Earthquake and Bloodhound

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Gryphonclaw, Apr 4, 2000.

1. Gryphonclaw New Member

1.Will an Earthquake (say 3 point) kill a Bloodhound?
    Assume no other relevant cards.
    2. Will that earthquake kill a Sabre Ants with Bravado? (assume no bonus by bravado, yet) I think it might.

Only answer this if you are very confident in your ruling.
  2. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

How does 95% confident sound? 'Cause it's all I've got. Don't worry, I'll be certain by tomorrow (look it up for ya'), but for now, I'll answer the second question.

Yes.

Damage has to resolve for the Ants to start producing, so the chain of events is this:

Saber Ants is assigned three damage.
    Three damage is dealt to Saber Ants.
    Triggered effect of creating three tokens goes on the stack.
    Statebased effects are checked (player's life at 0, creature with toughness 0, lethal damage, illegal game state), Saber Ants are found to have lethal damage and are buried.
    Triggered ability resolves, three Insects come into play.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

"I consider having WAY too much spare time to be an artform..."
  3. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

You should have a little more faith in yourself, Zadok. :)

The Eartquake for 3 will kill the Bloodhound, because the damage will be dealt, then before triggers (add three +1/+1 counters to BHound, in this case) will go on the stack, there is a check for SBE's (state-based effects) which will result in the BHound's death. When the trigger resolves, it will be o****ered, as the BHound is gone.

The Saber Ants will die for the same reason. They are dead before the tokens come into play, so both the SAnts and the Bravado will be destroyed beforehand.
  4. Gryphonclaw New Member

This is what I suspected.
    Thanks all.
    Now if I have a jade monolith in play and re-direct the damage from the hounds to myself. I take 6, you take 3, the board is cleared of non-flyers, you take another 7 from my hound. :)
  5. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Wheeeee!
    Neat idea!
  6. Gryphonclaw New Member

Especially if I spirit link my bloodhound....

Hey Ed, close this thread or we'll really get off topic. :) (not a threat, but a strong suspicion)

[Edited by Gryphonclaw (04-06-2000 at 05:16 PM).]