Evoke and Rescue Creatures

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Rakarth, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Rakarth New Member

On the subject of the deck I just posted, I have a question about evoke. The way that it is worded

From the Comprehensive Rules
    • 502.74. Evoke
      • 502.74a Evoke represents two abilities: a static ability that functions in any zone from which the card can be played, and a triggered ability that functions in play. "Evoke [cost]" means "You may play this card by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost" and "When this permanent comes into play, if its evoke cost was paid, its controller sacrifices it." Paying a card's evoke cost follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 409.1b and 409.1fh.
    It seems that the card has an inherent When this creature CIP ability if the evoke cost is played. Does this mean I can respond to my own creatures ability going on the stack by playing Whitemane Lion or Stonecloaker and choosing the evoked elemental as the creature I return to my hand?

I know it doesn't target but the Lion's ability will go on the stack, resolve and return the evoked creature before the sac ability resolves right?

Rakarth

(P.S - Is this a case where I know I'm right again but I can't help asking anyway? :p)
  2. Shabbaman insert avatar here

I think that's how the Blink riders deck works, so I'd say "yes".
  3. Modus Pwnens Eligible for User Title

Yup, let's take mulldrifter as an example. If you evoke mulldrifter, i'll come into play and two abilities will trigger. First the ability that lets you draw two cards, and then the ability that makes you sacrifice the mulldrifter. After you've chosen the order in which they go on the stack, you'll get priority, and can play things like Whitemane Lion or Momentary Blink :)
  4. Rakarth New Member

As an additon to this question, I was wondering about kicker costs and cards "remembering" what costs were paid when they were played. I assume that the Mulldrifter won't remember that it's evoke cost was ever paid after it has been blinked.

I guy I play with always describes this as a card which changes zone becomes a completely new card and remembers nothing of it's characteristics beforehand. So this must mean that anything with a kicker cost can only be payed once and will only take effect once? Blinking it will do nothing?

Another little question about evoke and Confusion in the Ranks :) I obviously want to use the evoke creatures to come into play, steal a creature using the exchange ability from Confusion in the Ranks and then have the evoked creature sacrificed so I end up with effect and a creature from my opponent.

If I stack the abilities so that I swap creatures before the sac ability resolves, does the ability still resolve? A few of my mates seem to believe that the rules governing exchanges indicate that because I control the sac ability but not the creature then I can't sac a creature I don't control.

Any ideas?

Rakarth
  5. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

if you mean it has left the play zone, then yes it will remember nothing about it being in play. The only time a permanent will remember anything when leaving the play zone is when it phases out/in.

If you blink a Ana Battlemage after playing it with both or one of the kickers paid, Then it will come back into play without any kickers.
    Your friends a most likely right, but because of the sac rule, not the exchange rule.
    501.6a To sacrifice a permanent, its controller moves it from the in-play zone directly to its owner’s graveyard. A player can’t sacrifice something that isn’t a permanent, or something that’s a permanent he or she doesn’t control
  6. Rakarth New Member

The part in bold indicates that the controller sacs the creature when it CIP but if I don't control it then I can't sac it, however I got this from the MTG Salvation wiki on Evoke and there's a part on the Rulings which says

"...Similarly, if a creature played with evoke changes controllers after it comes into play but before its sacrifice ability resolves, it will still be sacrificed."

I'm not sure if the rules have changed in order to make this work correctly or if there are rules which I haven't seen that mean this does work?

Rakarth
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I don't think what Mooseman posted about the sac rule is relevant to evoke. It's correct in terms of saccing permanents as a cost, but as the bold part states for evoke, the controller of the evoked permanent sacs it, whether it's the player who played the evoke ability or the opponent. Evoke doesn't care who played the ability, it just cares that the permanent will be sacced, no matter who controls it.
  8. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

I think Spidey is correct. I didn't see that rule about evoke.....