Encyclopedia Dominia

G

Gizmo

I think it might be a good idea to produce some sort of A-Z of deck archetypes, because very often you`ll find people asking things like "whats a Trix deck?", "How does Full English breakfast work?" etc etc. So this is here for people to throw up deck archetype names that I`m going to have forgotten.

The big decks, such as Sligh, Necro, Stasis, etc etc will probbaly each have their own larger entry that details different designs over time, but I`m going to need a list of things like:
Squirrel Prison
ErTog
Piley Blast
Teapot
Sandsipoise
Frenetic Hammer
CounterPhoenix

(Time for my Commandant Lassard impersonation)
And of course there are many, many, MANY more wonderful deck designs.

For now i`m not sure how to handle T1, as it tends to throw up lots of decks, but few actual archetypes. I think i`d want 'Zoo' for instance as a T1 archetype, but not 'lots of good spells slung together.dec' that you have got built.

In general I`d also like to avoid decks that aren`t that well known - such as something you or your friends built once and it was really good. This is hoping to be an A-Z of the known deck archetypes.

So all that said - fire away. Give me everything and I might not use some of them if I feel they aren`t realy different from other decks already listed, or so forth, but it`s better to tell me and heave me decide not to use it than not tell me.

Thanks.

G

Gizmo

I`m just going to put a load down here as a I think of them:

Sneak Attack
Countersliver
Godzilla
Buried Alive
High Tide
Academy
Prosperous Bloom
Reap Lace
Living Death
Donais5c
Stupid Green Deck
"14"
"21"
Pebbles
Trix
Stompy
Stasis
Sligh
White Weenie
Necropotence
Pox
GarglHaups
TurboHaups
Jar
ErTog
5cGreen
5cBlack
Bargain
Sexy Rector
Secret Force
Zoo
CounterOath
Curious George
TradeAwake
Tradewind Survival
Full English Breakfast
CounterPost
Draw-Go
Forbiddian
AlTran Beatdown
Humble Prayer
Prison
Skies
Fish
CounterRebels
RoShamBo
Ponza
Wildfire
Tinker
Nether-Go
Squirrel Prison
Rock And His Millions
Orbosition
Mono-Brown
ErnhaGeddon/MaroGeddon
Horsecraft
Mesacraft
Turboland
Enchantress

Thast plenty for starters.

Hmm, this good be one BIIIIIIIIG article...
:eek:

M

Mundungu

Trinity
Angry Hermit
Rec/Sur
Secret Force
Empyrial White
PT junk
Hatred (might be same category as suicide black though)
LD
Turboland, turboland w.Oath
Accelerated blue
REplenish
AnkhTide

Do you also want the current archetypes ?
like rebels, counter rebels, Fires, etc ??

F

fuzzy510

Did we forget SRB? And TICM's incarnations of it, VSRB, and IUSRB?

U

Ura

Black Ice
Necroweenie
Flagpole
LivingDeath
Palin-flare/Palin-tide
Stupid Green deck
The Deck/The Franchise/The Restricted List
Ponza
Dead guy red
Draw-go
Turbo-stasis
Fires
Machine Head
Squanderhaups
Ankhtide
CounterBurn
Thallidcraft
Pheldaball

C

Captain Caveman

Two-Pints
Green 5 Color
Pebbles(fruity &/or cocoa)
Tinker(Iron Giant)
Squirrel-Prison
Squee-Bind
Three Deuce
Frozen Fish
Ponza
The Rock and his Minions
Enchantress
Untouchables
Legion Land Loss
Task Force(CPA Deck)
Jar
4CB
El-Nino
Contaminator
TS
Phish
WW/Cataclysm
Iron Phoenix
Ankh-Tide

T

theorgg

Anything a primer was written on

Rippledisc
Turbo-fog
Turbo-abeyance
Turbo-stasis

That's all I can think of right now that was missing...

G

Gizmo

I know, I think I did a pretty comprehensive job of the top o fmy head. I must just now an absolutely terrifying amount about Magic. :(
For each of those decsk i could tell you key cards, good matchups, bad matchups, SB tech. etc etc.

I think I need professional help.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Originally posted by Gizmo
Hmm, this good be one BIIIIIIIIG article...
:eek:
Screw an article -- IMO, you have enough stuff (well, enough archetypes at least; writeups'll be the fun part :)) to put together a site dedicated to them.

<edit>
Unless you're just going for an A-Z *list*. Either way, it'll still be pretty long :)
</edit>

[Unrelated note: Man, I just played Magic for the first time in about 2 years (did 2 invasion block drafts). Wow, I forgot a lot of rules. But definately had a blast! :D]

C

Chaos Turtle

I think you've got every major type I could think of, assuming that by general names like "Bargain" you'll be covering important versions/mutations of the decks (Sabre Bargain, Metal Bargain, etc).

This is gonna be a lot of work. ;) Good luck!

Z

Zadok001

Wow. Giz, you're in for a LONG bit of writing, there. Will you be needing decklists for all those? I can hunt some up if you'd like a hand. :)

G

Gizmo

Currently I`ve got them all on a database (104 decktypes in all, many of them broad categories for multiple minor variants, ie: "Sligh"). I think I might have to knock it up AS a site, as Ed intended, certianly I would like to be able to run cross-references from one deck to another where appropriate.

Currently I`m not intending to use decklists in 100% of the decks, but probably a good 50-60% at least (and hell, if it gets to 80% I might as well finish the job :) ).

Right now the bit i`m going to need help on is dating the decks, when they became succesful, and when they died out - either by expansion, by banning, or by the development of another decktype.
Also I know about zip about extended before a certain date (I do`t tihnk it was very widely played pre-Academy) and even less about T1 deck archetypes.

I hope to be able to use this project to replace at least part of the missing knowledge from The Dojo archives.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
rakso and other Beyond Domina regulars might be able to help in regards to Type I and Extended (I'm sure other people here might also, the site just springs to mind since I put up a Primer today).

M

Mundungu

Giz is about to become the "Magic librarian".

Fun apart, I think it is a great idea to do something like this.
Why not host such a feature on the CPA ?

Since many new or "casual" players come here, we could have a "well of knowledge" ready for their thirsty minds ...

G

Gizmo

Lol. Funny you should mention that, I`m taking a serious look at Librarian as a career.