
16x Island

This is a start. You can tweak from here.

H

Homestar

Counterspell x4
Mana Leak x4
Rewind x4
Echoing Truth x4
Boomerang x4
Fact Or Fiction x2 (thats all i have at the moment)
Rhystic Study x4
Aether Barrier x4
Mahamoti Djinn x2
Bottle Gnomes x4

Faerie Conclave x4
Island x20

Does that look good?

T

train

I really hate doing this... but if you have to play blue - skip the boomerangs and go with capsizes...

It also wouldn't hurt - if you're going to have so many cheap counters - to throw in an isochron scepter...

:rolleyes:

E

Exaulted_Leader

Maybe Clones?

They're an elegant solution to someone who thinks they'll overwhelm you with big nasties.

Mindslaver! I don't there's a control deck in existence that should be without at least one of these.

T

train

Mindslaver is something I missed - but you also want to have the "excess mana" to get it going and quickly...

Sometimes there just isn't enough room for the Slaver... Clones are a good creature option, especially if they can target the fatties...

i still have ot go with capsize and I-scepter as "for sure" card though...

H

Homestar

well i managaed to pick up 2 morphlings for 50 bucks, the owner gave me a package. i alreafdy have 1 mindslaver and 4 isochron scepter.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Wow, you've got Morphlings now?

Okay, we can definitely make this work. What else do you have?

I would try this using four Ophidians and four Nevinyrral's Disks, unless you want to keep it Extended legal...

You probably don't have Force of Will and it's very hard to get, so I'll just skip that...

But other countermagic should be pretty heavy. Counterspell to begin with. What else can you do for countermagic?

T

train

Homestar seems to come up with what's really necessary pretty quick...

All the better for him....

E

Exaulted_Leader

Oversoul: You don't think MS is a good card? Or you just don't like it / think it's too potent?

I'm a little undecided on my personal thoughts about MS presently. I mean, the effect is awesome - but the mana cost is high, you can't have more than one slaver out at a time, and the MS itself isn't a victory condition.

Why don't you like it, just out of curiousity?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
My first qualm with Mindslaver is that it is a bad idea overall. It is an idea, much along the lines of the indestructable mechanic, that probably appeals to children very much. For years, stupid kids made their own cards that would say something like "this creature can't die." But when something like that ends up on real cards, it's an entirely different matter...

Mindslaver has that same feel to it. Being able to control your opponent is, I believe, a horrible idea to put in a CCG.

My second qualm with Mindslaver is that WotC knew or should have known what they were doing. They already printed Word of Command over a decade back. It proved to be a bad idea. Of course, they have a habit of repeating mistakes, so that's no surprise...

My third qualm with Mindslaver is that it hoses good cards. Necropotence, for example. Um, you pay all your life. Oops, you lose. Wow, that was fun...

But against nothing in particular, it's a ten-mana Time Walk, as it has been called before.

My fourth qualm with Mindslaver is Goblin Welder. Seriously, it's not fun to play against. And I'm a fan of prison decks. Slavery isn't the same as prison...

I think that covers why I don't like Mindslaver. As to how good it is...

Well, it's generally more of a question of how good cards like Workshop, Welder, and Mana Drain are. Those are the cards that enable it. But Slavery decks are doing pretty well in tournaments, so that means the card isn't crap, to say the least...

H

Homestar

:D so should i play soething liek this:

Counterspell x4
Mana Leak x4
Rewind x4
Echoing Truth x4
Capsize x2
Fact Or Fiction x4
Accumulated Knowledge x4
Cognivore
Morphling x2
I-Scepter x3
Mahamoti Djinn x2
Clone x3

Faerie Conclave x4
Remote Isle x4
Island x16

Theres my deck so far

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
24 lands is plenty for a two-color control deck. I might cut it down to 22, actually...

Why the Clones?

I'm also not sure about AK without Intuition...

H

Homestar

Mana Leak x4
Counterspell x4
Rewind x4
Discombobulate x2
Echoing Truth x4
Aether Burst x4 (love em')
Fact Or Fiction x4
Accumulated Knowledge x4
Cognivore
Morphling x2