Enchantment Auras explained...

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Spiderman, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I posted this in General under "9th Edition" thread, but it's worth its own thread in Rules :)

Enchantment Auras Explained

Plus some other minor tweaks in the 9th rules. And guess who wound up as new Rules Manager? Funnyman Mark Gottlieb!
  2. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Yeah, I remember seeing that Aura thing on Gatherer a couple of days ago when I was searching for "X damage". Funky. Now I know what's going on.

(- Steve -)
  3. Oversoul The Tentacled One

So apparently "Enchant World" is now "World Enchantment."
  4. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

My opinion? The rewording is just some technicality and the aura thing is to make it easier to refer to "local enchantment" because good old crystalkeep is kaput.
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

But doesn't Gatherer do the same thing basically?

Like Mark said, it probably makes sense to those who worry in depth about the types and supertypes and the role they play on Magic cards... :)
  6. Killer Joe Active Member

IMO, I really appreciate the effort Wiz Co R&D is putting into 'cleaning' things up. It's funny though, 12 years after the game went to print there are still improvements being made. I LIKE IT!
  7. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Well, kind of...

When I look up Infernal Spawn of Evil on Gatherer, I see the Oracle text, but I don't see this...

# You can only pay for the ability when it's in your hand. [Barclay 1998/08/13]
    # If you've got more than one Infernal Spawn of Evil in your hand, you may only use the ability once per upkeep total, not once per Spawn. [Barclay 1998/08/13]
    # You can say "It's coming" in any language. For example, "Przybywa!" in Polish, "Kuru zo!" in Japanese, "Bientot!" in French, or "Es Kommt!" in German. [TomHa 1998/09/15]
    # All tournament formats have banned cards from Unglued.
    # Note - Also see First Strike, Rule 502.2.
    # Note - Also see Unglued rulings, Rule 507.
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Well, I did say "basically", not "exactly"...
  9. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I know. And I said "kind of."

Does anyone know if there's a website that still updates and posts rulings like CrystalKeep did?
  10. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Not I... It's surprising that WOTC doesn't have it in one place, since that where all the info came from for Crystalkeep...
  11. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Oooh, they should keep the neato text there on the site... But the supertype thing... it's gettin' a little odd. I foresee WotC botching this new enchantment tagging. Remember what they did with Artifact Lands? Sure there were only five of them, but there could have been more *shiver*...

Whose to say that they won't start up something that is worded like "destroy all auras" and then most of the people will go nutz with the whole idea...

Pros and cons people.... pros and cons...
  12. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Artifact Lands were fine, it's just with the affinity mechanic (i.e. getting a spell for "free") they were a bit much. Anything giving something "free" is always dangerous - Urza's Saga mechanic of the untapping of lands, Dream Halls...
  13. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Priest of Gix, Skyshroud Cutter, Tempting Wurm...
  14. orgg Administrator

Both Priest of Gix and Skyshroud Cutter were in BRUTAL decks in their time... Tempting Wurm, however, is horrible-- it gives everyone ELSE free thigns.

*shudder* Just THINKING of Gaea's Cutter .dec makes me shudder! That thing was BRUTAL.