Expansion

I

Ishans Shade

Hey people, do you think we should expand our horizons? In other words. Do you think we should stick with just magic, or should we post stuff about other cards games too? I'm aware that this could be a bad thing, what with all the 6-year olds that play Pokemon, but what if you wanted to post something about the Star Trek CCG, or either of the two Star Wars CCG's that decipher makes?

Vote to either(?) STICK to magic, or EXPAND and let other games in. Please let me get more that 8 votes this time, it's important.

Swelling to much going to blow.

D

Dune Echo

Negative. Keep it Magic. Not to insult anyone else or anything, but look at the Dojo, Brain Burst, and MTG News. They're all branching out. Pokemon is invading everything. Also, it's hard enough to write articles for one game on a regular basis. Do we really want to have our people wading through articles on other things? So far, I haven't noticed a big desire for this place to include other games. Sure we'll welcome anyone, but I don't feel a need to support all these other games when we're primarily a Magic group. Feature articles would be fine. I just don't think we should try to mix a bunch of stuff together in an effort to fill space. Think about what it's like when you peruse a magazine. Don't you skip all the boring article titles and stuff that just generally doesn't appeal to you?

Also, I think we should really work on putting up a lot of strong articles on stuff that will make people want to react. Waylay was great at first for making people talk and examine the ramifications of a SINGLE CARD! Who didn't have an opinion one way or another about that? In addition, the articles on trading by Waubers (I think that's who it was) are great because everyone can relate, no matter the game, age, or experience. This is the direction I think we should take.

------------------
Dune Echo

... Just kidding about the blood pressure, Ferret... Mystic Remora is going in every blue deck I play from now on! Unfortunately, I hate blue...

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
I have to agree with Dune here.

Just look at "Top Deck." That magizine is virtually useless to a non-Magic AND Pokemon player. 20 pages of Magic is not worth $5 for a mag.

And I don't know how many of us could write suitable, casual articles on a game other than Magic. I sure as hell can't write one on Young Jedi.

So nay. Oh, and BTW, someone else already brought this up a long time ago. It was voted down big time.

-mike

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Ed, that was me

I still think we could link a section off the main page for articles on other games, but I agree with the group that Magic needs to be our 1st concern, and that if we were to add anything about other games it wouldn't happen until later. Doubtless by then we'll either have no interest for the idea, or we'll have capable people interested in writing some articles. Either way, I don't think it'll be an issue for a while yet.

TomB
CPA Member

"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor

I

Ishans Shade

I figured this is the way the vote was going to head, but when I asked the question I thought that with any new games comes new members, and with new members comes new people to write articles for those games. That way people like Ed wouldn't need to type articles for Young Jedi. But upon a second thought, I would probally be mean to the Poke-brats.

Oh, TomB is that a STICK, or an EXPAND vote on your part?

Looking for new ways to kill Pickachu...
Ishan's Shade

Ferret

Staff member
I vote stick w/ just Magic. I'm saying this mostly from an egocentric POV. I've played lots of CCG's and have always come back to Magic. Even though "Pokemon Fever" is spreading across the country I believe it'll pass in a while - it'll still be big in Asia, but Americans have such short attention spans - especialy the demographic that Pokemon is aimed at.

We were founded to try to improve Magic - I think we should keep our focus there.

-ferret

"...unless we want to expand to Playstation games...
"

L

Leshrac

As the creator of one of the most popular places to trade Magic cards on the 'Net (only truly rivaled by the newsgroups), I would have to attribute much of my site's success to keeping focused on Magic. While it's true that the Magic Online Trading League ( http://www.magictraders.com ) does now have a forum for trading cards from other CCGs, it doesn't get nearly as many posts as does the Magic-only trading board. Staying focused is important, and since you were founded to give casual Magic players a voice, I think it's in your best interest to stay Magic-only.

Leshrac
leshrac@magictraders.com
Founder, Owner - Magic Online Trading League (MOTL)
http://www.magictraders.com
MOTL Bulletin Board: http://www.magictraders.com/cgi-bin/ubb/Ultimate.cgi

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Ishans, my vote is to stick with Magic only for now, and once we're established we'll see about expansion. I agree with you about more games bringing in more members, but we should wait until we see just how many new members come on board after the website is up and been running for a while. Hopefully this thing will get so big we won't have room for anything else.

Oh, and be nice to those Poke-brats. I'm currently parenting 2 of them! And you should know you don't kill the Pokemon. They "faint" when you defeat them!

TomB
CPA Member

"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor

I

Ishans Shade

OK, I guess that's a no on the expansion buisness.

TomB-Oh alright, I'll be nice to the Poke-brats, but only cause you asked nicely. I don't care if defeated Pokemon cards blow up or if the dance around in wild circles. I still don't like them, ever since they shot past the Star Wars CCG, and Magic to the top seat of gaming retail.

B

Baron Sengir

You'll have to forgive my brother. The little buttnugget hasn't been the same since he started being able to actually beat me at the Star Wars CCG. I think it went to his head.

A bit of friendly advice from the source of all your pain: don't be too mouthy or sarcastic, Ihsan. It's funny at first but gets reeeaaal old after awhile. Anyone of you old-timers remember Zephid from thedojo pages? He was kind of mouthy and misteriously disappeared. I think the infernal buttnugget from below got him.
Now he's mining nuggets from the infernal one's own infernal crack.

Just a word of advice from your elder ... Take it or leave it.

I remain
The Baron
Mining some nuggets of my own ... (eeeww!!)

I

Ishans Shade

I figured that this would happen. I just wanted to see how long it would take before poeple got tired of it. I must admit it took longer than I thought. But I will take your advice old man, and let the sharp tongue dull a bit.