Episode III and its surprise ending

Ferret

Staff member
You know, this is one of those times I'm glad I'm in the military because occasionaly they'll do something really cool like bring a movie here either at the same time or before it's released in the states. Today's example was Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (boy, that's a long title). Aside from having to endure Dean Caine and some chick from The O.C. visiting and telling us "how great" we are - and a projector that kept losing the picture and/or sound, I got treated to a pretty decent film.

Now, I'm going to wait until a few of you have seen it because I don't want to give away anything. I'm mean, sure, we all know WHAT happens, but it's really cool to see HOW it happens. It's kind of like 'Titanic'. you know what's going to happen, but why not sit there for a few hours and find out how the writers explain it...

-Ferret

"Was anyone here around when we were blasting Episode I on The Dojo?"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ferret said:
"Was anyone here around when we were blasting Episode I on The Dojo?"
Yeah, I remember that. It was a while ago and I was young and stupid, but I remember it... ;)

I was apparently going to see Episode III tomorrow. A friend of mine got to see it a while back (at a very early screening because he's a journalist or something) but yesterday he took another friend and that guy decided that I wouldn't like it. I know that I hated the first two prequels. Supposedly this one is better (my friend who reviewed it claimed that it is better than A New Hope).

N

Nightstalkers

I can't stand Jar Jar Blinks... Everytime I see Episode I, I just feel like jumping through the screen and beating the living crap outta that character.

As for Episode III, I'm waiting till it comes out on video to see it. That's what I do with all movies. I do however have a standing ticket with a friend if I want to go see it this weekend. I won't take it, but I'm sure he'll have a great time.

Habuki

"Light saber duels in the parkinglots, you 'jedi' have way too much time on your hands."

Ferret

Staff member
Since no one has still seen it, I'm still waiting patiently to have a discussion w/o giving away too much of the movie; However, here's something from the Episode II premier for your viewing pleasure:

Triumph vs. The Nerds

-Ferret

"Hopefully, not too many of us will identify w/ these people"

C

Chaos Turtle

I saw it Saturday. I think it's the 2nd-best of the six. I feel it took a while to really get rolling, but once it did...wowie!

What was it you found so surpising, I wonder?

N

Nightstalkers

Heh... I went down and played a mock lightsaber battle. I wouldnt' have gone, but they had a sign outside saying "bring your own lightsaber." So you can kinda guess what I did... If not, here's a geist:

4 D batteries, Cattle prong, & some rewiring.

I now have a functional lightsaber that shocks someone if they touch the "blade" part.

D

DarthFerret

I saw the movie Sunday afternoon. My sister-in-law had an extra ticket. I was more impressed with this movie than the previous 2. The most impressive thing to me was, as far as I could tell, Lucas did not leave any holes, or make any mistakes. Everything flowed pretty well in line with the first two, as well as the original trilogy. I am not a complete fanatic, but I have read the books that go with the movies (and one or two others). I think he did a top notch job with this movie, but am still waiting for the funds to by the book and see how much did not make it into the movie. (Episode I had an entire speeder race that was not shown in the movie).

D

DarthFerret

Actually, here is the thing. Lucas had the screenplays for these done quite a while ago (although I am pretty sure he was constantly editing them..). He hired some of the biggest names in Fantasy Literature to write the books for the first 3 episodes...

Episode I : Terry Brooks (Magic Kingdom: For Sale/Sold, Shannara Series, etc...)

Episode II: I forget the name as the book is in storage, but believe he wrote a few novels for Forgotten Realms among other works..

Episode III: Not quite as big a name, but still a good name in fantasy lit. (Don't ask me, I do not have the book yet, but remeber seeing the author and knowing who it was)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Right, but the books were based on the screenplays (i.e. movies), not the other way around. The authors might have had "poetic license" to fill in stuff such as add an extra speeder race.

Unless the speeder race WAS in the original script and was dropped on the cutting floor during movie editing...

Ferret

Staff member
Spiderman said:
Unless the speeder race WAS in the original script and was dropped on the cutting floor during movie editing...
Speaking of "cutting" what is the deal w/ Lucas and dismemberment in the Star Wars films? Let's analyze, shall we?

Episode IV - C3PO has his arm removed by the Sandpeople and Obi Wan takes off that random guy in the bar's ("He doesn't like you!") arm.

Episode V - Luke's Hand.

Episode VI - Darth Vader's fake hand (see episode II).

Episode I - no dismemberments! (removing half of Dath Maul's body doesn't count!).

Episode II - Anakin's real hand (that must have sucked the second time around) and Jango Fett's head at the hands of Mace Windu.

Episode III - too many to count. Let's just say that he convinced me that he really likes to see arms/legs/heads fly. I'm amazed they still got away w/ only a PG-13 rating...

-Ferret

"Not again!"

D

DarthFerret

heh heh, well, when you have lightsabre duels, what can you expect. A regular sword can cut and not go through, but not so much with a lightsabre. And as for droid pieces flying everywhere, well, how else do you injur a droid other than a major electrical short?

N

Nightstalkers

I don't see why they didn't just do that electricity thing and fry all those droids.

D

DarthFerret

I think that the electricity thing was soley for the "Dark Side" of the force, and they were the ones in control of the robot thingies.