End of Days: The Ultimate Unlimited Set

Killer Joe

Hey, can Wiz Co REALLY keep MTG going for many more years? I mentioned this several years ago and I was thinking about it today; when the end DOES come, and my friends, it w-i-l-l come, how will the end of MTG happen?

Scenerio #1
Wiz Co had been on-the-rocks for several sets and all the magic web sites are nearly DEAD. Once huge tournaments are now just a side event at crappy cons. Hasbro sells the company to some wanna-be savior and foom! All printing stops. We're left with the remains of what was once a great dynasty in the gaming world and nothing new to add.

Die-hards, like me and you, will still have groups that play the game like those "boardgamegeeks" that still play out-of-print games. But in a few years even THOSE still playing MTG will fade from the game in boredom. Someone will rewrite the rules for "house play" trying to revive a dead beat ccg but alas, the line goes straight...

<fade to black>

Scenerio #2
It's been rumored for several years now that Wiz Co plans on putting MTG to bed, and when it finally DOES happen everyone's mentally prepared for the end. Wiz Co makes the end a Gala Premier Event: The 25th Anniversary Ultimate Unlimited Set. Everyones favorite cards are in it, the backs have finally been changed to a more modern and lasting look and the face of the cards are of a slightly more brilliant color. All the classic cards are now "Textless" and the lands are fantastic works of art. The set has over 3,000 cards and they have finally added the "Purple" color ;) with the name of the basic land called the Nether Plane. 10 pre-constructed decks are released one of each of the original double color combination; WU - UB - BR - RG - GW - WB - UR - BG - RW - and GU. Every deck has the corralating Dual Land in it with the face lift. All black bordered and the new expansion symbol; The Face of God (okay that's a little dramatic, it'll be the face of Dr. Garfield :)).

A final "World Championship" takes place in all of the formats including the new virtual reality version of the game that plugs right into your nural Gov. issued implant from the "2015 anti-human act". A building will be erected in Seattle called the Magic: The Gathering Hall of Fame with a statue of Jon Finkle sitting across from Mike Long in a death match from the 2012 World Championships. The building will be a replica of Urza's Tower standing 1,000 ft. tall.

Magic Onmind (formerly Online) will continue to grow with input from world magic leaders elected by the F-POM (Free People's of Magic: The Gathering).

In 2050 a real life sized City of Brass is erected in the Pacific Northwest, there, only the folks that actually played the game when it was still in print are allowed to visit or even retire there. Old folks sit on patios in the gleeming warm sun playing MTG on marble tables and all is well in the world.....

<white out to the glistening sun>

I - am - SO - FREAKIN" - BORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's gonna be #1, but with none of the "original" (as in the current employees as they've worked on it for a number of years, like Rosewater) still on board.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think that your second scenario is a bit crazy. More likely, it would be something in-between #1 and #2. Personally, I am more expecting that it will be a lot like #1...

Killer Joe

Okay, try this on for size:

Scenario #1:
First, there's a gradual decline (like over a 3 year period) of retail sales. There is also a gradual decline of tournament play. Hasbro sees the writting on the wall. Hasbro puts Wiz Co. up for sale and another game making company buys it, (like the folks who make the VS System with Jeff Donais) and puts Magic on the back burner and debates whether or not to continue to print it. Soon aft4erwards ideas for the game have to either add another aspect for the game like adding a board game version or something like that and it bombs anyway........

Scenerio #2:
A German game company (maybe the folks who make Settlers of Cattan or Rio Grande Games) make Hasbro an offer to buy Wiz Co. even though it's not in trouble. They buy it, improve it and it fails due to too many "Hard Cores" not being able to accept change, even GOOD ONES! and it bombs....

Scenerio #3:
In the not-too-distant future, Wiz Co. accidently creates yet another "Combo Winter" and the tournament players have had it and move on to Poker or somthing else to fill the void. No amount of letter writting campaign by 'casual players' can save it if the tounament players aren't on board and the game goes bust.

Scenerio #4:
Hasbo makes a half hearted attempt to make Magic immortal and a final print of an Unlimited Set come out, the size of three large sets (some 900 - 1,000 cards). The set doesn't come out with any new cards and Hasbro has agreed to keep it on the market for sale as long as it sales well within expected profit range. Eventually, maybe years from now, it goes bust and <poof> MTG is gone.

Man, I hate every ONE of these :mad: