Eleague casual or non-casual?

W

Waubers

Are they still considered Casual play since their tournies aren't for money or because it is a tournament format do we not want to be associated with them?

Ferret

Staff member
Personaly, I don't like using Apprentice, but I don't think there's anything they can do to keep us from playing there...

-ferret

"...I holding out for the Magic Enclyclopedia"

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
As an opening note, I'd say that they aren't casual. I mean look at the EToC, it was run at level 5 rules!

There's nothing wrong w/ associating with them. We may be casual players, or we may not be. I'm a co-founder and I still play in the occasional tourney. If you want to have an organized voice, you can join. Even if you are Jon Finkel. :)

-mike

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Waubers,
Casual for the purpose of what, exactly? It was my impression we are a non-exclusive group, dedicated to preserving the game we love to play, and we include everyone who considers themselves casual to be a part of it. I too, occasionally play in store tourneys, but I always try to have a good time when I'm there, even when I'm bounced in the 1st round, and I usually hang around and play with my friends there when that happens.

The more important issue is the exposure a link on E-League would give us. I think ANY Magic-related site willing to link with us is OK in my book, as it will help to spread the word and build membership.

Any thoughts?

TomB
CPA Member
"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref Tutor

Z

Zadok001

I'm with TomB on that one. We really don't have any limitations as to who joins us. Our group name is simply representative of the group of players who we believe don't have enough of a vote in how Magic is run.

I play in occasional tourneys, and watch my Greater Good deck get casually smashed by everything it goes against (except WW, which I smash gleefully). Oh, well.

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

L

Limner

I think it would be self-defeating to become elitist in our attitudes. Just because you choose to play in tournaments does not mean you aren't a casual player. In addition competitive Magic drives the rules, bannings and errata to which we (the CPA) are attempting to modify by our collective input. Although I myself am abstaining from the tournament scene (since I am boycotting the new releases and finding it more and more difficult to build Type II decks) I have considered E-League as the cards are virtual and the cost is minimal (you still have to have a computer, electricity, and net access). Just some thoughts...the Limner.

W

Waubers

I agree mostly with you. This thread kind of died and it looks like there might be a play area on the new site! I have gone the opposite direction of you in my play habbits in that I now only build decks in type II format. I find it gives me a bigger challenge and I don't have many type I cards at least untill Rath cycles out. I might have to change my ways when it does. I have also limmited myself to only playing 3 colors. I brought this thread up because at the time there was a lot of confusion as to what the CPA actually was. Now whether or not you use E-league is you choice the CPA doesn't care.

Waubers

I wonder what the sleeper hit card will be? After all Cursed scroll and tradewind rider were only worth 6 bucks till after exodus.

Z

Zadok001

Going to shoot off on a tangent and tell you what I think those sleeper hits will be: Scrying Glass, Powder Keg, and Opposition.

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic